Lfs Advert

1. M

Matty6477 Valued Member Member

Hey everyone.

I am subscribed to one of my LFS's mailing list, and received one of their weekly emails yesterday.

Looking through it I saw the following:

New in: Clarias Catfish, Red Tail x Shovelnose

We have several catfish currently available in-store. On offer are three fish, two gorgeous dappled Clarias Catfish and one spotted Red Tail Shovelnose cross. These have come to us privately and we're currently looking for a suitable home for them to grow up in and live the rest of their days.

These catfish are already a respectable size but have more growing to do yet. These fish will only be sold to a setup suitable for them so if you're interested please bear with us while we size their potential new home up! We're ideally looking for them to be in around 300 litres of water, and they will require a tropical setup.

What do you lot reckon to this in their advert?

2. S

Stephen Hiatt Well Known Member Member

A Red Tail x Shovelnose would require at least a 200-250 gallon tank (760-950 liters). I wouldn't bother with it unless you have a tank that size.

3. s

smee82 Well Known Member Member

I would probably unsubscribe

4. Danjamesdixon

Danjamesdixon Well Known Member Member

I'd tell them that they misspelt gallons as litres.

5. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

Whoever buys the fish will probably have the euthanize them eventually. It's the way of fish that should only be in enormous tanks. They don't stop growing and once the novelty of having a monster fish wears off, you have to find your own inner monster and kill a pet.
    The ad doesn't matter. They are trying. Everyone passes the buck with 'rescues' of these poor unfortunate beasts. "Come to us privately" says they are trying to help some fool who bought them small and has realized his/her foolishness. It isn't the store's fault. That's a fish dump and a store trying to help.

6. grantm91

grantm91 Fishlore VIP Member

Just google the fish and look at pictures, they are not meant for tanks, they need a tropical pond in my opinion.

7. OP
    OP
    M

Matty6477 Valued Member Member

I wasn't planning to, just wanted to see people's opinions on what they said.
    Also this same LFS store, is one that told someone I know, that Mbunas, Haps and Peacocks can live together fine.

That's what I was hoping for :)

8. Danjamesdixon

Danjamesdixon Well Known Member Member

Why not get involved and get him into a public aquarium? I've done that with large fish that have been bought in error by customers/shops before.