LFS bettas have weird mark on heads

1. frogfan Well Known Member Member

I am going to get a betta soon once i clean my 10 g out when i was looking at them the other day at the LFS they all have this brick red spot on their head above their mouths. They were mostly bright colors but a few white and pale pinks but they all seemed to have the same discolored area right above there mouths between their eyes. I have checked google images to see if this is common or if its from stress or an illness but all the pictures are from the side or at an angle where you cant see the area im talking about. Almost all the bettas were in cups with a few in small betta display tanks had good color and seemed well cared for despite being in small cups. So can someone tell me if this orangey red spot is normal or if i should shop else where for my betta also what meds/ chemicals should I be adding to the new bettas tank to help reduce its stress and any illness it may initially have I have activate which the LFS said is basically TSS and i have a water conditioner similar to prime

Just went into petco to check their bettas as a compareson to aquariums most of them has a dark area on their heads but only the lighter ones had the brick red color

2. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Are you talking about an imperfect mask? Honestly I wouldn't worry. Just pick a healthy fish and you'll have a good shot at them surviving transfer to your tank.

3. frogfan Well Known Member Member

I dont know what an imperfect mask is

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

4. kittykat0725 Member Member

I have never heard that problem, research, and do you have any pictures? Also the tank sounds like it is healthy by what you have done. Maybe they are just changing color, when bettas are happy they normally change color from what you have bought them in.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

5. frogfan Well Known Member Member

The tank in my profile needs to be updated right now its got a bunch of sick guppies in it with a fungual issue i cant get rid of i dont have a picture of the fish my phone was dead when i saw them i will just try and gwt the healthyest looking 1 maybe 1 from.the display tank since they have extra space

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app