Let's Talk Substrate - Fish That Prefer Course Gravel

1. IHaveADogToo

IHaveADogToo Well Known Member Member

Many fish prefer a finer substrate, such as sand. Bottom dwellers like corydoras and kuhli loaches like to sift the sand through their gills, looking for tiny food particles, so the finer the sand, the better. Some bottom dwellers need a fine sand because a course gravel will cut and irritate their underside. Some fish even burrow, and need a fine sand to protect their skin from cuts.

But are there any fish that prefer course gravel? I know course gravel is easier for plants to root in. But what about fish? Are there any fish that would rather have rough gravel?

2. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

Some species like goldfish prefer no substrate at all because they can ingest it, but I’ve never heard of a species that prefers gravel over sand.

3. finnipper59

finnipper59 Well Known Member Member

I've watched African Cichlids moving pieces of gravel around their territories as if they were arranging furniture. They looked like they were enjoying it.

4. OP
    OP
    IHaveADogToo

IHaveADogToo Well Known Member Member

Haha! My tanganyikan shell dwellers are doing that! I've had them just over 2 weeks and they just recently started redecorating. But, they have a very fine, silty sand.

5. finnipper59

finnipper59 Well Known Member Member

That's cool. I saw the cichlids moving the gravel in the tank at my Doctor's office. I use sand in my tanks. But watching them move the gravel was cool. It was fairly small gravel at least.