Let’s Talk Photography! - Page 7

MomeWrath

Pescado_Verde said:
I love the fountain bowl and the brick hole in this set. Nice job getting that moving water to hold still

86 ssinit

Did look at the exercise link but really didn’t understand a lot. What negative space? But still taken pictures. I got the Nikon 70-300 lens and went back to the eagle and it’s ckicks and got these shots.
then tried my luck with the micro lens

Raideress

Hi all i also love photography, far from great though i use a Lumix FZ2500, its a nice camera, but its not an DSLR, but its a nice bridge camera, we try to travel when we can, well when we arent in Isolation, so i didnt want to have too much to take, already have 5 kids and 2 of them are too little to wheel their luggage, and i like to take my drone if i can too, So a bridge camera has been my choice, never used a DSLR, but often think would that give me the extra POW, if i was better id prob try get the money, but travel + 5 kids is $$$$$

Raideress

My favourite photos that I have taken seem to be from my favourite places Aitutaki in the Cook Islands and Walt Disney World

Raideress

Evaldiv6 said:
Glad to know I’m not the only fish and photography enthusiast! Here are a few of my photos!
the
Evaldiv6 said:
Glad to know I’m not the only fish and photography enthusiast! Here are a few of my photos!
that first photo wow the colours are beautiful sigh love that

86 ssinit

Hey what type of drone do you have? I have the mavic air.

Pescado_Verde

Raideress said:
My favourite photos that I have taken seem to be from my favourite places Aitutaki in the Cook Islands and Walt Disney World
Ha! Those two locations are a bit on opposite ends of the spectrum in appeal to me at least.

Raideress

Pescado_Verde said:
Ha! Those two locations are a bit on opposite ends of the spectrum in appeal to me at least.
lol yes they are very different, Aitutaki is sheer perfection, isolated barely anyone around and pristine, no dangerous animals warm all year even the water, crystal blue waters up to about 10 metres deep, WDW is crazy, loud, crowded and busy, but with kids its priceless memories like chip abducting our 4 year old twin girls and when we caught up he had them playing ring a round the rosy with him and dale, or seeing them dance to the twist with just them and minnie mouse, our 18 month old almost falling asleep on mickeys lap cuddling hm, i like crazy and serene

might explain why i want my big tank natural looking with white sand and my small otank glowy and crazy and i want a disney theme

86 ssinit said:
Hey what type of drone do you have? I have the mavic air.
well techncally i have a DJI Spark, but its out of commission as i drowned it in Aitutaki, we were about 4kms from the airport which has about 4 flights in 24 hours and i watch to fly over the little lagoon at about 15 feet, so i flew it using no phone, just the controller, all went well for about 30 seconds and im guessing a signal interferance from the airport kicked in and it went nuts, wouldnt react and slowly decended into about 1/2 a foot of water despite me pushing up up up up and return home, nothing, so im still working out what to go for next, i want small and compact for travelling

86 ssinit

Mine is also a DJI. It’s the mavic air. It’s a little bigger than the spark but has a better camera and flies further. It fits into a camera case and is pretty light.

mrjohn

Shun me if you must! I've been interested in photography since my late teens, early 20s. Back then Nikon was the thing and I am 34. We used to go into a dark room in the college lab to develop the photos. My question is this. What is sufficient for raw material? I prefer non digital. Even when I was a young kid I was in love with those Polaroid "instant" photos. It just seemed to capture everything perfectly. No re-takes to get that perfection. Just in the moment reactions.

Raideress

mrjohn said:
Shun me if you must! I've been interested in photography since my late teens, early 20s. Back then Nikon was the thing and I am 34. We used to go into a dark room in the college lab to develop the photos. My question is this. What is sufficient for raw material? I prefer non digital. Even when I was a young kid I was in love with those Polaroid "instant" photos. It just seemed to capture everything perfectly. No re-takes to get that perfection. Just in the moment reactions.
i dont know id waste too much money if i couldnt look and adjust lol

mrjohn said:
i also tend to take heaps of shots as i find what i like at the time varies from what i like in a few months

Raideress

86 ssinit said:
Mine is also a DJI. It’s the mavic air. It’s a little bigger than the spark but has a better camera and flies further. It fits into a camera case and is pretty light.
yeah i have been going over my options for my next drone, im holding off til i go somewhere i want to use it, after losing Buzz Sparkyear to water, im not wanting to spend big bucks i retrieved it, but it didnt live and DJI is very fussy with what they will fix

Raideress

another shot i like , not a hard shot to get though if you have some zoom

Raideress

another shot of Aiutaki, i always have a tear in my eye when the plane takes off, as you can see not many people and so gorgeous, when my husband sees me post stuff like this, he tells me stop telling people lol

Raideress

Raideress

Raideress

Raideress

Giant trevally

86 ssinit

No worries that’s got to be a 16hr flight. Beautiful but I’ll pass and get off at Aruba .

Raideress

86 ssinit said:
No worries that’s got to be a 16hr flight. Beautiful but I’ll pass and get off at Aruba .
LOL yeah probably is, its only 6 hours from us, its a volcano that collapsed and has a main island and many Atolls all of that is surrounded by a small coral reef, on the ocean side of the coral is a 5 mile drop of ocean, on the inside it goes to about 10 metres deep, they dont get sharks, or anything dangerous in the water or on land, except stone fish, which we hve in australia anyway and in our 3 trips ive never seen one, there are many islands in The cooks, but Aitutaki is the best, and the people are amazing, 3 times someone has bought a packet of choc biscuits and told the shop keeper give them to the lady with the kids and left, we saw them go in the bag and said i didnt buy those, and they explained the person who left bought them for your kids, they used to make people show proof of accomodation before arrival as the locals would see tourists and take them to stay at their house for free and often feed them etc, the only fault is island time, everything happens when it happens lol, i really love this place

Raideress

86 ssinit said:
never been to Aruba, been to The Bahamas though once, on a disney cruise, was good but my daughter was stung by sea lice (tiny jellyfish) so she wasnt going in the water again, kind of spoiled our time as they were 4 and we had to stay with them

86 ssinit

Pescado_Verde

Was taking pictures of the clubhouse at the park and went to take a picture of the interior. Didn't have the camera squared up against the glass so I got some interior and also caught what was being reflected in the window pane, the sky and trees behind me. Thought it made for an interesting shot even if not intentional.

Raideress

another love of mine, my twin girls

86 ssinit

My wife took this next one. Focusing on the new buds on a tree. I just think it looks cool with everything out of focus behind the buds.

Pescado_Verde

A few shots from the trip to the park.

86 ssinit

So new camera old lens .

86 ssinit

86 ssinit

Oh yeah!! Much better! The Video is great. Only problem now is my Mac crashed . The 70-300 lens is much faster. Lot of fun! Thank for the input .

Pescado_Verde

86 ssinit said:
Oh yeah!! Much better! The Video is great. Only problem now is my Mac crashed . The 70-300 lens is much faster. Lot of fun! Thank for the input .
Glad to hear that you do like it. I thought a new body might help with what you perceived as the performance of the lens.

You got me to thinking about macro and now even though I've said I do NOT need another lens, especially one that is pretty much already in my bag, I went out with my 85mm to convince myself. Really the only thing the lenses I have lack, and of course what makes a macro unique, is the close focus distance. (I'm talking to myself here by the way, lol). So anyway I remembered seeing this dandelion bloom earlier today and thought "Hey, I'll go shoot THAT!". So I did.

The 85 has a wide open aperture of f1.8 so I can get a really shallow depth of field and it was nice and mostly sunny out so I could shoot at minimum ISO of 100. My theory is that I can crop the heck out of whatever and it will still look pretty good.

So, here's my dandelion. One full frame shot to show what I started with and two cropped shots, one from the full frame and the other looking straight down on the flower. I know a true macro could do a better job but I think that for those rare occasions when I want to do something similar I can get reasonably close.

Pescado_Verde

Just for giggles I went back out and shot the flower again with my 80-200, f2.8, wide open. Was a bit surprised that in just 15 or so minutes the little guy was already closing up shop for the day. Petals were all folded in! The old lens just doesn't get as sharp a focus generally as the 85 does and that's what happened here. If I could see to focus manually I would but nope, I have to depend on whatever the camera gives me. But just as an experiment it turned out passable. The 85 has a close focus distance of a little under 3' and the 80-200 is about 5 feet or a little over. I guess doing the math the 80-200 gets me a hair closer/more magnification. Anyway, Thursday camera fun!

Pescado_Verde

So it's supposed to rain most of tomorrow and I'm thinking about setting up to maybe take some rain pictures. Lemons/lemonade type of deal. I'm thinking of involving a speedlight in this somehow. Maybe stop the camera down a bit, put the flash inside a car with my mannequin head behind the wheel? I don't know, never tried anything like that.

Thoughts on using a flash to capture rain?

86 ssinit

Out fishing the other night.

Pescado_Verde

Catching fish is secondary to just being outdoors imho.

Neighbor has this old-ish motorcycle, 1987 Kawasaki ZL600 (I think). I spent a few minutes looking it over in the parking lot yesterday and am getting some inspiration for a photo shoot. I'll be sure to report back if that comes together. I took these with my 85mm f1.8 prime lens. The more I play with this lens the more I absolutely love it. Fantastic in low light and is by far the sharpest lens I have and gives the most "professional" looking images. Anyway, these are more snapshots than photographs but this thread needed a bump.

toeknee

Here's a photo dump from around Colorado and Utah I took over the past few weeks. Been watching tons of videos on Lightroom editing and trying to imrpove my editing skills. Even though you can understand the majority of the program it takes a lot of time and practive to be able to combine all the tools to create the look you're after. I have a long, long ways to go before I would consider myself any good at editing. Also it seems the fishlore forum decreases image quality quite a bit. The original files look much sharper.

MomeWrath

toeknee said:
Here's a photo dump from around Colorado and Utah I took over the past few weeks. Been watching tons of videos on Lightroom editing and trying to imrpove my editing skills. Even though you can understand the majority of the program it takes a lot of time and practive to be able to combine all the tools to create the look you're after. I have a long, long ways to go before I would consider myself any good at editing. Also it seems the fishlore forum decreases image quality quite a bit. The original files look much sharper.
Can you tell me more about the black and white one? I'm impressed by the lighting and the imagery, but confused on scale and what I am actually looking at...like, it's a really cool abstract piece
Also I love the one with the rain in the clouds. Beautiful, all, though.

Pescado_Verde

Yeah, the compression on this site just murders picture quality. Not really complaining because it takes up space to host images and space isn't free. Just a fact. We LOVE Mike!!

toeknee

Magicpenny75 said:
Can you tell me more about the black and white one? I'm impressed by the lighting and the imagery, but confused on scale and what I am actually looking at...like, it's a really cool abstract piece
Also I love the one with the rain in the clouds. Beautiful, all, though.
Thanks! In that photo the remaining ice spike is about 60 feet tall which is formed by the 140 foot East Vail falls. Or do a quick google search of "The Fang East Vail" ....the waterfall freezes in the winter and forms a 140 foot tall ice pillar called The Fang that's actually world famous in the climbing universe. People come from all over to ice climb it in the winter. That spike is what remained of the melting pillar as of a 2 weeks ago. Here's a little video I made giving a little better perspective of the area.

toeknee

Pescado_Verde said:
Yeah, the compression on this site just murders picture quality. Not really complaining because it takes up space to host images and space isn't free. Just a fact. We LOVE Mike!!
Yeah video and picture compression are my worst enemy. You spend so much money on camera and video equipment to make tip top images. Only to have images and video degraded by pretty much every online site you try to share it on including facebook and instagram. I understand why sites need to compress and all that, still bothers me.

Pescado_Verde

toeknee said:
Thanks! In that photo the remaining ice spike is about 60 feet tall which is formed by the 140 foot East Vail falls. Or do a quick google search of "The Fang East Vail" ....the waterfall freezes in the winter and forms a 140 foot tall ice pillar called The Fang that's actually world famous in the climbing universe. People come from all over to ice climb it in the winter. That spike is what remained of the melting pillar as of a 2 weeks ago. Here's a little video I made giving a little better perspective of the area.
That's sweet. What are you using for the soundtrack?

86 ssinit

Went to the beach
even the cars are socially distancing

julifhy

I’ve been following this thread for a while, but I haven’t posted anything yet. These are some of my favorite pictures I took :

Stalowa Wola, Poland:

Venice, Italy:

San Francisco:

San Francisco:

A picture of the moon I’ve managed to take with my iPhone:

I take all my pictures and edit with my iPhone 6s, so sorry if the quality might not be the best hilarious

Pescado_Verde

Nice! I particularly like the shots of Venice and the Bay and bridge.

Things are beginning to open back up around here and there's a horse shows this weekend (everything that was on the schedule between middle of March and now was canceled). I find horse culture interesting and the variety of people it attracts is part of that. From scruffy barrel racing cowgirls to the sequin bedazzled breed show attendants, there's just a lot of good photo ops at those events. And they don't mind paying a little money for pictures of theyselves and they horses, lol. Still trying to figure out a way to get into THAT game!

I, perhaps foolishly, have acquired a good bit of off camera flash gear over the last 6 months and need to get back to working with that stuff. The COVID lockdown had me shooting a LOT of birds because that's what was available. Now maybe I can get back on track in the direction I was going before all this started.

Stay safe, happy clicking!

julifhy

Pescado_Verde said:
Nice! I particularly like the shots of Venice and the Bay and bridge.

Things are beginning to open back up around here and there's a horse shows this weekend (everything that was on the schedule between middle of March and now was canceled). I find horse culture interesting and the variety of people it attracts is part of that. From scruffy barrel racing cowgirls to the sequin bedazzled breed show attendants, there's just a lot of good photo ops at those events. And they don't mind paying a little money for pictures of theyselves and they horses, lol. Still trying to figure out a way to get into THAT game!

I, perhaps foolishly, have acquired a good bit of off camera flash gear over the last 6 months and need to get back to working with that stuff. The COVID lockdown had me shooting a LOT of birds because that's what was available. Now maybe I can get back on track in the direction I was going before all this started.

Stay safe, happy clicking!
I hope you'll get some great shots from the horse show! Hopefully things start to open back up here too. They were supposed to but it was postponed again
I'm going to try to start taking more pictures with my camera, instead of my phone lol. I have a Canon camera I don't use much because I haven't figured out how to upload the pictures
I wish I was able to travel more this summer. We were planning on going to Japan this year. I could of gotten some great pictures there.

Pescado_Verde

julifhy said:
I hope you'll get some great shots from the horse show! Hopefully things start to open back up here too. They were supposed to but it was postponed again
I'm going to try to start taking more pictures with my camera, instead of my phone lol. I have a Canon camera I don't use much because I haven't figured out how to upload the pictures
I wish I was able to travel more this summer. We were planning on going to Japan this year. I could of gotten some great pictures there.
My camera uses a SD card, I pop it into the card reader on the computer and copy the files into a folder there, I use my desktop though, I'm not a phone person. I then use a little program called IrfanView32, it's a very old photo editing freeware, to reduce the file size. I just save them over the top of the ones I'm working on. I would not do that unless I was storing the originals somewhere else which I am. Anyway, that's how I get mine ready to upload. If I did use a phone, which I sometimes do for texting pictures to family/friends then I'll email them out of my computer to the email account I use on my phone (have 2 accounts). Hope that helps! Phone cams are alright for somethings and really good at some too but to really get serious you need to be using a camera. DSLR is on the way out and mirrorless is the next thing but DSLR was around so long that the lenses are everywhere and it's what I plan to stick with.

julifhy

Pescado_Verde said:
My camera uses a SD card, I pop it into the card reader on the computer and copy the files into a folder there, I use my desktop though, I'm not a phone person. I then use a little program called IrfanView32, it's a very old photo editing freeware, to reduce the file size. I just save them over the top of the ones I'm working on. I would not do that unless I was storing the originals somewhere else which I am. Anyway, that's how I get mine ready to upload. If I did use a phone, which I sometimes do for texting pictures to family/friends then I'll email them out of my computer to the email account I use on my phone (have 2 accounts). Hope that helps! Phone cams are alright for somethings and really good at some too but to really get serious you need to be using a camera. DSLR is on the way out and mirrorless is the next thing but DSLR was around so long that the lenses are everywhere and it's what I plan to stick with.
Ty! This does help! I don't know how, but somehow I missed that my camera has a SD card. I was having trouble uploading pictures because I thought the only way to upload them was threw an app, but that never worked. I'll upload them right now and hopefully I'll have some pictures to share!
Edit: I've posted the pictures from my camera on the Wild-Life Photos thread

Raideress

some photos from my new fish i liked

julifhy

Raideress said:
some photos from my new fish i liked
I love these pictures so much! They’re so colorful and dreamy! Now I wish I had saltwater fish lol

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom