Levamisole Hcl - Do I Need To Black Out The Tank?

StudentFishKeeper
HI everyone,

I’m treating my tank for C. worms and I’m going to be dozing Levamisole HCl. I’ve heard from some people saying that I need to black out the tank and others saying I don’t need to. Which is correct? The tank recieves some indirect lighting and indoor lighting.

coralbandit
I have never needed to blackout for camallanus .
I go by Charles info when it comes to this .
Camallanus Treatment - Use of Levamisole HCl

MystAngel
Hello.
I had the same issue about a year ago in my 65 gal. Follow directions to the tee and yes black out your tank. I don't remember the specifics, but that's what I did as directed. I also had 100% sucess with levamisole. Good luck

StudentFishKeeper
I have never needed to blackout for camallanus .
I go by Charles info when it comes to this .
Camallanus Treatment - Use of Levamisole HCl
Did you only leave the tank lights off? Was there any indirect lighting either from outside or inside?

Hello.
I had the same issue about a year ago in my 65 gal. Follow directions to the tee and yes black out your tank. I don't remember the specifics, but that's what I did as directed. I also had 100% sucess with levamisole. Good luck
Awesome, thanks! I did one round previously about three weeks ago with complete black out and it seemed to have gotten rid of it. However, it’s stressed out my fish greatly so I’m wondering if blacking out is really necessary. I’m just doing a second round this time to be safe.

Baba
No need to blackout the tank. If you are running UV, stop it and no carbon in filter.

MystAngel
Awesome, thanks! I did one round previously about three weeks ago with complete black out and it seemed to have gotten rid of it. However, it’s stressed out my fish greatly so I’m wondering if blacking out is really necessary. I’m just doing a second round this time to be safe.
Some people say do it, others say it's not necessary. Personally, when I delt with it I got my levamisole from subaquaria.com followed their directions, and had a successful outcome. I have also heard that levamisole is a light sensitive medication, which is why the 24hr black out is needed.
Yes the fish may become alittle stressed, but you can still peek on them, say hI and feed them. I do believe the stress is more from the meds working on the parasites than the actual blackout.

StudentFishKeeper
Have you guys had your fish swimming only around the bottom of the tank and not eating during the treatment?

Advertisement
Baba
Have you guys had your fish swimming only around the bottom of the tank and not eating during the treatment?
No, my fish acted absolute normal.
Do yours do that?
Did you dosed correctly?

StudentFishKeeper
No, my fish acted absolute normal.
Do yours do that?
Did you dosed correctly?
Yeah that’s exactly what mine did. I aimed for the 13 ppm killing concentration.

Should I have to clean out my filters? I didn’t see any worms coming out or anything since this is my second treatment.

Baba
Yeah that’s exactly what mine did. I aimed for the 13 ppm killing concentration.

Should I have to clean out my filters? I didn’t see any worms coming out or anything since this is my second treatment.

You shouldn't have to clean out the filter. The second treatment just get rid of the offsprings which survived the first round.

Did you changed anything else while doing the medication?
Did you verified your 13ppm concentration?

bizaliz3
I tell ya....treating these worms.....its crazy. I have never researched something in my life that has SOOOOOOO many different answers!!
And specifically the most serious questions like:
What size dose and how long to wait between doses. Like seriously the large number of varied answers to those two questions is INSANE!!!!

And now here is another. Yes, this drug is light sensitive and it is highly recommended that the tank be blacked out. If people were successful without blacking out...then surely they will tell you its unnecessary. But I would rather be safe than sorry. So I covered my tanks with blankets during that 24 hours. I didn't notice my fish being stressed from the dark. Maybe the meds stressed them out and you assumed it was the darkness that did it?? I mean...they aren't always going to look stress-free and happy while being medicated.

Which was what size dose?

If you did a black out, they were probably just sleeping. Or are you talking about after the lights have been back on for a while?

StudentFishKeeper
You shouldn't have to clean out the filter. The second treatment just get rid of the offsprings which survived the first round.

Did you changed anything else while doing the medication?
Did you verified your 13ppm concentration?
I used Prohibit I ordered on Amazon and followed this:

Prohibit Dose Recommendations
Total weight 52 gr
Total active ingredients (levamisole) 46.8 gr
Total active ingredients (levamisole) % 90.00%
Prohibit is 90% Levamisole 10% filler

To get 1 gram you have to use 1.15 grams of Prohibit 2.3mg/Liter = 9mg/gal

If you don't have a scale that can weight such small numbers we can use (a volar) (Ismael) calculations
Divide the package into tsp it should come out to 14 tsp
14 tsp divided by 46.8 grams of active Levamisole = to 3.35 gr/tsp
Calculation: 9mg/gal (.009 *375gal)= 3.37gr of Levamisole

1 tsp = 3.35gr
3/4tsp = 2.5gr
1/2tsp = 1.7gr
1/4tsp = .850mg
1/8tsp = .420mg

Aprox.

So then I followed the directions from Ink Maker. Assuming that 5 grams for 100 gallons creates a 13 ppm concentration, I dosed around 2.5-2.6 grams for my 60 gallons which is slightly lower than the 13 ppm concentration, but I figured it would still work. Nothing changed during the treatment. They reacted this way during my first treatment as well. The smaller danios, catfish, and pleco would always eat during the treatment. But my Angelfish, GBR, and some others would only eat after a few days. During the treatment I could see obvious signs of stress on all fish: color loss, easily scared, staying near the bottom, and frantic swimming.

StudentFishKeeper
I tell ya....treating these worms.....its crazy. I have never researched something in my life that has SOOOOOOO many different answers!!
And specifically the most serious questions like:
What size dose and how long to wait between doses. Like seriously the large number of varied answers to those two questions is INSANE!!!!

And now here is another. Yes, this drug is light sensitive and it is highly recommended that the tank be blacked out. If people were successful without blacking out...then surely they will tell you its unnecessary. But I would rather be safe than sorry. So I covered my tanks with blankets during that 24 hours. I didn't notice my fish being stressed from the dark. Maybe the meds stressed them out and you assumed it was the darkness that did it?? I mean...they aren't always going to look stress-free and happy while being medicated.

Which was what size dose?

If you did a black out, they were probably just sleeping. Or are you talking about after the lights have been back on for a while?
Yeah this is my first time dealing with this and it’s been quite a learning experience for me. I’m highly paranoid about everything now and I’m scared they may just come back in a few months . I’ve answered some of the dosage questions above. For my second treatment I didn’t black out as much as the first one, but I did wait until later in the evening when sunset to dose. I kept the tank lights off but there was still room lighting. I covered the front of the tank that night and removed it about halfway through the next day and performed a 50% water change with heavy sand vacuuming.

Baba
To get 1 gram you have to use 1.15 grams of Prohibit 2.3mg/Liter = 9mg/gal

If you don't have a scale that can weight such small numbers we can use (a volar) (Ismael) calculations
Divide the package into tsp it should come out to 14 tsp
14 tsp divided by 46.8 grams of active Levamisole = to 3.35 gr/tsp
Calculation: 9mg/gal (.009 *375gal)= 3.37gr of Levamisole

Can't really follow your math LOL but in the end it seems to be quite similar to what I calculate.

ppm equals mg/l, so you need 13mg/l
Your tank is ~227l >> 2951mg/227l
@ 90% purity its 3279mg or 3.279g of the Prohibit. You definitely under dosed. It's weird that your fish reacted this way.

I used the exact same stuff without blackout and got rid of the worms. The only one stressed out were the GBR (he had also a lot of the worms). The guppies, which were also visibly infected, didn't show any signs of stress.
Bristlenose pleco and Cory's did show signs of infestation and didn't show any signs of stress during the treatment either.
I had no snails dying of either, Ramshorn were thriving.

StudentFishKeeper
Can't really follow your math LOL but in the end it seems to be quite similar to what I calculate.

ppm equals mg/l, so you need 13mg/l
Your tank is ~227l >> 2951mg/227l
@ 90% purity its 3279mg or 3.279g of the Prohibit. You definitely under dosed. It's weird that your fish reacted this way.

I used the exact same stuff without blackout and got rid of the worms. The only one stressed out were the GBR (he had also a lot of the worms). The guppies, which were also visibly infected, didn't show any signs of stress.
Bristlenose pleco and Cory's did show signs of infestation and didn't show any signs of stress during the treatment either.
I had no snails dying of either, Ramshorn were thriving.

We’re your stressed fish reacting the same way and how many treatments did you do? I’m scared that I didn’t some how eradicate them fully and they’ll come back to haunt me in a few months. I need some assurance lol. Most of my fish seem to be acting okay now, the angelfish are eating, but less. Sort of like they had an appetite suppressor.

bizaliz3
Do you plan to do a 3rd treatment? I did. Just for extra measure! I understand your fear of them coming back. I mean....it has been a year for me in September and I still get paranoid all the time that they might resurface! Months and months passed without seeing any worms but I never wanted to celebrate!! I was afraid it wasn't over. I had to treat 18 tanks, it was the worst experience ever!! I even vacuumed every tank daily between treatments. Every tank. I only had the worms in 2 tanks, but I treated all my tanks to be safe. I hope and pray that I never have to go through that experience ever again!!!

StudentFishKeeper
Do you plan to do a 3rd treatment? I did. Just for extra measure! I understand your fear of them coming back. I mean....it has been a year for me in September and I still get paranoid all the time that they might resurface! Months and months passed without seeing any worms but I never wanted to celebrate!! I was afraid it wasn't over. I had to treat 18 tanks, it was the worst experience ever!! I even vacuumed every tank daily between treatments. Every tank. I only had the worms in 2 tanks, but I treated all my tanks to be safe. I hope and pray that I never have to go through that experience ever again!!!
I wasn’t planning on it since most people recommend just 2 treatments. But now that you mention it might consider it in 2-3 weeks. I just don’t want to stress out my fish every time, it’s seems like the medication is quite hard on them. But of course stressed out fish is better than those devil worms coming back.

bizaliz3
I just don’t want to stress out my fish every time, it’s seems like the medication is quite hard on them. But of course stressed out fish is better than those devil worms coming back.

I can't say that I can relate there though. The medicating did not seem to be hard on my fish. In fact, I had an angelfish pair whose babies just started free swimming when I discovered the worm situation, they hadn't even eaten their first meal yet, and they survived the 24 hour black out with the meds. Along with my snails and inverts. I got the impression through that experience, that this drug is actually really gentle on them.

It makes me wonder if your fish are having 2ndary issues in addition to the worms....issues that very well could have arisen from being weakened by the worms.

Baba
We’re your stressed fish reacting the same way and how many treatments did you do? I’m scared that I didn’t some how eradicate them fully and they’ll come back to haunt me in a few months. I need some assurance lol. Most of my fish seem to be acting okay now, the angelfish are eating, but less. Sort of like they had an appetite suppressor.

I did two treatments and was done with it. I didn’t experienced any stress on the fish. Even the pretty bad infested GBR made it. He looked weak but not stressed.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Tilderjones
Replies
Views
vandzung2510
Replies
Views
Z1001989
Replies
Views