Let’s Talk Substrates

AquaCaitlin

No, this isn’t the “sand or gravel” convo

I was curious what were people’s preferred colors of substrate?

I, personally, cannot stand colored aquarium gravel/sand (like blue, rainbow, red, green, pink,) but I know other people prefer it over natural colors.

I currently use a natural colored gravel as pictured below, but I’ve been wanting to get some Fluval Stratum as well.
I like this gravel because it gives the whole aquarium a softer kind of vibe, and the hues of browns and whites are calming to me and contrast well with the plants.
The poo isn’t as visible on it either.
I also enjoy that it really gives off riverbed or stream vibes, especially when you look down on it.

E6143D38-6B86-4207-9F75-454335FED465.jpeg

So what are your favorite colors in substrate- and why?

Desi

I'd agree with you I much prefer the natural color, but I do have black in my shrimp tank to make there colors pop.

AquaticQueen

Natural color is the best, IMO. No offense to people who have this in their tanks, but I hate colored gravel.

!poogs!

Black : I like the way it contrasts against green or red plants, and fish.

Red/Back mix: Makes the red belly on a fish like firemouth for example pop and the black offers contrast to everything else including the red substrate.

I have a fun tank in light blue mixed with different hues of pink and green in a bow front. I hate it, but surprisingly all my visitors love it. Did I mention I can't stand it.

AquaCaitlin

Black : I like the way it contrasts against green or red plants, and fish.

Red/Back mix: Makes the red belly on a fish like firemouth for example pop and the black offers contrast to everything else including the red substrate.

I have a fun tank in light blue mixed with different hues of pink and green in a bow front. I hate it, but surprisingly all my visitors love it. Did I mention I can't stand it.
Haha that’s how it usually goes.
always the
“Why don’t you get some of that pretty stuff? Spice it up a bit?” When people look at my aquariums. And their face’s when they see my bare bottomed tanks....
this emoji represents it well:

flyinGourami

It depends on what I'm going for. I like black sand or barebottom, sometimes I'll use colored gravel for a more "fun" or bright theme, the whole thing has to have artificial decoration though lol.

!poogs!

Haha that’s how it usually goes.
always the
“Why don’t you get some of that pretty stuff? Spice it up a bit?” When people look at my aquariums. And their face’s when they see my bare bottomed tanks....
this emoji represents it well:

Bare bottom tanks are not for me. Couldn't even do it in my fry tanks, switched them all to black sand.

Buttttt.... the nicest and cleanest fish store I have ever been in and was most impressed by, every single tank was a bare bottom tank. Even the 100 gallon+ tanks with arowana and gar wer bare bottom. The tanks were spotless.

AquaCaitlin

Bare bottom tanks are not for me. Couldn't even do it in my fry tanks, switched them all to black sand.

Buttttt.... the nicest and cleanest fish store I have ever been in and was most impressed by, every single tank was a bare bottom tank. Even the 100 gallon+ tanks with arowana and gar wer bare bottom. The tanks were spotless.
A few of mine are bare bottom purely because I’m lazy and it’s easier to vacuum up waste, but one of my tanks is bare bottom because it’s necessary. In terms of appearances, I quite prefer tanks with substrate, though.

julifhy

I think black gravel looks the best. It makes the colors of the plants and fish more visible. I can’t wait until I set up my 10 gallon with a black background and black gravel! My betta is going to look great in his new tank!
I currently have black and colored gravel in my 2.5 gallon tank lol. I got it because I have LED Strip Lights in my room and I thought it would look cool, and it definitely does lol. Especially in the blue light, which makes the gravel look like it’s glowing .
One more thing, personally think pink gravel would actually look pretty cool with the right aqua space. 5 gallon tank, pink gravel, red aquarium plants, and an opal betta.

jkkgron2

I like white sand in my understocked tanks because it reminds me of a beach but in a heavily stocked tank I’m not a huge fan due to the fish waste standing out. Otherwise I prefer the rocks/smooth gravel because it looks like a river bottom

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
FishAreCool324
Replies
Views
GlennO
Replies
Views
ProudPapa
Replies
Views