Levamisole in Canada? Help 

Bam

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Any fellow Canadians out there have any tips for how getting fish medication works now? I was out of the hobby for a few years, back then you could just buy things off the shelf... What do you do now? Any reputable international sellers you could recommend? Do you really go to a vet for these things or?

I specifically need levamisole as I introduced some new fish & didn't quarantine them (because I am very stupid) and within 3 weeks they started showing signs of late stage callamanus worms. These new fish are all dead already but I'm worried about the rest of my tank.

Salem

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You wont be able to find it in stores here because of its a controlled substance now or something?

I bought mine here.

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Be careful ordering international... if customs by chance opens it for screening, it could spell hefty fines i believe.

Kordon Ich+ apparently can be soaked on food and fed to fish for internal parasites. I think it was @richie.p who gave a tip on that

Algonquin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It's becoming increasingly difficult to find fish meds here. About 2 years ago, the API stuff (General Cure, Fungus Cure etc) found in most Petsmart stores etc started to disappear... now I'm seeing a lot of the Seachem meds gone from places like Big Als. I bought a bottle of Prazipro from them a bit over a year ago, and it's gone now too. All you can really get here now are the 'Fix' meds... like BettaFix, MelaFix, etc. Sigh.

There seems to be a Levamisole product available on Ebay.ca that is shipped from the US, it's meant for deworming cattle & sheep. Of course, you would need someone knowledgeable on the correct dosing for aquarium use.

Bam

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Awhile ago I purchased some API general cure for parasites off eBay just to have on hand, I've already treated the tank with it as my only hope but everyone else I've talked to says callamanus is killer and nothing will kill it but levamisole.

Bam

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Salem said:
You wont be able to find it in stores here because of its a controlled substance now or something?

I bought mine here.
Not sure where you're from but you can't purchase more than ich or fungus cure here from what I've seen. Anything with antibiotics or harder medicine in it requires a prescription now. But not many people want to pay vet bills for a $5 fish.

Salem

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm in southern Ontario and had the fun time of dealing with camallanus in my guppy tank. I can agree with the general notion that nothing really works except levamisole. I lost 4 out of my 5 guppies despite trying to treat it with things available here. The final one was able to be saved but only after waiting like 2 weeks for the levamisole to come in and losing several of my snails to other meds.

Bam

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Salem said:
I'm in southern Ontario and had the fun time of dealing with camallanus in my guppy tank. I can agree with the general notion that nothing really works except levamisole. I lost 4 out of my 5 guppies despite trying to treat it with things available here. The final one was able to be saved but only after waiting like 2 weeks for the levamisole to come in and losing several of my snails to other meds.
Sounds like we have almost the exact same scenario... I always just feel a little paranoid ordering things online that aren't allowed here, and by the time they get here it's too late, but it's really the only way. It's not even like I could go to a vet with proof, maybe I should have kept a corpse but idk, hindsight is 20/20.

Every other guppy but one is dead now, I think I might have had a columnaris outbreak too (the first to go had a saddle but I saw no signs on the others?) or something because I didn't think callamanus could spread & kill this fast? But good luck getting medication for that either, sigh. Columnaris should "die" /go dormant without a host (I think), but at this point I'm just worried about my ability to ever restock without bleaching the whole tank of the parasite, since I heard it can survive a very long time & doesn't need a host :(

This might sound dumb but if I just nuked an empty tank with levamisole could it save me tearing it down & getting new substrate & what not? I have a lot of plants.

Salem

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Bam said:
Sounds like we have almost the exact same scenario... I always just feel a little paranoid ordering things online that aren't allowed here, and by the time they get here it's too late, but it's really the only way. It's not even like I could go to a vet with proof, maybe I should have kept a corpse but idk, hindsight is 20/20.

Every other guppy but one is dead now, I think I might have had a columnaris outbreak too (the first to go had a saddle but I saw no signs on the others?) or something because I didn't think callamanus could spread & kill this fast? But good luck getting medication for that either, sigh. Columnaris should "die" /go dormant without a host (I think), but at this point I'm just worried about my ability to ever restock without bleaching the whole tank of the parasite, since I heard it can survive a very long time & doesn't need a host :(

This might sound dumb but if I just nuked an empty tank with levamisole could it save me tearing it down & getting new substrate & what not? I have a lot of plants.
I think that dosing the whole tank with levamisole should work though I would personally suggest dosing just the recommended amount. Partially to save some in case some more pop up later down the line but also because it doesn't really kill them just paralyzes them.
I'm sure you've read this but incase you haven't-- you basically add the levamisole to a little cup of water then add it to the tank after its all dissolved. Then within about 24 hours do a 50% water change making sure to vacuum the substrate. Generally with fish it's best to do this process 3 times but if the tank is empty at the time I'm not sure that is fully necessary. I personally would do it the 3 times with a week between just to make sure you get any babies or stragglers.

Bam

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Salem said:
I think that dosing the whole tank with levamisole should work though I would personally suggest dosing just the recommended amount. Partially to save some in case some more pop up later down the line but also because it doesn't really kill them just paralyzes them.
I'm sure you've read this but incase you haven't-- you basically add the levamisole to a little cup of water then add it to the tank after its all dissolved. Then within about 24 hours do a 50% water change making sure to vacuum the substrate. Generally with fish it's best to do this process 3 times but if the tank is empty at the time I'm not sure that is fully necessary. I personally would do it the 3 times with a week between just to make sure you get any babies or stragglers.
Yeah for sure, thanks for the tips, I wouldn't go crazy regardless just ya know, don't have to worry about killing livestock at that point lol. Without a host are the worms actually visible? I'm not sure how much experience you have with them, but I haven't *seen* any free worms, aside from out the bottom side of a fish that is now dead, I just know that by this stage they're spitting eggs out & somehow in the water. I have done research but there's always more to learn :p

Salem

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I never saw any worms outside of a host either but I'm sure if you have a good eye and some luck you can see one or two

Bam

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Salem said:
I never saw any worms outside of a host either but I'm sure if you have a good eye and some luck you can see one or two
Good to know! Thank you for all your help, really appreciate it, hopefully I can regain control of my tank someday & learn from this experience :p

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom