LFS accidentally gave me baby cherry shrimp. What to do?

Jl29

Hi all,
Just picked up some more cherry shrimp from my LFS. Got the bag home and noticed 2 tiny stowaways- about 2-3mm long! My cardinals are literally circling the bag and my wife feels bad.. so wondering how I could raise these? I don't have a spare heater or filter is the main issue.
Was thinking some sort of floating Tupperware in my tank with bit of Java fern for cover. Any other ideas appreciated.. otherwise it's a happy day for the cardinals!
Thanks a lot

Attachments

• IMG_20220219_173148865.jpg
    IMG_20220219_173148865.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 8

richiep

Feed your fish then leave them go in the opposite side, they take their chance

Demeter

Baby shrimp are most at risk when they are swimming in open water. If your neons behave anything like my rainbow and rice fish, once the shrimplets have landed on the substrate they are left alone. I would take a pipette, suck them up and then squirt them into some plants where they can hide. There’s a good chance they will survive if they make it the first day.

Also, you will have more babies as the shrimp breed. You should put a stocking or sponge over the filter intake so they don’t get sucked up.

otterblue

You could return them to the LFS.

Shadowfox

If you have java moss in your tank then they stand a chance of hiding in it. As suggested before, feed your fish, then while they are distracted put the shrimp in. I'd worry a dish would not have enough food for them to survive in.

Jl29

Thanks everyone for the great ideas. Return to LFS not really on the cards so managed to suck them into a syringe and get them in the java. A fighting chance at least. Thanks for the filter tip @dementer

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Dejuand555
Replies
Views
richiep
Replies
Views
LJC6780
Replies
Views