Let’s Talk Photography! - Page 2

SaltyPhone

Very cool all I managed to shoot today was my wife's latest obsession; I wish it was a self portrait
DSC_0091.jpg

MaximumRide14

I don't really know anything about photography, but does anyone have any good recommendations for Polaroid cameras? I think it would be really cool to learn how to use it properly. The only polaroid pictures I have are from Etsy so I could attach them to string lights in my room haha.

Pescado_Verde

MaximumRide14 said:
I don't really know anything about photography, but does anyone have any good recommendations for Polaroid cameras? I think it would be really cool to learn how to use it properly. The only polaroid pictures I have are from Etsy so I could attach them to string lights in my room haha.
Are you talking about the old style ones that develop the film in your hand?

MaximumRide14

Pescado_Verde said:
Are you talking about the old style ones that develop the film in your hand?
Yep!

fish 321

MaximumRide14 said:
have you looked at the canon IVY CLIQ.

MaximumRide14

fish 321 said:
have you looked at the canon IVY CLIQ.
Yes. I've also seen some others that were a little cheaper but hopefully still good quality. Thanks!

Pescado_Verde

Elkwatcher said:
I use the Digital Photography School link as a resource, also bought Scott Kelby's book on LR and watch Youtube's. I've edited for a few years in free Nik software which is excellent. The worst part of LR for me is managing the files, as if anything is moved outside of the program it doesn't know where the s are. Now I'm getting smart and naming the s... try and find something you've lost that is a numbered file. I like to do creative editing... Still trying to learn layers to make composites.. one of the easiest photo editors I've trialed is Photoshop Elements and it hasn't the cost of Photoshop. Yes, I'm an editor junky.

Greenhouse Glass colored Photomatix.jpg

IMG_7181.jpg

Leaf 1.jpg

IMG_5654.jpg

Old Truck needs fix copy.jpg
I knew I'd probably come back to this post! Which Scott Kelby book do you have? What about it do you like? Dislike? Is it current to what LR is today? Any other books you've read on the subject and liked?

Jerome O'Neil

Pescado_Verde said:
Last of this batch.
Those are some pretty fancy boats!

Elkwatcher

Pescado_Verde said:
I knew I'd probably come back to this post! Which Scott Kelby book do you have? What about it do you like? Dislike? Is it current to what LR is today? Any other books you've read on the subject and liked?

Good morning Pescado_Verde. My Scott Kelby book is outdated now for LR4, it's a good go to book for tutorials, one of the only things I don't like about it is the illustrations of the computer menu instruction are hard to see as they are tiny and in a dark grey. He writes well and the instruction is written in a fun way. But like any technical book it can be over whelming. It's a thick heavy 488 page book, not night time reading!

My LR program is a camera software disc with licence that I bought online, not up to date but good enough for what I do, which is mostly learning by poking around and learning by trial and error. I have the attention span of a crow and am easily distracted by bright and new things, so have never really become fully versatile with it. Of all the software that I have it is still my first go to for basic editing though.

When I get stuck in it, I'll google my problem and find a youtube to get me out of it.
The links below I keep on my desk top and refer to often. They are both excellent resources. Hope this info might help!

Post processing :

Photography Basics Resource :

Advanced Photography :

hagen_150625_0001.jpg

hagen_150625_0005.jpg

Pescado_Verde

That tutorial link is awesome! I think I'll read thru the sections that I want to read and then make a decision on subscribing to LR. Photographers I know use LR and other options too so I'm not dead set on just one yet but I like what I'm seeing of LR so far.

I bought another camera body yesterday. Sigh. I couldn't resist, lol. Photog friend bought one and sent me the link. It's a Nikon D7500. Factory refurbished by Nikon for about half the price of a brand new one. I got it from B&H which is a well known outlet for cameras and photographic supplies. New toy!! Woooooo!!!!! I should have it in time for the barrel races this weekend, I don't know if I'll use it as my primary camera yet but I'll take it and try to learn as much as I can with it while I'm there. So between that and a 70-200 lens that I'm considering I think that should about do it for me for camera gear for a good long while.

Still not set on the 70-200, there's prime lenses in the 200-300 range that I might also consider as options. Price is going to play some part in the final decision but I do think that I like prime lenses better, generally speaking. I think for the money you're getting better glass simply because the variable focal length lenses have the price tied to the mechanical gizmos that allow it to go from one length to another whereas with a prime lens it's all about the glass and the AF and that's it.

Pescado_Verde

Elkwatcher here's what I ended up doing for post processing. I used the LR tutorial that one of your links led me to and I applied it to the Nikon NX-D software. There's pretty much a counterpart for every single thing LR does. A few things I can't do with Nikon's software is things like sharpen eyes and mess with IG style filters. Well, Adobe Elements has those. So I spent $60 for a copy of Elements off of Amazon. With the two packages I should be able to do pretty much anything that can be done with LR.

Here's the photo of my mom I messed with over the weekend. First is the as it came out of the camera as a RAW file and the second is my attempt today at post processing that same just using the LR tutorial but with my Nikon software. It's not great but that's just me and not the tools. I'll learn it better.

MTT_1274.jpg

MTT_1274_00001_02.jpg

Elkwatcher

Pescado_Verde said:
Elkwatcher here's what I ended up doing for post processing. I used the LR tutorial that one of your links led me to and I applied it to the Nikon NX-D software. There's pretty much a counterpart for every single thing LR does. A few things I can't do with Nikon's software is things like sharpen eyes and mess with IG style filters. Well, Adobe Elements has those. So I spent $60 for a copy of Elements off of Amazon. With the two packages I should be able to do pretty much anything that can be done with LR.

Here's the photo of my mom I messed with over the weekend. First is the as it came out of the camera as a RAW file and the second is my attempt today at post processing that same just using the LR tutorial but with my Nikon software. It's not great but that's just me and not the tools. I'll learn it better.

MTT_1274.jpg

MTT_1274_00001_02.jpg
Pescado_Verde Well done! Natural looking and you brought the brightness and life out. Your mother is still stunning.

Pescado_Verde

New camera showed up today as did my copy of Elements that I ordered. Gonna be a busy next 2 weeks, lol.

First impressions of the new camera are very good. It seems to be a far more advanced model from the D3500. I watched a Jared Polin video instead of reading the manual and think I have it setup pretty much the way I want it. It's going to take some time to get used to the controls, they're quite a bit different from those on the other camera but I think having the one Nikon already helped with figuring this one out.

Barrel races tomorrow, Saturday and Sunday and then again next weekend too. Hope I come home with good pictures and if not that I have something I can process into good pictures! Sows ears, silk purses etc...

Elkwatcher

Pescado_Verde said:
New camera showed up today as did my copy of Elements that I ordered. Gonna be a busy next 2 weeks, lol.

First impressions of the new camera are very good. It seems to be a far more advanced model from the D3500. I watched a Jared Polin video instead of reading the manual and think I have it setup pretty much the way I want it. It's going to take some time to get used to the controls, they're quite a bit different from those on the other camera but I think having the one Nikon already helped with figuring this one out.

Barrel races tomorrow, Saturday and Sunday and then again next weekend too. Hope I come home with good pictures and if not that I have something I can process into good pictures! Sows ears, silk purses etc...
Pescado_Verde How is your new D7500 different from your last? Elements is great application, hope you enjoy it.
I upgraded from a Canon 5D to a 7DMarkII. The auto focus on the 7D is so advanced with mega menu's I'm still learning it and doing custom settings. I still shoot with the 5D as I like full frame. Lucky that you have a manual, Canon started using only online manuals and I normally like to travel with one. Have fun at the boat races!
This photo was edited in LR. I wanted to bring the "ironess" out in the locomotive and dull down the forest.

Number 25.jpg

Pescado_Verde

Elkwatcher said:
Pescado_Verde How is your new D7500 different from your last? Elements is great application, hope you enjoy it.
I upgraded from a Canon 5D to a 7DMarkII. The auto focus on the 7D is so advanced with mega menu's I'm still learning it and doing custom settings. I still shoot with the 5D as I like full frame. Lucky that you have a manual, Canon started using only online manuals and I normally like to travel with one. Have fun at the boat races!
This photo was edited in LR. I wanted to bring the "ironess" out in the locomotive and dull down the forest.

Number 25.jpg
Nice picture! Where was it taken? One of the guys who posts on another forum in the photography discussion there has a sort of fascination with trains. Well, not really the trains but the people they attract. GraffitI artists and rail hoppers. He's got some really good and gritty photos of the people and the artwork that the graffitI folks do.

The D7500 has more buttons and dials on the body than the D3500. On the D3500 many of those buttons and dials are things that you do thru the menu/screen. I've gotten used to that so I'm going to have to program myself again to know where things are.

The focus is vastly superior, faster, sharper, the focus point has better visibility in the viewfinder. The display of camera settings in the viewfinder are illuminated better. Just a ton of little things that I like better.

I may have lied about there being a manual, haha, I didn't really even look. I just know there was some papers and stuff in the box.

Polin's videos are usually fairly in depth but I was a bit disappointed in this one. Even after watching it a couple times thru, and it's nearly an hour long, there were still a lot of things he glossed over. Things I had questions about. His youtube channel and website are "froknowsphoto" . He's got plenty of good Canon videos too if you're ever looking for something to watch.

Luckily I bought an ebook a few months back on the Nikon AF systems and most of what I needed was in there. The book is by Steve Perry, an outdoors/wildlife photographer. The book is around 450 pages and covers everything a person could ever want to know about Nikon AF systems from the nuts and bolts of how they work to individual cameras and their options and how to set them up. $20 and it is pretty much an encyclopedia of Nikon AF. I had to use it to figure out the back button AF.

Oh, and this weekend is BARREL races. People on horses.

SaltyPhone

Pescado_Verde said:
Nice picture! Where was it taken? One of the guys who posts on another forum in the photography discussion there has a sort of fascination with trains. Well, not really the trains but the people they attract. GraffitI artists and rail hoppers. He's got some really good and gritty photos of the people and the artwork that the graffitI folks do.

The D7500 has more buttons and dials on the body than the D3500. On the D3500 many of those buttons and dials are things that you do thru the menu/screen. I've gotten used to that so I'm going to have to program myself again to know where things are.

The focus is vastly superior, faster, sharper, the focus point has better visibility in the viewfinder. The display of camera settings in the viewfinder are illuminated better. Just a ton of little things that I like better.

I may have lied about there being a manual, haha, I didn't really even look. I just know there was some papers and stuff in the box.

Polin's videos are usually fairly in depth but I was a bit disappointed in this one. Even after watching it a couple times thru, and it's nearly an hour long, there were still a lot of things he glossed over. Things I had questions about. His youtube channel and website are "froknowsphoto" . He's got plenty of good Canon videos too if you're ever looking for something to watch.

Luckily I bought an ebook a few months back on the Nikon AF systems and most of what I needed was in there. The book is by Steve Perry, an outdoors/wildlife photographer. The book is around 450 pages and covers everything a person could ever want to know about Nikon AF systems from the nuts and bolts of how they work to individual cameras and their options and how to set them up. $20 and it is pretty much an encyclopedia of Nikon AF. I had to use it to figure out the back button AF.

Oh, and this weekend is BARREL races. People on horses.
. I’ve been super busy with not working and being on strike. I probably can’t and shouldn’t post those pics. It’s nothing risqué I promise. I did purchase and receive a 50mm f1.8 and will post some of my experiences with that when I get some time outside work. I’m super excited to get out and play with that!

Pescado_Verde

SaltyPhone said:
. I’ve been super busy with not working and being on strike. I probably can’t and shouldn’t post those pics. It’s nothing risqué I promise. I did purchase and receive a 50mm f1.8 and will post some of my experiences with that when I get some time outside work. I’m super excited to get out and play with that!
The faster lens is great for shallow depth of field and really isolating a subject. It's particularly good for portraits. I have a 35mm f1.8 so it's effectively a 50mm on a DX sensor. That and the 85mm f1.8 have become my favorites. The kit telephoto is what I used at the boat races but that was full sunshine. At 300mm under overcast skies it struggles to gather enough light because of the small aperture at that focal length. Bigger and brighter is better!

MomeWrath

I don't want to derail the conversation here, but here are some photos I took with my Nikon D80 back when I only had the portrait lens. I honestly am not sure what "size" the lens is. We bought it from a friend who had upgraded to a newer frame/lens combo for portraits (professional photographer). I found the portrait lens also works well for getting candid shots of tiny things that might be altered by our presence. This glory bower tree is in my neighbor's backyard, and gets covered in butterflies about the end of July/early August. The portrait lens allowed me to get good pictures of the butterflies without them being scared away, and also I thought the background going completely blurry really lets you see the flowers and the butterflies well. I'm sure there's a term for it that I don't know.
DSC_5579.JPG

DSC_5622.JPG

And this setup, combined with the acrylic aquarium I used to have, which took out a lot of glare issues, in addition to a very indulgent spouse who doesn't complain when I turn all the lights off in the room...made for some fun shots of the aquarium too...
IMG_0187.JPG

And this, I took with a Nikon point-and-shoot digital, but I thought it was a fun shot. Sailboats are willing subjects.

DSCN2524.JPG

Pescado_Verde

Not derailing at all, that's what we're all here for! Those are nice pictures. Bokeh I think technically may refer to how light sources are blurred in a background but, and I could be wayyy wrong here, I think it's also used in general to describe that blurring from a shallow depth of field. Isolating the subject like that is pleasing to the eye generally speaking.

SaltyPhone

Magicpenny75 said:
I don't want to derail the conversation here, but here are some photos I took with my Nikon D80 back when I only had the portrait lens. I honestly am not sure what "size" the lens is. We bought it from a friend who had upgraded to a newer frame/lens combo for portraits (professional photographer). I found the portrait lens also works well for getting candid shots of tiny things that might be altered by our presence. This glory bower tree is in my neighbor's backyard, and gets covered in butterflies about the end of July/early August. The portrait lens allowed me to get good pictures of the butterflies without them being scared away, and also I thought the background going completely blurry really lets you see the flowers and the butterflies well. I'm sure there's a term for it that I don't know.
DSC_5579.JPG

DSC_5622.JPG

And this setup, combined with the acrylic aquarium I used to have, which took out a lot of glare issues, in addition to a very indulgent spouse who doesn't complain when I turn all the lights off in the room...made for some fun shots of the aquarium too...
IMG_0187.JPG

And this, I took with a Nikon point-and-shoot digital, but I thought it was a fun shot. Sailboats are willing subjects.

DSCN2524.JPG
I started this thread for the express purpose of having back and forths with others who enjoy taking photos. It’s a hobby I just recently got into so; I wanted to see and read the other members of this community’s experiences. Thanks for sharing and participating I think the composition of the main sail was spot on!

Pescado_Verde

I spent a few hours over at the horse barns today. They're having barrel races all weekend and thru Monday but today they had what are called "exhibitions". Basically a rider pays $5 to take their horse out and go around the arena. It gives the horse a chance to get acquainted with the arena. Some folks just kinda ride around real slow, might go around a barrel 2 or 3 times and others are going like it's the real thing. Some people will buy 4 or 5 go 'rounds, I guess with horses that are new to the sport they have to acclimate them somehow. So I got a lot of pictures of people going pretty slow and not dressed up in their cowpoke attire. But the new camera tracks and focuses much, much better. Very happy with the purchase.

DSC_0341_00001.jpg

SaltyPhone

Pescado_Verde said:
I spent a few hours over at the horse barns today. They're having barrel races all weekend and thru Monday but today they had what are called "exhibitions". Basically a rider pays $5 to take their horse out and go around the arena. It gives the horse a chance to get acquainted with the arena. Some folks just kinda ride around real slow, might go around a barrel 2 or 3 times and others are going like it's the real thing. Some people will buy 4 or 5 go 'rounds, I guess with horses that are new to the sport they have to acclimate them somehow. So I got a lot of pictures of people going pretty slow and not dressed up in their cowpoke attire. But the new camera tracks and focuses much, much better. Very happy with the purchase.

DSC_0341_00001.jpg
You cut the horses head off lol I hope I don’t find it in my bed tomorrow morning! Great pic of the jockey though!

This is Squeaker he is a jerk despite his adorable outward appearance!
DSC_0270.jpg

Pescado_Verde

SaltyPhone said:
You cut the horses head off lol I hope I don’t find it in my bed tomorrow morning! Great pic of the jockey though!
The horses by and large are a bit uninteresting, imo. Most are some shade of brown which blends into the brown dirt used in the arena and nothing about them really "pops". There was a paint horse there yesterday that probably would have made for some good shots but unfortunately I was playing spectator at the time and not photographer.

My photographer friend came into town yesterday to go shoot the Baylor football game and we met at a nearby Barnes & Nobles for a brief visit. He loaned me a lens of his, a very old yet very nice Nikon 180mm f2.8 AF lens. I brought the lens home and eventually stuck it on the camera and took it out in the yard and WOW, it's one very nice piece of glass. I plan to go over to the horse barns again today and give it a go. Nikon may still be making this lens however nothing about it has been updated so it's not compatible with all of their cameras because of its age. One of the reasons I went ahead and bought this new D7500 is because it will work with just about any lens they've made over the last 40 or so years.

If I can get it to work in the relatively low light in the horse show arena then I may just go buy one of my own. I've found them used in very nice condition for less than $500 which compared to some of the others I've looked at in comparable focal lengths would be a great buy. I'm hoping that its f2.8 aperture will be fast enough. Wish me luck!

I'm still culling thru the shots I got on Friday but here's one to tide us over until I get a chance to process the whole lot. I'll probably start a thread in the horse sub-forum at that point and do a full dump.

I liked this one because the rider from the waist up looks as though she could be on a street corner waiting and watching as her bus approaches, so very casual and calm. And then we notice that there's a 1,000 pounds of horse flesh under her navigating around an obstacle course.

DSC_0461_00001.jpg

SaltyPhone

I like how you froze the without a lot of motion blur; good job with this one!

MomeWrath

Pescado_Verde said:
The horses by and large are a bit uninteresting, imo. Most are some shade of brown which blends into the brown dirt used in the arena and nothing about them really "pops". There was a paint horse there yesterday that probably would have made for some good shots but unfortunately I was playing spectator at the time and not photographer.

My photographer friend came into town yesterday to go shoot the Baylor football game and we met at a nearby Barnes & Nobles for a brief visit. He loaned me a lens of his, a very old yet very nice Nikon 180mm f2.8 AF lens. I brought the lens home and eventually stuck it on the camera and took it out in the yard and WOW, it's one very nice piece of glass. I plan to go over to the horse barns again today and give it a go. Nikon may still be making this lens however nothing about it has been updated so it's not compatible with all of their cameras because of its age. One of the reasons I went ahead and bought this new D7500 is because it will work with just about any lens they've made over the last 40 or so years.

If I can get it to work in the relatively low light in the horse show arena then I may just go buy one of my own. I've found them used in very nice condition for less than $500 which compared to some of the others I've looked at in comparable focal lengths would be a great buy. I'm hoping that its f2.8 aperture will be fast enough. Wish me luck!

I'm still culling thru the shots I got on Friday but here's one to tide us over until I get a chance to process the whole lot. I'll probably start a thread in the horse sub-forum at that point and do a full dump.

I liked this one because the rider from the waist up looks as though she could be on a street corner waiting and watching as her bus approaches, so very casual and calm. And then we notice that there's a 1,000 pounds of horse flesh under her navigating around an obstacle course.

DSC_0461_00001.jpg
She's got her eye on the next target, just like she's supposed to Probably how she got that shiny buckle!
Love this shot.

Jerome O'Neil

I took this this morning with the 50mm prime. I don't want to brag or anything, but the subject is kind of photogenic.

Pescado_Verde

USING CUTE KIDS AS SUBJECTS IS CHEATING!!!!

That's a well composed shot and good job with the lighting. Five stars!

Pescado_Verde

I've been trying to learn the post processing game and I gotta say, it's a bit of a pain. I bought a copy of Photoshop Elements and installed it and finally got around to opening it to try and use it and find out that the user interface is goofy in that the font for the menus isn't scaleable meaning it's super tiny and impossible to read if you have the resolution on your computer set to anything above 1024x950 or so. Stupidly irritating. Googlez tells me this is a known issue and has been for years and Adobe has no plans to fix it. I guess people are using it on their devices that don't have the high res of a desktop monitor otherwise I don't know who could be or how.

So I've gone back to trying to make the free Nikon software do what I need and I'm making progress. I've spent a good bit of time trying to find info on the web and had some success. A good bit of it is related to other products that Nik has had over the years but some is useful still with this Nikon labelled product.

One of the biggest problems I've found with regards to shooting at the horse barns has been the poor lighting. It seems like you have to choose between either shooting at such a slow shutter speed that you get motion blur or use an ISO that is so high that the is really dirty. I'm finding that the new camera I bought has much cleaner ISO than the D3500 that I started the hobby with and I can to some extent salvage photos that appear to be drastically underexposed. Here's a shot from earlier today, one is the file as it came out of the camera and the other is after some massaging.

DSC_2055_00001_01.jpg

DSC_2055_00001.jpg

Notice that the facial features aren't sharp. This is because the face is shaded by the hat brI'm and I don't know if there's any way to recover that level of detail. I'll keep messing with both the camera and the software and maybe I'll get there eventually. I was really hoping that I'd be able to use the PSE for details like the eyes in the photos above. I might still but it's going to be a pain I'm sure.

Cowgirl glam shots, $9.95!

DSC_2687_00001.jpg

Pescado_Verde

A lot of horse people are dog people too so seeing them at the shows in not uncommon. There are signs on the doors to the arena saying "No Pets" but nobody pays any attention to them.

DSC_2555_00001.jpg

DSC_2546_00001_01.jpg

DSC_2554_00001.jpg

Pescado_Verde

Today I was using just the 180mm lens that my buddy loaned me. I'm not sure if it is due to camera shake or what but it seems like it focuses pretty well up closer but when objects get further away they start to blur some. Could just be the slow shutter speeds I'm using indoors. I need to look thru all of my shots from today and try to figure it out. This creeper shot was taken from about 15' away. It's not tack sharp but I've been using the lens wide open because I'm shooting indoors and I think if I had been using a smaller aperture it might be sharper.

DSC_2740_00001.jpg

Pescado_Verde

Some shots from barrel racing last weekend.

DSC_0849_00001.jpg

DSC_0854_00001.jpg

DSC_0924_00001.jpg

DSC_1010_00001.jpg

DSC_1084_00001.jpg

DSC_1128_00001.jpg

DSC_1176_00001.jpg

Few more from the same show.

It's like having a horse running thru your living room.

DSC_1228_00001.jpg

DSC_1528_00001.jpg

DSC_1539_00001.jpg

DSC_1564_00001.jpg

DSC_1699_00001.jpg

DSC_1563_00001.jpg

Elkwatcher

Pescado_Verde said:
I've been trying to learn the post processing game and I gotta say, it's a bit of a pain. I bought a copy of Photoshop Elements and installed it and finally got around to opening it to try and use it and find out that the user interface is goofy in that the font for the menus isn't scaleable meaning it's super tiny and impossible to read if you have the resolution on your computer set to anything above 1024x950 or so. Stupidly irritating. Googlez tells me this is a known issue and has been for years and Adobe has no plans to fix it. I guess people are using it on their devices that don't have the high res of a desktop monitor otherwise I don't know who could be or how.

So I've gone back to trying to make the free Nikon software do what I need and I'm making progress. I've spent a good bit of time trying to find info on the web and had some success. A good bit of it is related to other products that Nik has had over the years but some is useful still with this Nikon labelled product.

One of the biggest problems I've found with regards to shooting at the horse barns has been the poor lighting. It seems like you have to choose between either shooting at such a slow shutter speed that you get motion blur or use an ISO that is so high that the is really dirty. I'm finding that the new camera I bought has much cleaner ISO than the D3500 that I started the hobby with and I can to some extent salvage photos that appear to be drastically underexposed. Here's a shot from earlier today, one is the file as it came out of the camera and the other is after some massaging.

DSC_2055_00001_01.jpg

DSC_2055_00001.jpg

Notice that the facial features aren't sharp. This is because the face is shaded by the hat brI'm and I don't know if there's any way to recover that level of detail. I'll keep messing with both the camera and the software and maybe I'll get there eventually. I was really hoping that I'd be able to use the PSE for details like the eyes in the photos above. I might still but it's going to be a pain I'm sure.
May I ask what ISO you are shooting with? I'm trying to find the sweet spot with mine... Canon states one can use ISO's as high as 1600 and not have any grain... I guess that depends on circumstances. My tank photo's rely on the LED's for light and shooting at 650 ISO is noisy.

Pescado_Verde

Elkwatcher said:
May I ask what ISO you are shooting with? I'm trying to find the sweet spot with mine... Canon states one can use ISO's as high as 1600 and not have any grain... I guess that depends on circumstances. My tank photo's rely on the LED's for light and shooting at 650 ISO is noisy.
1600 is about where I start to notice grain also. 2000-2500 maybe can get away with if it's a good shot that fills the frame and doesn't need to be cropped. 3200 and up, same, some shots it will work with but most, not really.

Elkwatcher

Pescado_Verde said:
Today I was using just the 180mm lens that my buddy loaned me. I'm not sure if it is due to camera shake or what but it seems like it focuses pretty well up closer but when objects get further away they start to blur some. Could just be the slow shutter speeds I'm using indoors. I need to look thru all of my shots from today and try to figure it out. This creeper shot was taken from about 15' away. It's not tack sharp but I've been using the lens wide open because I'm shooting indoors and I think if I had been using a smaller aperture it might be sharper.

DSC_2740_00001.jpg
I like this cameo, the soft focus suits it, and the Border Collie is Wow!

Pescado_Verde

Elkwatcher said:
I like this cameo, the soft focus suits it, and the Border Collie is Wow!
I think that dog is an Australian Shepherd. I posted that picture on FB and a friend said that is what it is, that he used to have some that owned him for years and that he misses those dogs.

Baylor has a volleyball game tonight and another on Saturday afternoon against Tennessee. I may go try the Saturday game, tickets are just $1. There's also a soccer match this evening but with work it just becomes a major hurry to try to get to anything on a work day. If I do the volleyball thing then I may try the white balance trick with a sheet of white paper to try and get the color cast from the lighting fixed. The horse barns have the same issue, I've just been more interested in getting my exposures right in there but I think it's time to start looking at the color too.

Jerome O'Neil

Elkwatcher said:
I actually was just about to ask the same question. I actually like the granyness of high ISO films.

Pescado_Verde

I've started messing with the post processing software some and decided I'd try to remove the leash and the guys leg and foot from the dog picture. Here's what I ended up with. It's far from perfect but after doing it I can see what would need to b e done to get it much better, I'm just not going to invest the time to do that on this particular picture. But good to know how if I ever should want to do that!

DSC_0924_00001_02 copy.jpg

SaltyPhone

Elkwatcher said:
Tank Tested YouTube channel has some pretty cool content on shooting fish tanks.
Pescado_Verde said:
I've started messing with the post processing software some and decided I'd try to remove the leash and the guys leg and foot from the dog picture. Here's what I ended up with. It's far from perfect but after doing it I can see what would need to b e done to get it much better, I'm just not going to invest the time to do that on this particular picture. But good to know how if I ever should want to do that!

DSC_0924_00001_02 copy.jpg
Fun stuff to know for sure but , I don’t think the guy and the leash detracted from the leash at all.
Watching YouTube videos as I obviously do to a detriment sometimes I stumbled across Art of Photography channel. He has a series called photo assignments which is what I’m currently sucked into. I’ll post a few pics from what I’m doing with that once I get them together.

Pescado_Verde

Went to a reining horse show earlier. After some months of doing this if there's one thing I've learned it's that if horses are involved there's a good chance you're going to see something unplanned. Today's entry? TWO flats at the same time. Horse was doing the part of the routine where they are spinning in a circle, he got his feet tangled, stumbled and well, this is what I got.

DSC_3104_00001.jpg

nikm128

Is that a small horse or is that dude just 6'5" lol. Nice shot

Top Bottom