Let's Talk Brine Shrimp

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by SeanyBaggs123, Jan 28, 2019.

1. SeanyBaggs123

SeanyBaggs123Well Known MemberMember

Hi all,

I recently have decided to relocate my tiger barbs to a new tank we put in our bedroom.

This will leave my Boesemani and Lake Kutubu rainbowfish in a tank all by their lonesome. Supposedly, they're omnivores and their colors show best with a balanced diet that includes flakes and brine shrimp. Googling how to obtain brine shrimp, in what form (cysts or full grown), how to feed them etc... made my head spin. Does anyone have experience with this?

Sean

2. Iboughtmykidfish

IboughtmykidfishWell Known MemberMember

You can buy frozen brine shrimp. I give all mine of a mix of those and bloodworms a few times a week. If your really into dyi you can make your own hatchery, but that's beyond me. I shy away from the freeze dried foods, but frozen is easy peasy

3. OP
    OP
    SeanyBaggs123

Looks like they come in cubes, yea?

4. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Cubes or slabs. Petco and Pet smart sells it.

5. Iboughtmykidfish

IboughtmykidfishWell Known MemberMember

Yup. I just get a knife and cut off chunks as i need it. Actually, i get like 2 cubes out, add a tad bit of garlic juice, defrost for a minute, stir, use what i need for a feeding and freeze the rest of the mix. 2 cubes lasts me a week if i feed frozen but i like 4 tanks to feed, so you prolly wont need as much at a time

6. Guanchy

GuanchyWell Known MemberMember

Yup, i would go with frozen too, super easy to feed your fish with it.

7. Mr. Kgnao

Mr. KgnaoValued MemberMember

Hatching brine shrimp is actually really easy, even I can manage it. I have a pint mason jar with some holes drilled into the lid, fill it with water, add about 3/4 tablespoon salt (I just use kosher salt as it's cheap and you can never be sure your brine shrimp are gentiles), feed some airline tubing through one of the holes and attach an airstone, let that run until the salt is dissolved and the water is room temperature, then add about 1/4 teaspoon brine shrimp eggs. No light, no heat source and I still get strong hatches.

Now, it is worth mentioning that I have very hard, alkaline water, which definitely helps, but if you total it all up it shouldn't cost too much; worth a try.

8. OP
    OP
    SeanyBaggs123

Where do you get your eggs Kgnao?

9. Mr. Kgnao

Mr. KgnaoValued MemberMember

In bulk on Aquabid is by far the cheapest way to go, but it might be worth trying one of those little vials from San Francisco Bay first, so if you decide hatching brine shrimp isn't for you you're not stuck with a pound of eggs.