Let’s Talk Overflows!

hop2jr

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
HI everyone my GF and I are starting up a new salt tank, 75 gallon not drilled ( I don’t want to take the chance to crack a new tank). I have a extra eshopps pf300 which is 300gph, I know I want 5x the tank for flow on sump refuguI'm which is the Trigger Ruby 36s. My question is can I add another eshopps pf300 and make it 600 gph running 2 overflows? If so was thinking would be better flow pulling water from each end of tank than buying eshopps pf1200. What you all think?

Jesterrace

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
That could work as long as you plumb the sump right and you are correct that it would pull water from both sides of the tank which would be a plus.

Culprit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
hop2jr said:
HI everyone my GF and I are starting up a new salt tank, 75 gallon not drilled ( I don’t want to take the chance to crack a new tank). I have a extra eshopps pf300 which is 300gph, I know I want 5x the tank for flow on sump refuguI'm which is the Trigger Ruby 36s. My question is can I add another eshopps pf300 and make it 600 gph running 2 overflows? If so was thinking would be better flow pulling water from each end of tank than buying eshopps pf1200. What you all think?
Do you have any LFS near you? If so give them a call, most of them will do drilling for a small fee. And they assume responsibility of the tank when they're drilling so if they break it they replace it. At work we drill for $50.

bigdreams

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I would go for the eshopps 1200 with dual drains. This would allow u to build a proper Herbie style drain. (If not familiar, Google Herbie and BeanAnimal overflow designs). I have this dual drain overflow box on my Freshwater planted tank. You need the second drain line as an emergency line, believe me

Eshopps has a new line of overflows, the Eclipse line with BeanAnimal style drains. Requires drilling tank but very nice option worth considering for a future tank build

OP
hop2jr

hop2jr

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks for the info. I can’t drill this tank it has tempered glass and went with eshopps 1200 what are the advantages to running it old school or building a Herbie?

bigdreams

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Herbie and BeanAnimal protect against flooding your floors. Durso (single standpipe) doesn't .

OP
hop2jr

hop2jr

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Don’t think I can run Herbie set up my tank is made out of tempered glass an can’t be drilled so my eshopps overflow keeps siphon with clear u tubes.

bigdreams

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I think you may have misunderstood me.. you can set up a Herbie style drain with an overflow box (without drilling tank)... That's what I did too. The eshopps overflow U-tube should hold siphon assuming your flow rate is high enough and you don't turn off power for an extended period of time (i.e. many, many hours). I run my Freshwater tank return pump at relatively slow flow (~220gph), so I only use one of the two included U-tubes. Good luck and have fun with your set up!

OP
hop2jr

hop2jr

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Big dreams do you have a picture of your Herbie overflow set up would like to see it?

New Threads