Letting Go Of My Guppy Strain

CleaHelena

Active Member
Member
Messages
151
Reaction score
115
Experience
More than 10 years
Well peeps. An aging aquarist here. Out of stuff and giggles I started to create a guppy strain from feeder guppies. Initially I went for hardiness. Not size or color. I have created a small strain on the lines of a Micariff. This summer I decided to bring up the golds. What is one more recessive gene gonna hurt?

Well, I really don’t feel like working on them anymore. My belief is that these are special little guppies. LFS has sold them out of a special tank. They went fast. My problem is that I have been unable to find enough interest for the effort I have provided. What to do? Don’t want the strain to fade away.

Pic related is from last year. Same strain, but now have added another recessive gene.
 

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,560
Reaction score
1,371
Location
Dayton, OH
Experience
More than 10 years
Its hard if you don't want to let the work you put in go away but unless you happen to find another enthusiast to pass the torch to the strain my just get jumbled in with all the other guppies. Do you know anyone you could give some of the breeders to that would be willing to continue your work?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
CleaHelena

CleaHelena

Active Member
Member
Messages
151
Reaction score
115
Experience
More than 10 years
e_watson09 said:
Its hard if you don't want to let the work you put in go away but unless you happen to find another enthusiast to pass the torch to the strain my just get jumbled in with all the other guppies. Do you know anyone you could give some of the breeders to that would be willing to continue your work?
Maybe someone here will jump in. The Endlers took the market by storm. Mine are smaller. The Panda is a little seller too. These fish are great for nano tanks; I never used a heater on them. My husbandry was intentionally not the best.

The good news, I guess, is that I did it. The gups breed true now. I love my blondes as well. Had one large female survive a freeze over in a patio pond. I did good.
 

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,560
Reaction score
1,371
Location
Dayton, OH
Experience
More than 10 years
Where are you located? We have been considering a guppy breeding set up, my son loves guppies so I bought a bunch of crazy expensive ones off aquabid and they didn't handle the shipping well, which is weird for guppies in my experience. Depending on how close you are I'd be willing to take it on. My son is 5 so I really take care of the tanks but I wanted to do the guppies for him to learn as he is all about the fish and he helps me with my other breeding projects (bettas)
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
CleaHelena

CleaHelena

Active Member
Member
Messages
151
Reaction score
115
Experience
More than 10 years
e_watson09 said:
Where are you located? We have been considering a guppy breeding set up, my son loves guppies so I bought a bunch of crazy expensive ones off aquabid and they didn't handle the shipping well, which is weird for guppies in my experience. Depending on how close you are I'd be willing to take it on. My son is 5 so I really take care of the tanks but I wanted to do the guppies for him to learn as he is all about the fish and he helps me with my other breeding projects (bettas)
Middle Tennessee. I’ll drive to meet you, but am not going to ship without running a test first.

Last year gups freshly scooped from a patio pond. Focused on the blondes this year.
 

Attachments

MomeWrath

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,689
Reaction score
2,764
Location
North Carolina
Experience
More than 10 years
They're beautiful. I hate to hear this... Have you just lost the joy? Can you just scale back to "keeping them alive" for a year or so and see if your interest renews?
I've never bred fish, but I kept a reef tank for years...suddenly decided to tear it down because I was tired of the work...and now I look back at the photos and almost cry but can't justify the expense of starting up again. I remember you talking to me about my pond earlier this year, and you sounded so excited about your guppy strain. I hate to hear you give up!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7
OP
CleaHelena

CleaHelena

Active Member
Member
Messages
151
Reaction score
115
Experience
More than 10 years
Magicpenny75 said:
They're beautiful. I hate to hear this... Have you just lost the joy? Can you just scale back to "keeping them alive" for a year or so and see if your interest renews?
I've never bred fish, but I kept a reef tank for years...suddenly decided to tear it down because I was tired of the work...and now I look back at the photos and almost cry but can't justify the expense of starting up again. I remember you talking to me about my pond earlier this year, and you sounded so excited about your guppy strain. I hate to hear you give up!
Hey you! I switches to frogs in my 100 gallon tank. I’ve had fish for at least 35 years total. I love them, don’t get me wrong. Know how to keep tanks with minimal effort too. There is a lot of attention needed to create a strain. I did it. I suck at marketing I guess. Endlers become the hot new item, and yet my similar fish get little attention.

I will bring them inside after this ‘tub’ season and put some into a ten gallon. May pull my 2.5 gallon w/ greenwater trick too. I’ll hang on to some. It’s a good strain. Your comets need one :)
 

MomeWrath

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,689
Reaction score
2,764
Location
North Carolina
Experience
More than 10 years
They're so cute! I think my now 3"+ comets would make short work of them. I've had frogs spawning all summer but no tadpoles!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #10
OP
CleaHelena

CleaHelena

Active Member
Member
Messages
151
Reaction score
115
Experience
More than 10 years
Magicpenny75 said:
They're so cute! I think my now 3"+ comets would make short work of them. I've had frogs spawning all summer but no tadpoles!
Lol on your alpha comets! Sorry you lost one. If I am not mistaken, you have had green tree frogs breeding in your pond. Mine are Copes tree frogs. My patio is riddled with them. A couple have become really tame. My big female gups usually eat the baby tads. But not all of them! I’ll raise a few up and let them go. Letting some go at this moment. Although they are still chilling in the vivarium. World is theirs once they climb out. Pic is related.

My guppy strain is alright. I could lie and call them endlers, then people would be all over them. My females this year look really good. Maybe I will post pics in your patio pond thread.
 

Attachments

MomeWrath

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,689
Reaction score
2,764
Location
North Carolina
Experience
More than 10 years
CleaHelena said:
Ha, one has reached the roof!
those are adorable don't know if I've seen one here, but it looks like they are pretty well camouflaged...not sure I would see one that didn't want to be seen. Our green tree frogs stick out like a sore thumb unless they are in a tree. We had a big storm last night and as soon as it quit raining it was RRRRRRRR RRRRRRR RRRRRRRRRRRRR on the back porch again. I'm sure there will be eggs in the pond again today.
I do wish I could relieve you of some of those guppies. I bet they'd do great in my pond but I'm afraid they'd be lunch.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #13
OP
CleaHelena

CleaHelena

Active Member
Member
Messages
151
Reaction score
115
Experience
More than 10 years
Magicpenny75 said:
those are adorable don't know if I've seen one here, but it looks like they are pretty well camouflaged...not sure I would see one that didn't want to be seen. Our green tree frogs stick out like a sore thumb unless they are in a tree. We had a big storm last night and as soon as it quit raining it was RRRRRRRR RRRRRRR RRRRRRRRRRRRR on the back porch again. I'm sure there will be eggs in the pond again today.
I do wish I could relieve you of some of those guppies. I bet they'd do great in my pond but I'm afraid they'd be lunch.
Copes tree frogs change color and patterns to fit their environment. Here’s some babies. Your comets must love having those tadpole eggs!

I may end up taking the gups to the lfs. Depending on who is working they’ll either be sold for about 5 bucks a piece or tossed in with the feeders. I’ll keep a couple trios (just in case).
 

Attachments

MomeWrath

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,689
Reaction score
2,764
Location
North Carolina
Experience
More than 10 years
CleaHelena said:
Copes tree frogs change color and patterns to fit their environment. Here’s some babies. Your comets must love having those tadpole eggs!

I may end up taking the gups to the lfs. Depending on who is working they’ll either be sold for about 5 bucks a piece or tossed in with the feeders. I’ll keep a couple trios (just in case).
but their little faces! :shame::shame::shame::shame::shame::shame: I love them!! I love froggies with their faces and their big eyes.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
245
Guests online
3,431
Total visitors
3,676

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom