Lets talk about the other side of fish

cheesepuff

So I realize I'm going to catch a lot of flack from you guys, especially those of you who don't like me already. But its something I think we should talk about.

I go fishing. I use live bait, I eat what I catch. I give thanks for the lives that are taken to sustain my own. I assist with the Local Department of Natural Resources Aquatic Biologists and Conservation Officers to help prevent Illegal acts and keep track of certain species of fish as they move through the country,

But

I also keep fish. I give them a good happy life in perfect water. I even rescue baby fish from pet stores that would be eaten by their parents and then give them back when their old enough to bring joy to someone eases life. I speak out against chains that let their fish live in horrific conditions and let them die a slow death. I inform people I talk to on proper fish care when I'm at pet stores.

There is a deep contrast. But just because I'm an Angler doesn't make me evil does it? I know this is a fish keeping forum, but I want to try to help both sides understand each other. I sense a lot of hate for anglers here. I think a lot of the hate comes from misunderstandings.

Most of the members here would never dream of purposely hurting any fish. Aquarists love and raise them. But in contrast Anglers do the exact opposite, but with good reason at times.

Its the great debate of kill 1 save 1000. And in some cases, its required. There are some aquatic life that if caught in the wild are required by law to be killed immediately. relocation is not an option and it would save the lives of native species.

People get a gold fish and raise it and love it until it gets too big, and then without thinking release it into the wild trying to make it happy. Seams reasonable to an aquarist. but on the other side, the Conservation Officers later that year end up putting as much as $3000 bounties on your pet gold fish because its killing all the other wild life that can't compete for food. now your $5 fish has caused thousands in damage and killed hundreds of other fish, just for the fact that you loved your gold fish.

Anglers complain all the time of catching common Plecos, Goldfish, and other large fish that get released into the wild.

See where the head butting is?

The importance of human intervention in the wild is necessary to keep the balance of life. But it can be seen as cruel if its not looked at in the big picture.

And the aquarists are often responsible for causing the work that needs human intervention. Lets take a real life example.

The rusty Crayfish is an invasive species that has decimated native crayfish populations wherever it goes. But how did it get there? The public elementary schools use crayfish as a class pet for biology lessons. but at the end of the year the kids don't want their little buddy to die, so the teacher releases it into a lake to make the kids happy. next thing we know, ecosystems are destroyed as they populate. That's how they traveled to waters far from where they originated.

Good intentions can go very wrong, and Anglers have to do what they can to combat the issues. Now that's not to say Anglers never did anything wrong. Uninformed Anglers can worsen the spread of things like the rusty crayfish by using them as bait. However, laws are put in place to try and prevent that. In some cases game wardens have taken away anglers trucks, boats, fishing equipment and fined them for breaking the laws.

But what I'm getting at is that even thought Anglers and Aquarits are polar opposites, we are unwittingly intertwined with each other. None of us are evil. We all make mistakes. But so long as we learn from them, everyone benefits.

Just wanted to get that off my chest and unite us instead of divide us.

Big Red

I'm an "angler" as well I get it. In many ways fishing made me want a tank even more To be closer to Iit to see what they do. Wehavelaws here to kill all snakeheads if caught a releasingthem can be punished by fine.

cheesepuff

Big Red said:
I'm an "angler" as well I get it. In many ways fishing made me want a tank even more To be closer to Iit to see what they do. Wehavelaws here to kill all snakeheads if caught a releasingthem can be punished by fine.
That's funny, cuz that's what actually got me into the whole aquarium thing. I went from a nice relaxing day of fishing to having seven tanks.

Jaxsco

I love fishing for sure. I agree that it doesn't make us evil or hypocrites by any means. I just wanted to voice my opinion the experiments you were conducting. Just because someone does something "bad" doesn't make them a bad person. There's no ill will at this end and if you guys will let me, I'll bore you to death with fishing stories. :-D

cheesepuff

I'm always up for a good fishing story. But somehow I think when people tell me the fish was TTTHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSS big I have to wonder. Lol

TexasDomer

I have no issues with fishing - I like eating fish too (and crawfish, yummmmm). I haven't gotten the anti-angler vibe on this forum.

I also have no issues with killing invasive species if they're caught. They don't belong there, they're messing with the ecosystem and outcompeting native species, and killing them is the best option (since you can't relocate them, abundance of fish available for ponds, etc.)

Lucy

Some posts have been edited/deleted.
We will not re-hash that subject here.

Please stay on topic.

jenmur

I've gone fishing before (and sucked at it..wrong bait?) and my brother and his wife have caught fish to catch larger fish in the Florida keys.

There is a pond where one of my dogs live that has a goldfish in it. That thing is about 15-18" long. I agree invasive species are not good to have and you gotta do what you gotta do.

lilabug4545

I am the same way. Me and my family are going to go up on a trip to Lake Erie and try to catch some goldies for a pond...

jenmur

lilabug4545 said:
I am the same way. Me and my family are going to go up on a trip to Lake Erie and try to catch some goldies for a pond...
That's a great idea!! Everyone will be happier with goldfish in a home pond

lilabug4545

jenmur said:
That's a great idea!! Everyone will be happier with goldfish in a home pond
Exactly! The goldfish don't have to die, we are taking them to a pond (good because then their systems won't be shocked), and best of all, we get more fish!!!

CarrieFisher

(Wow, old thread, but heres my two cents...
This section has some interesting threads; I should explore the forum more, lol)

My husband and I both love animals, but we hunt.
Not for the trophy, for the hormone-free, fresh venison.
Let's face it... there's not much trophy to be had out of using a doe tag

I think if you kill anything and eat the meat (okay, except humans, lol), its fine.

If you use your tag, its fine.

If you poach, thereby over extending the conservation effort, you're a shmuck.

If you harvest a giant buck, chop its head off, and leave the body in the woods, you're an even worse waste of oxygen.

BettaPonic

I don't see anything wrong with eating fish and keeping them. I personally don't eat fish, but my fish do.

shiv234

cheesepuff said:
So I realize I'm going to catch a lot of flack from you guys, especially those of you who don't like me already. But its something I think we should talk about.

I go fishing. I use live bait, I eat what I catch. I give thanks for the lives that are taken to sustain my own. I assist with the Local Department of Natural Resources Aquatic Biologists and Conservation Officers to help prevent Illegal acts and keep track of certain species of fish as they move through the country,

But

I also keep fish. I give them a good happy life in perfect water. I even rescue baby fish from pet stores that would be eaten by their parents and then give them back when their old enough to bring joy to someone eases life. I speak out against chains that let their fish live in horrific conditions and let them die a slow death. I inform people I talk to on proper fish care when I'm at pet stores.

There is a deep contrast. But just because I'm an Angler doesn't make me evil does it? I know this is a fish keeping forum, but I want to try to help both sides understand each other. I sense a lot of hate for anglers here. I think a lot of the hate comes from misunderstandings.

Most of the members here would never dream of purposely hurting any fish. Aquarists love and raise them. But in contrast Anglers do the exact opposite, but with good reason at times.

Its the great debate of kill 1 save 1000. And in some cases, its required. There are some aquatic life that if caught in the wild are required by law to be killed immediately. relocation is not an option and it would save the lives of native species.

People get a gold fish and raise it and love it until it gets too big, and then without thinking release it into the wild trying to make it happy. Seams reasonable to an aquarist. but on the other side, the Conservation Officers later that year end up putting as much as $3000 bounties on your pet gold fish because its killing all the other wild life that can't compete for food. now your $5 fish has caused thousands in damage and killed hundreds of other fish, just for the fact that you loved your gold fish.

Anglers complain all the time of catching common Plecos, Goldfish, and other large fish that get released into the wild.

See where the head butting is?

The importance of human intervention in the wild is necessary to keep the balance of life. But it can be seen as cruel if its not looked at in the big picture.

And the aquarists are often responsible for causing the work that needs human intervention. Lets take a real life example.

The rusty Crayfish is an invasive species that has decimated native crayfish populations wherever it goes. But how did it get there? The public elementary schools use crayfish as a class pet for biology lessons. but at the end of the year the kids don't want their little buddy to die, so the teacher releases it into a lake to make the kids happy. next thing we know, ecosystems are destroyed as they populate. That's how they traveled to waters far from where they originated.

Good intentions can go very wrong, and Anglers have to do what they can to combat the issues. Now that's not to say Anglers never did anything wrong. Uninformed Anglers can worsen the spread of things like the rusty crayfish by using them as bait. However, laws are put in place to try and prevent that. In some cases game wardens have taken away anglers trucks, boats, fishing equipment and fined them for breaking the laws.

But what I'm getting at is that even thought Anglers and Aquarits are polar opposites, we are unwittingly intertwined with each other. None of us are evil. We all make mistakes. But so long as we learn from them, everyone benefits.

Just wanted to get that off my chest and unite us instead of divide us.
I do spearfishing

r.john0901

I eat fish, I catch fish (catch and release), and I keep fish... I love my aquarium fish as much as I love my dog, or my cat. I also love eating fish (obviouesly not my aquarium fish), but I also love fishin, it's fun, relaxing, and rewarding. I've caughtbream, flathead, stingrays, puffers, whiteing, but I also keep guppies, goldfish, bettas, tetras etc., and I love gravlaks (Norwegian Cured Salmon), I also love me some good fish n' chips! Work with you have, look after what you have, and enjoy what you have!

Atomicfish

I believe that every fish has a right to live in the best way possible. I know that fish are good to eat but still it all balances out some how.

r.john0901

Atomicfish said:
I believe that every fish has a right to live in the best way possible. I know that fish are good to eat but still it all balances out some how.
Yes of course! Every animal has the same right to fair treatment and life as any human! And if an animal is to be killed, it needs to be justified and as humanely possible. In fact being Brittish, I love fish and chips, but I also love my goldfish and bettas!

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom