Let's talk poo...

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Forums' started by puppyduks, Nov 26, 2012.

1. puppyduksNew MemberMember

What does healthy fish poo look like? What does unhealthy poo look like and what would cause it?

My Endlers have poo, sometimes tan/brown and sometimes pale to white. The browner ones are shaped like a comma, round, and are approximately 1/4-1/2 inch long. The whiter/paler poos are flatter, shaped like a parentheses (not as curved as a comma) and a bit longer than the comma poos.

I have never seen a poo hanging off any of my albino cory cats or my ghost shrimp. Maybe they don't go. :)

I feed flake food once a day and freeze dried bloodworms about 4 times a week. Once every couple weeks I will throw in some frozen brine shrimp. I do weekly water changes with good water perameters. I just dosed the tank with Jungle parasite fizz tab for any parasites after I had an unexplained fish death (adult female Endler that had given birth a week before, got listless for a week and found dead one morning).

2. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

What brand of flake food do you feed? How old was your female that died? It's common for them to die after having a bunch of large births.

3. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

White, stringy poo is indicative of either digestive troubles or gut parasites, in which case you'll want to treat with a med made to be absorbed into the fish. Prazipro and Tetra Parasite Guard are good examples of these. Pay attention to the descriptions, as some are only effective for external parasites.

Agreed, what flake food are you feeding?
    What are your water parameters?

4. OP
    OP
    p

puppyduksNew MemberMember

Water as of tonight, after a water change earlier in the day: Ammonia 0. nitrite 0, nitrate very low (test strip), pH the same, very hard water, chlorine 0, temp 72F.

I feed Nutrafin Max Color Enhancing Flake Food daily, Omega One Freeze dried Bloodworms a few times a week, and occasional snacks of frozen brine shrimp. My cory cats (in the same tank as Endlers) get an occasional treat of half an algae wafer or a few granules of Aquatic Frog & Tadpole Food. Maybe once a month on these, along with a smashed up pea whenever we have peas for dinner.

Is there a better nutrition regimen I could have? I would love constructive criticism.

5. OP
    OP
    p

puppyduksNew MemberMember

The female that died was a bit less than a year old. She has had 3 litters, maybe 4. After she died I added salt to my tank at 1 tbsp for 10g. I didn't know they needed it until it was too late. I feel bad if that is why she died. And I also gave them some anti-parasite meds.

All my remaining fish and my one ghost shrimp are doing great (knock on wood).

6. oscarsbud

oscarsbudWell Known MemberMember

I don't think the lack of salt had anything to do with her death. Most freshwater fish don't like salt in the tank, cories in particular. I'm sure someone will be along with the reasons. I just know it is an irritant to some of the scaleless fish.

7. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

Why is the temp so low? That's really cold for Endlers. They originate from Venezuela and prefer warmer water. I'd do 78 at least.

Endlers do not need salt. I've been breeding Endlers for some time now, producing hundreds of them. They do perfectly fine without salt.

Catfish don't like salt in their water, like stated above it irritates them.

8. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

They don't require salt.

The fact that they use ethoxyquin (known to be cancer-causing in mammals and a known fish toxin) and corn meal (hard to digest) worries me a little. I give my fish New Life Spectrum brand food and they're thriving on it. Other than that it looks OK to me. They may do well with a touch more veggie matter in their diet, but I must admit I know little about guppy nutrition specifically.

I can tell you to ditch the strips, though, in favor of a liquid kit. Strips are highly untrustworthy and may fail to inform you of deadly levels. It's happened.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice