Let’s Talk Photography! - Page 3

Pescado_Verde

French Mime Horse.

DSC_3416_00001.jpg

Jerome O'Neil said:
I actually was just about to ask the same question. I actually like the granyness of high ISO films.
I took a bunch of shots today using 4000 ISO. They're okay I think. I find that if it's a subject that's far enough away and fine detail isn't terribly important then it can work. Trying to crop those shots down to isolate a face or something, no it won't work. For some I used a friends 180mm lens and was surprised by how well it could do. This is after some cropping also. It's not going to work for portraits obviously, lol.

DSC_3426_00001.jpg

Pescado_Verde

Another one from this past weekend. These were all shot at ISO 4000.

DSC_3445_00001.jpg

SaltyPhone

The kids had a marching band comp this weekend. I managed to get quite a few good pics despite the broad changes in lighting due to a storm rolling in then out; in then out again. Here are two pics of the local college Western Carolina's drum line I was experimenting with shutter speed to see if motion blur helped or detracted from the sense of action. both pics are taken with a kit 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 maybe?

Attachments

kallililly1973

SaltyPhone said:
The kids had a marching band comp this weekend. I managed to get quite a few good pics despite the broad changes in lighting due to a storm rolling in then out; in then out again. Here are two pics of the local college Western Carolina's drum line I was experimenting with shutter speed to see if motion blur helped or detracted from the sense of action. both pics are taken with a kit 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 maybe?
Nice shots!!

SaltyPhone

Took the Blue Ridge Parkway home and got these shots with the 50mm f1.8 .
DSC_0706.jpg

DSC_0710.jpg

DSC_0718.jpg

DSC_0725.jpg

Pescado_Verde

Pedal powered armadillo at the art festival.

DSC_3731_00001.jpg

Elkwatcher

My favourite... Canon 70-200mm 2.8 IS "The Colour Of Love"

t1-75310-ove_for_your_consideration.jpg

Pescado_Verde

The art festival yesterday was rough. It was an absolutely fabulous day weather-wise but it was also full sun and cloudless skies. I was either shooting from the sun into the shade or from the shade into the sun and it was just brutal. None of the art really spoke to me so no pics there. The stage for music was half in sunlight, half in shadow. Oh well, now I've gone from shooting indoors in poor lighting to outdoors in tough lighting.

Some yahoo playing stick guitar. It's like air guitar, but with a stick.

DSC_4288_00001.jpg

Somebody got their face painted, or something.

DSC_4212_00001.jpg

Here mom, you're going to need some water to wash that corndog down.

DSC_4229_00001.jpg

SaltyPhone

798001D0-29EB-4715-B8F9-18AFE090E135.jpeg
Those are some great shots at the art festival. I got so sucked into the child offering her mom some water. Great job with that one. It’s fast becoming a slower time at work for me so hopefully I’ll be able to get out more. Of course this time of year means not much is going on. Catch22 lol so I’ll be stuck still taking pics around the house. Here is one I took with the phone playing around with composition.

Pescado_Verde

Turn the camera at a slight angle. J/K, I know nothing of composition. I think Elkwatcher would probably be better with that topic than I would.

Your picture makes me miss the woods of NC. Friend of mine just moved out there from Texas a month or so ago and is enjoying the back roads a bit. He's been to Snow Camp and Mt Ayr among some other places.

SaltyPhone

9952B10E-9DA2-4F61-B309-99DF8948B529.jpeg

1F96710B-458F-4AF5-B13E-BFBE6948F31C.jpeg
Like this one? Lol I didn’t like the composition as much. You mean Mayberry? Mount Airy is up near the VA border it’s very beautiful up there.

Elkwatcher

Pescado_Verde I love candid but I always feel so self conscious doing them especially children. What are your thoughts on taking pics of people you don't know. I always ask permission to use and show the to anyone in it. Some people will decline and I delete the photo in front of them. Many are quite happy and I'm willing to share the with them as I'm not shooting for business only pleasure. Your exposures are great considering the weather!

Of course there are times when you can't ask permission such as this I shot out of the back window of our truck while my husband was driving. He actually mean't for me to shoot the photo through the side view mirror. After taken I was rather nervous as the biker's made no attempt to pass us for the whole drive... and I though maybe I shouldn't have. ;)

Bikers.jpg

Pescado_Verde

SaltyPhone said:

9952B10E-9DA2-4F61-B309-99DF8948B529.jpeg

1F96710B-458F-4AF5-B13E-BFBE6948F31C.jpeg
Like this one? Lol I didn’t like the composition as much. You mean Mayberry? Mount Airy is up near the VA border it’s very beautiful up there.
He said Mt Ayr. but meant Ayr Mount. I've been thru Mt Airy once, pretty little town. Driving thru on our way to visit the then wife's family in Indiana.

I like the new pictures much better. And nice cat!

Pescado_Verde

Elkwatcher said:
Pescado_Verde I love candid but I always feel so self conscious doing them especially children. What are your thoughts on taking pics of people you don't know. I always ask permission to use and show the to anyone in it. Some people will decline and I delete the photo in front of them. Many are quite happy and I'm willing to share the with them as I'm not shooting for business only pleasure. Your exposures are great considering the weather!

Of course there are times when you can't ask permission such as this I shot out of the back window of our truck while my husband was driving. He actually mean't for me to shoot the photo through the side view mirror. After taken I was rather nervous as the biker's made no attempt to pass us for the whole drive... and I though maybe I shouldn't have. ;)

Bikers.jpg
Lol, weird things happening with the posts/edits looks like. Anyway, to your question about taking candids, I have no qualms at all. People are out in public and have no expectation of privacy there. There's cameras EVERYWHERE now, in every store etc... People engaged in activities are interesting to me whether it's folks riding horses, or playing frisbee, or just walking the dog. All the same in my opinion. The camera is just capturing the things we already see with our eyes anyway.

Pescado_Verde

Here's a few more from Sunday that weren't terrible with the contrast.

This is part of a sculpture installation at the river. The town was a crossing point on the Chisholm Trail back in the days of cattle drives, they'd actually drive the herds across the suspension bridge once it was built. Anyway, there's an entire small herd of bronze longhorn cattle (15-20) and a couple of drovers. This is just one of the cowboys silhouetted against the sky.

DSC_3737_00001.jpg

One of the hip-hop artists doing his thing.

DSC_3822_00001.jpg

When this guy walked off, the couple were left to bake in the sun.

DSC_3835_00001.jpg

Random food trailer.

DSC_4020_00001.jpg

Kinda looked like Maya Rudolph.

DSC_4296_00001.jpg

Pescado_Verde

I've been thinking about getting a 70-200mm zoom for a while now but the prices for the newer models are just really out there. I think I may instead get an older 80-200. The newer body D7500 that I bought has an internal focusing motor which means that it will work with the older Nikon lenses, which are considerably cheaper. They still make the 80-200 that they started making back in the 70's or 80's and it's new at Wal-Mart for $1,000. That's a good bit of coin for a lens but the 70-200 VR II runs nearly 3K new. Yeah. No hurry on getting it but I'm going to look at those, ask around etc... Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Elkwatcher

Pescado_Verde said:
I've been thinking about getting a 70-200mm zoom for a while now but the prices for the newer models are just really out there. I think I may instead get an older 80-200. The newer body D7500 that I bought has an internal focusing motor which means that it will work with the older Nikon lenses, which are considerably cheaper. They still make the 80-200 that they started making back in the 70's or 80's and it's new at Wal-Mart for $1,000. That's a good bit of coin for a lens but the 70-200 VR II runs nearly 3K new. Yeah. No hurry on getting it but I'm going to look at those, ask around etc... Anyone have any thoughts on that?
I'm odd woman out as I don't use the Nikon system, my 70-200mm is first generation, the new ones are far more expensive.. if it weren't for it's weight it would easily stay on my camera for everything! I paid over a $1000 for mine used from a pro photographer so I knew it was looked after, and I've never regretted it.

Pescado_Verde

Most first party mfgr's lenses seem to be pretty danged good. There's some poorly executed examples out there but they're pretty well documented so can be avoided. This Nikon lens has had 4 iterations over the years and reviews are mixed, just seems to depend on who you're hearing it from. I've read that they may actually discontinue making the lens soon though so I'm kinda thinking I might ought to go ahead and get one now.
Buying used would be great if I could do like you did and buy from someone I trusted but I don't have that option unfortunately. The lens is an old design and time tested but it does weight a good bit more than the newer ones but I'm not taking it backpacking so not too worried about that and I don't know that I would need the VR the newer ones have. I find myself taking pictures in poor lighting but it's moving subjects so kinda pointless to add that expense if it doesn't help me.

Pescado_Verde

Started looking at the schedule of events coming up here and the WPRA (Women's Pro Rodeo) in a couple of weeks is going to be held, in part, in the actual coliseum where the lighting is much better. I think I've learned a good bit since the last time I shot in there plus I have a couple of faster lenses now so I'm hoping I'll get some decent shots. Unfortunately they're having the team roping in the lousy lighting arena and the barrel racing in the nicer lighting. I wish it were the other way around as I prefer the team roping as a photo op.

SaltyPhone

In order to get more practice in composition I’ve been using my pitifully outdated iPhone to snap pics at work. I absolutely hate people that build fences around utility poles :). These colts pretended to help till I found out they were the culprits of the chewed up wire.

toeknee

We got our first snow last week. Here's a few pics from around here when it was coming down pretty hard. Taken with Nikon D7200, 70-200mm lens. Each pic is at least 3 pics stitched together. The only way I could get the file size small enough to upload here was to first upload to facebook then save pic from there to my computer so these copies lost a good deal of quality and sharpness compared to the original save files.

Elkwatcher

SaltyPhone said:
In order to get more practice in composition I’ve been using my pitifully outdated iPhone to snap pics at work. I absolutely hate people that build fences around utility poles :). These colts pretended to help till I found out they were the culprits of the chewed up wire.
SaltyPhone I love a good horseface! I try to use the rule of thirds and never put anything in the middle, it works for me. Also different POV's can make for interesting compositon, shooting under, over, getting down on the floor level with your subject... I think I'll give that one up soon!

toeknee Wonderful photo's especially the panoramic, did you piece it together? The bottom photo has a historic feel, is it an old area or are developers building like this now!

SaltyPhone

toeknee said:
We got our first snow last week. Here's a few pics from around here when it was coming down pretty hard. Taken with Nikon D7200, 70-200mm lens. Each pic is at least 3 pics stitched together. The only way I could get the file size small enough to upload here was to first upload to facebook then save pic from there to my computer so these copies lost a good deal of quality and sharpness compared to the original save files.
toeknee I'm a sucker for historical architecture and adore the street shot! Elkwatcher I’ve been doing some experiments with point of view and variations of static subjects. As soon as I can shoot and edit those I’ll certainly share. Till then here is Leo the uncooperative betta.
Edit: gotta throw a pleco shot in too!

Pescado_Verde

I want to see better pictures of that BETTA! Looks gorgeous!

SaltyPhone

Pescado_Verde said:
I want to see better pictures of that BETTA! Looks gorgeous!
Aye aye!

Elkwatcher

SaltyPhone said:
toeknee I'm a sucker for historical architecture and adore the street shot! Elkwatcher I’ve been doing some experiments with point of view and variations of static subjects. As soon as I can shoot and edit those I’ll certainly share. Till then here is Leo the uncooperative betta.
SaltyPhone How long have you had this photogenic Betta? ;)

toeknee

Woke up to clear sky's this morning after several days of snow. Decided to go for a stroll with the camera. (Nikon D7200) First pic is with the 18-55mm kit lens. Second 3 are with the 70-200mm. I've been trying to work on my telephoto lens photography, trying to find smaller scenes within the big scenes.

DSC_0177.jpg

DSC_0203.jpg

DSC_0221-2-2.jpg

DSC_0235.jpg

Pescado_Verde

I like the 2nd one with the tree in the foreground. I'd probably do some cropping but that's just me. Very nice! :)

Pescado_Verde

Women's Pro Rodeo National Finals are in town. I spent an hour or so this evening shooting with my 85mm f1.8 and a friends old Nikon 180mm f2.8. I really like the 180mm lens but being that it's a fixed lens it takes learning some trigger discipline. Too easy to take shots that don't fill the frame but with horses going a bazillion miles an hour it's tricky. Plus it's indoors and so the high ISO comes into play and seems to be much more noticeable the further away the subject is. Pretty sure the ISO on this shot was 5000. So these are pretty tight shots taken as the rider was approaching me. Also pretty hard to get a really tack sharp focus on something like that. I've still got a LOT of shots to look thru and I think towards the end I had some better stuff. At least I'm hoping I got better as it went. :)

Anyway, here's a cowgirl trying to earn some money the hard way!

If I end up with a bunch of keepers I'll start a thread and link to it here.

DSC_5856_00001.jpg

Elkwatcher

Can you set the focus points to cover a broader range or use tracking in the menu? That's not bad at all for a higher ISO! The tack is gorgeous.

Pescado_Verde

Elkwatcher said:
Can you set the focus points to cover a broader range or use tracking in the menu? That's not bad at all for a higher ISO! The tack is gorgeous.
I'll look into using more focus points. I was shooting with what Nikon calls their "Group AF". I've got a book on just the Nikon AF systems, it's about 350 pages in length, lol. If there's an answer I'm pretty sure it's in there I'll just need to do some reading. Ugh. :(

But I do think, just going on memory here, that group focus points will tend to "grab" the closest point of the subject and lock onto that. So likely the horses nose will be tack sharp (no pun intended) and the rider slightly out of focus. But I'll check that out. Very possible too that it's just the age of the lens, it's a screw drive and doesn't have internal focusing motors. It relies on the camera.

Oh, and "Team Calgary", the Canadian team, won their competition!

Elkwatcher

Pescado_Verde said:
I'll look into using more focus points. I was shooting with what Nikon calls their "Group AF". I've got a book on just the Nikon AF systems, it's about 350 pages in length, lol. If there's an answer I'm pretty sure it's in there I'll just need to do some reading. Ugh. :(

But I do think, just going on memory here, that group focus points will tend to "grab" the closest point of the subject and lock onto that. So likely the horses nose will be tack sharp (no pun intended) and the rider slightly out of focus. But I'll check that out. Very possible too that it's just the age of the lens, it's a screw drive and doesn't have internal focusing motors. It relies on the camera.

Oh, and "Team Calgary", the Canadian team, won their competition!
Way to go Canucks! :p:p:p

Pescado_Verde

One more pic. The rest are pretty derivative. I don't know if I'll ever be able to get the type of shots that I want in this arena with the gear I have. I see professional photographers at these events but don't really know what gear they're using or what their finished products actually look like. I'm finding it hard to believe that they're getting considerably better shots. I mean, I'm using an f1.8 lens for some of this stuff and still struggle to find a sweet spot that will freeze the action and also capture enough light for a good exposure without using high ISO. I did meet one guy some months back and he's scheduled to be here in town for a couple of shows in late November/early December. You can bet I'll be picking his brain. One thing I have not tried is using a strobe/flash. Just seems like it might be frowned upon by the horse people.

DSC_6165_00001.jpg

Pescado_Verde

A couple of barrel racing cowgirls. I'm still messing around with the 180mm lens. I like it but it requires a certain amount of space/distance.

DSC_8715_00001.jpg

DSC_8176_00001.jpg

MomeWrath

My most willing model...
frodo.jpg

Pescado_Verde

I meant to note that the pictures I posted were shot at ISO 6400. I'm pretty impressed with how well that holds up. You're not going to be able to crop them without it becoming glaringly noticeable but full frame shots are okay I think. Indoors and fast action is just really hard to capture without using the high sensitivity.

MomeWrath

Pescado_Verde said:
I meant to note that the pictures I posted were shot at ISO 6400. I'm pretty impressed with how well that holds up. You're not going to be able to crop them without it becoming glaringly noticeable but full frame shots are okay I think. Indoors and fast action is just really hard to capture without using the high sensitivity.
The lights in those arenas are always terrible for photos, too! I'm impressed that you can get anything in focus, at speed, in poor lighting, and still get the ISO even close. Nicely done.

Pinnergy75

Magicpenny75 said:
I'm tagging along. I've gotten some really good shots with no camera at all (iPhones of various generations) which I edited with free software. I feel like if I had learned something about f-stop and aperture and film speed and how they all worked together...I would have been unstoppable.... my husband offered to pay for photography lessons. I should have taken him up on it.
Sorry if this wasn't intended to be a show-off thread...
Stunning photos... you definitely have the right to show off!!!

Pescado_Verde

Magicpenny75 said:
My most willing model...
frodo.jpg
Good looking kitteh! Speaking of models, I may have a family that will let me shoot them for fun. Lady I work with, her husband and their two little ones. I'm scared to death, lol. Oh well, have to start somewhere! Probably won't happen for a few weeks yet, I'll post if it works out. Outside of that I've been cleaning out the couch regularly and trying to save up a little bit of extra cash for a new lens but that may still be a couple of months off. I want to do a bit more trial and error stuff first to help pin down what I think I need in a lens.

MomeWrath

Pescado_Verde said:
Good looking kitteh! Speaking of models, I may have a family that will let me shoot them for fun. Lady I work with, her husband and their two little ones. I'm scared to death, lol. Oh well, have to start somewhere! Probably won't happen for a few weeks yet, I'll post if it works out. Outside of that I've been cleaning out the couch regularly and trying to save up a little bit of extra cash for a new lens but that may still be a couple of months off. I want to do a bit more trial and error stuff first to help pin down what I think I need in a lens.
Based on the pic of your mama...I think you should go for it!!

Top Bottom