Let’s Talk Photography! - Page 6

Addictedtobettas

Canaculus said:
One bucket list item for me is to see the Aurora Borealis. I feel like that would be beautiful beyond compare.
Yes! That would be incredible. There’s a spot in WA state where folks occ. glimpse it. Don’t have to travel too far I suppose.

Mongo75

Pescado_Verde said:
Maybe someday I'll get around to trying long exposures. Using ND filters intrigues me, especially when you see the photos where the water has been made glass smooth. Cool stuff.

ETA: After I got home from our trip to the park today I started messing with the flash again. I just get a kick out of how moving the light even just a little bit can affect the mood of a photo so much. I call this evenings experiments "The Many Moods of Monica".

Great examples of how lighting and shadow can change the mood. I'm guessing these were done with an external or hot shoe flash, not the built in. I've never had a need for anything other than the built-in flash. My main use is outdoor nature photography and there's not much an amateur can do with external lighting, other than taking advantage of existing light and shadow conditions.

Pescado_Verde

Mongo75 said:
Great examples of how lighting and shadow can change the mood. I'm guessing these were done with an external or hot shoe flash, not the built in. I've never had a need for anything other than the built-in flash. My main use is outdoor nature photography and there's not much an amateur can do with external lighting, other than taking advantage of existing light and shadow conditions.
Yes, done with off camera flash. I bought a couple of Lumo Pro LP180's, used of course, for around $75 each and a couple of light duty light stands. The flash units are just generic, manual hotshoe type flashes. A shoot thru umbrella, a reflector etc... sort of built an amateur's home studio. And now I'm learning how to use it all. Best thing about the off camera flash is once you learn it you can take it outdoors too and no longer be at the mercy of the sun, clouds or really even the time of day. You get to create and control the light. At least for portraits it's a godsend. On camera fill flash is okay but typically isn't very flattering and usually ends up looking like, well, a picture taken with a flash.

Here's 3 photos I took this morning using the light coming thru the window and an off camera flash. First pic is just the light coming thru the window, the ambient light. Second pic is the exact same exposure and settings but with some off camera flash added and the third pic is just the second one with a little help from post processing - boosted the exposure a hair mostly.

I could have just as easily done this outdoors, on location. The little light stand weighs maybe 5 lbs? Flash weighs another pound or so and it's battery powered so completely portable. Getting the balance right between the ambient and the flash is tricky so that it DOESN'T look like flash but I'll get there.

Mongo75

Pescado_Verde said:
Yes, done with off camera flash. I bought a couple of Lumo Pro LP180's, used of course, for around $75 each and a couple of light duty light stands. The flash units are just generic, manual hotshoe type flashes. A shoot thru umbrella, a reflector etc... sort of built an amateur's home studio. And now I'm learning how to use it all. Best thing about the off camera flash is once you learn it you can take it outdoors too and no longer be at the mercy of the sun, clouds or really even the time of day. You get to create and control the light. At least for portraits it's a godsend. On camera fill flash is okay but typically isn't very flattering and usually ends up looking like, well, a picture taken with a flash.

Here's 3 photos I took this morning using the light coming thru the window and an off camera flash. First pic is just the light coming thru the window, the ambient light. Second pic is the exact same exposure and settings but with some off camera flash added and the third pic is just the second one with a little help from post processing - boosted the exposure a hair mostly.

I could have just as easily done this outdoors, on location. The little light stand weighs maybe 5 lbs? Flash weighs another pound or so and it's battery powered so completely portable. Getting the balance right between the ambient and the flash is tricky so that it DOESN'T look like flash but I'll get there.
That's the really nice thing about digital cameras. No expense of wasted film. You can play around as much as you like and throw away the ones you don't want

Pescado_Verde

Mongo75 said:
That's the really nice thing about digital cameras. No expense of wasted film. You can play around as much as you like and throw away the ones you don't want
Absolutely! I've covered more ground in a year than I would have in 10 years shooting rolls of film. I missed film when I first got back into this but now? Not so much.

I'm done messing with this for the weekend, this was my last shot of the day. I call it "Monica Yearned".

Cheesecake

Addictedtobettas said:
Yes! That would be incredible. There’s a spot in WA state where folks occ. glimpse it. Don’t have to travel too far I suppose.
Oof. That's about as far from home as I can get in the U.S. without going to Alaska or Hawaii.

Pescado_Verde

First attempt at using flash outdoors. Nothing to brag about, LOL. Just a properly exposed shot and then closed down the aperture, added the head and a flash unit. More of a proof of concept deal.

SaltyPhone

One day I will get the hang of inserting quotes. I don’t get on the forum regularly so it’s always fun to read through threads. Pescado_Verde It’s been fun to watch how much you’ve progressed and contributed to this thread. It’s greatly appreciated! I until recently haven’t had a lot of time to hone my skills at photography or fishkeeping lately. However now I have a week or two or three; I intend to throw more time into said. Here is one of the more recent pics I’m happy with.

Pebbels

SaltyPhone said:
One day I will get the hang of inserting quotes. I don’t get on the forum regularly so it’s always fun to read through threads. Pescado_Verde It’s been fun to watch how much you’ve progressed and contributed to this thread. It’s greatly appreciated! I until recently haven’t had a lot of time to hone my skills at photography or fishkeeping lately. However now I have a week or two or three; I intend to throw more time into said. Here is one of the more recent pics I’m happy with.
Poor kitty

SaltyPhone

Pitiful kitty indeed

Pebbels

Pescado_Verde

I built a sort of boom arm so that I can put my light directly on axis. It works aight I guess. It's not going to be big enough for full body shots but for a head shot it'll work.

Pescado_Verde

I went down to the river to check out the sculpture "zoo" that was installed recently and officially opened a few weeks back. It was terrible overcast today so pictures are all a bit drab.

SaltyPhone

While enjoying an adult beverage on the porch yesterday;I managed to catch these guys goofing off. These are the heavily cropped versions

Pescado_Verde

SaltyPhone what part of NC are you in?

Pescado_Verde

I was not happy with my pictures from my trip to the river so I did a little digging into what I had done wrong - I'd overexposed the heck out of all the pictures is the problem. So I decided to try something a bit different for me - expose to the right. In theory and since I shoot in RAW I should be able to recover the shadow detail, albeit with some noise, if I expose for the highlight(s) in the shot.

So to try this out I went outside just now and pointed the camera at the sky and exposed for that and this is what I got

I then recomposed the shot but left the settings alone. The sky in the above photo is properly exposed. It's a homogeneous mess but if there were any detail to be seen there, clouds, whatever, it would be looking good. And then I brought it in for some editing. I pulled the shadow details out, dropped the contrast a bit, made a few other little adjustments and this is what I got. Now I did boost the overall brightness a bit so that explains why the sky is a bit lighter but for the most part the two are very much the same. The only real difference is in one the details are hidden.

All of that detail information was in the RAW file and hidden within the image, it just needed to be pulled out. Just a little something I need to remember next time I go shoot.

Sorry if this was boring to anyone, I just needed to prove it to myself and thought I'd share that experiment.

Hopefully I'll get another try at the river on Wednesday and the weather is supposed to be fabulous.

Happy shooting!

Pescado_Verde

More on ETTR (exposing to the right)... Not much time to mess with the camera today but I did manage to go out right at dusk to make another test shot. We had some broken clouds which really makes it more apparent. First image shows how I exposed for the little open area in the clouds that I have circled. Second image is just the first one with the shadow detail pulled out. I probably could have done a better job of isolating the buildings from the sky but if you toggle back and forth between the two images you'll see that the area that is circled, the open spot in the clouds, stays the same brightness. With some time and a little more skill the other clouds could be returned to their original darker shade. Shadow recovery alone doesn't discriminate so dark clouds get treated as shadows. Anyway, just something to consider if you're trying to decide how to expose a shot that has both brights and shadows. Expose to the right and recover the shadow details in post processing.

Pescado_Verde

2nd attempt at editing that photo. This time I used Photoshop Elements. Opened the file in Camera Raw and bumped the exposure wayyyy up. Then opened it in Elements and created a brightness/contrast layer. Pulled the brightness way back down to darken the clouds to their original levels and used the brush to "paint" a mask over the foreground so it remained bright. Better?

MomeWrath

Pescado_Verde said:
2nd attempt at editing that photo. This time I used Photoshop Elements. Opened the file in Camera Raw and bumped the exposure wayyyy up. Then opened it in Elements and created a brightness/contrast layer. Pulled the brightness way back down to darken the clouds to their original levels and used the brush to "paint" a mask over the foreground so it remained bright. Better?

Looking with an artist's eye rather than a photographer's skill-set... I prefer the second edit to this one. The brightness and noise in the darker parts of the buildings almost gives them a superimposed look vs. the very natural looking sky. I think maybe sending it a little back the other way towards the second photo might be just right.
I haven't taken any photos lately because everything here is pollen.

Pescado_Verde

Magicpenny75 said:
Looking with an artist's eye rather than a photographer's skill-set... I prefer the second edit to this one. The brightness and noise in the darker parts of the buildings almost gives them a superimposed look vs. the very natural looking sky. I think maybe sending it a little back the other way towards the second photo might be just right.
I haven't taken any photos lately because everything here is pollen.
Ha! I remember those days with yellow cars. Spring has sprung in Carolina when the pine trees go crazy.

SaltyPhone

Thought y’all might enjoy this.
. Pescado_Verde I live bout an hour east of Asheville and hour west of Statesville.

Pescado_Verde

I made it back down to the river yesterday to explore the sculpture zoo a bit more. I'm still working my way thru what I shot so don't have anything ready for posting just yet. I did run across a homeless guy who was sitting at the Vietnam War memorial eating an orange so I used him as an opportunity to play street photographer. Soon!

Pescado_Verde

Homeless guy contemplating his navel (orange).

Pescado_Verde

Overkill with the bronzer I think.

MomeWrath

My yard is overrun with chickweed, henbit, cleavers...and violets. Last year I had wild pansies as well, but they either aren't in bloom yet or they didn't come back this year. I absolutely adore wildflowers...and I love taking pictures of flowers and all kinds of tiny things that you can zoom in afterward and see how spectacular they are up close.

Pescado_Verde

Magicpenny75 said:
My yard is overrun with chickweed, henbit, cleavers...and violets. Last year I had wild pansies as well, but they either aren't in bloom yet or they didn't come back this year. I absolutely adore wildflowers...and I love taking pictures of flowers and all kinds of tiny things that you can zoom in afterward and see how spectacular they are up close.
One of the things I enjoyed about living in NC was the day lilies on the side of the road. I grew up doing yard work for a woman who bred/raised day lilies for shows and have always like them. We have some wild irises around here but more can be found in East Texas.

Pescado_Verde

Rainy Saturday morning and waiting for the front to pass thru so I'm cleaning my lenses. I'm pretty bad about not doing that regularly. Hoping to get out in a bit and shoot whatever I can find. I still haven't finished organizing and editing what I shot on Wednesday, lol. Promise I'll have something to add to this thread today or tomorrow!

Happy shooting!

Pescado_Verde

Magicpenny75 said:
Years ago our congressman had a small plot in the park dedicated to his mother, as a wildflower preserve. "Miss Nellie's Pretty Place".

Saw these two dudes getting they ride on.

And this guy underneath an overpass trying his luck at the fishing.

This is the park's clubhouse, frequently rented for dress-up events.

Pescado_Verde

Park peeps and sights.

Pescado_Verde

Trillion bird on the planet and I get Travis Bickle in MY yard.

Pescado_Verde

B&H Photo has the factory refurbed Nikon D7500 body on sale for $599. I love mine, I think it was the same deal back last summer. The retail list price is about twice that much so not likely to find one in like new condition for less. Huge upgrade from the entry level Nikon DSLR

Evaldiv6

Glad to know I’m not the only fish and photography enthusiast! Here are a few of my photos!

SaltyPhone

Evaldiv6 Welcome to the forum btw. Love the shot of the space needle I hope to get to Seattle one of these days.

Pescado_Verde

Evaldiv6 said:
Glad to know I’m not the only fish and photography enthusiast! Here are a few of my photos!
Living in the PNW should be considererd cheating when it comes to photo ops. VERY nice!

Pescado_Verde

Being confined to quarters doesn't allow for much in the way of photo ops. I've resorted to luring targets in. Lucky for me, bread is cheap, cheap!

Pescado_Verde

I had yesterday off from work for Easter so I spent much of the day messing around with the camera. First here at the house trying to get a good shot of a bird and then at the Baylor campus, which is largely deserted. Meh. Little birds haul butt and shifting gears to shoot random things at a college campus doesn't lead to much success with either. Anyway, here's a mess of photos I'm not particularly proud of but want to share because boredom and maybe they will
spark some discussion.

Pescado_Verde

Mas.

Pescado_Verde

Almost forgot, I shot a couple more bird pics after I got home.

Pescado_Verde

And one from today.

Pescado_Verde

And one from this morning using the kit 70-300mm. It's pretty danged sharp in good light but the small aperture limits its usefulness a lot.

Pescado_Verde

Game. On.

86 ssinit

Hello folks! Not much of a serious photographer. Mostly take pics with an iPhone. But I do own a Nikon D80. Had it for years. It has an 18-200mm Nikkor lens on it. Was taking some pics with it yesterday and still couldn’t zoom in as much as I wanted.
was able to enlarge on iPad but am interested in a better lens. I’m looking at the Nikkor 70-300mm lens. Almost bought one last night but read somewhere that I need an AF-S lens and not the AF-P lens. The S seems to be a lot more money. The P in most descriptions says it works with the D80. But in one it says it won’t work in camera's older then 2013. Any info about this? And if I do get the AF-S lens will it still work in newer cameras? Magicpenny75 I read you also own this camera. Is this what you take your pictures with? Thanks for any info .

MomeWrath

86 ssinit said:
Hello folks! Not much of a serious photographer. Mostly take pics with an iPhone. But I do own a Nikon D80. Had it for years. It has an 18-200mm Nikkor lens on it. Was taking some pics with it yesterday and still couldn’t zoom in as much as I wanted.
was able to enlarge on iPad but am interested in a better lens. I’m looking at the Nikkor 70-300mm lens. Almost bought one last night but read somewhere that I need an AF-S lens and not the AF-P lens. The S seems to be a lot more money. The P in most descriptions says it works with the D80. But in one it says it won’t work in camera's older then 2013. Any info about this? And if I do get the AF-S lens will it still work in newer cameras? Magicpenny75 I read you also own this camera. Is this what you take your pictures with? Thanks for any info .
I'll have to check when I get home. I know we bought a used lens at a camera shop and even the guy we got it from was commenting it was an older model. I think all the shots I've posted were taken with my phone. I did take this one with the D80 years ago with the portrait lens on it.. but I don't remember the specifics on the lens sorry

Pescado_Verde

86 ssinit said:
When I have questions about lenses and camera compatibility I usually check Ken Rockwell's site.

Generally the information is accurate but with Nikon over the years there have been a lot of iterations of lenses that are technically the same but yet different and it can be difficult to be certain which variant you're looking at exactly. Still, a good place to start.

Pescado_Verde

If you're stuck in a rut or at the house due to some sort of quarantine here's a good read for ideas. Would anyone be interested in a group exercise?

SaltyPhone

Pescado_Verde said:
If you're stuck in a rut or at the house due to some sort of quarantine here's a good read for ideas. Would anyone be interested in a group exercise?

For sure if you want to organize something like that; I’d surely participate!

Pescado_Verde

SaltyPhone said:
For sure if you want to organize something like that; I’d surely participate!
Haha, well sir, I am an IDEA man, not so much an organizer.

I guess there's a first for everything though so we'll see how much interest there is and go from there. One of the ideas that I kind of liked was the "taking a walk without your camera". There's probably a lot of interesting things we pass everyday or could find in a short walk exploring a new location that would challenge us to see the world more thru-the-lens than perhaps we already do.

I know I took an Uber ride last weekend and it's funny how you see things when you're a passenger that you might not see when driving. There was a field in a warehouse area that was full of dandelion flowers. Not the billowy white blooms yet, just the yellow flowers. It's within walking distance of the house and I'd never noticed it. Things like that. I like the idea of walking a route both directions and looking at errrthang. Details, skylines, shadows etc.. really looking. And picking things out before coming back to shoot them.

Anyway, we'll see what else folks come up with. I think if we do this it would be best to have each contributor create their own project thread - "Pescado's Walk Around Town" etc... That way we could each post whatever and then have a discussion/comments on just that person's work.

Okay, that's my thoughts before coffee. Run with it!

MomeWrath

I didn't look at the "exercises" link, because it's probably not something I'll be able to participate in since I'm still working full time and my husband is now home from work for a couple of weeks...
My water lily bloom finally decided to open yesterday after bobbing on the surface for almost a week. It's still a little cold so I didn't get the same glory as in my avatar, but I had some fun with the color-pop filter built into my phone. I wish the camera on the phone took better images to start with, these are still pretty noisy and fuzzy, but the color on the flower is almost too much for a digital camera to deal with, so it was easy to isolate.

Pescado_Verde

Crikey that's one awesome blossom!

As far as participating in a group effort, maybe look thru the list of activities. A good number of them don't really require much time or any travel. You can take an egg and a lightsource of any kind and take 20 pictures of the egg while moving the location of the light. Things like that. I don't even know if that's on the list, lol, just something I've heard of.

On a different note, Nikon USA has a Refurbished Products area on their website, worth a look for good gear at good prices.

Pescado_Verde

I'm not sure what this plant in the foreground is, definitely looks like something you'd see in the desert Southwest though, it has some yucca characteristics. It adds a nice splash of color to the landscape and probably needs little to no care most of the time.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom