"let's Talk About Poop, Bay-bee"

1. Christinadina

Christinadina Valued Member Member

*shout out to salt 'n peppa*

hey, so, how often do you see your bettas pooping? I've had mine coming up on two weeks and haven't seen him go at all. not sure if that means anything - I'm at work during the day and (obsv) sleeping at night. but I'm used to guppies and mollies that swim around unashamedly with a poop tail. nothing like that with BO, and my endlers don't do that either.

I've only been feeding pellets so far. the container said "3-10 pellets, two or three times a day" which was not at all helpful. I think I give him like 5-7, twice a day.

should I be seeing more pooping activity? I can get some frozen peas but not sure if they're ok if it turns out he's not constipated.

thanks in advance for any poopy advice ;)

2. Aster

Aster Well Known Member Member

I never see mine in the act of pooping, although I would find a present on the sand pretty much every day until I added shrimp. Now all I see is shrimp waste. Not sure if they're eating his poo or something? :rolleyes:

Does he look bloated? If not, I think it's a good thing that you don't see him with a poop tail, it means he's not constipated or overfed.

How big are the pellets? If you're worried about constipation you can cut down to one feeding per day.

Peas won't hurt. I feed mine half of a pea every week as a preventative measure.

3. Neptune334

Neptune334 Valued Member Member

I have never seen Neptune poop. I know that he is fine because when I use the gravel vacuum I have seen his poop. As long as the fish looks fine, I wouldn't worry.

4. bgclarke

bgclarke Well Known Member Member

I never see Marius or Dorian poop, but I do find "gifts" in Marius' tank every day.
    Dorian's tank is harder to spot it, as it has black and orange substrate.

5. alex336

alex336 New Member Member

Now that you mention it, I've never seen a Betta while pooping... however, I've seen plenty of evidence.

6. OP
    OP
    Christinadina

Christinadina Valued Member Member

thanks, all! he does look fine and his appetite is good. this eases my mind that nothing is out of the ordinary. i just wasn't sure what to expect, so this was very helpful.

i give him the betta gold pellets and plan to pick up some blood worms tonight. i'll see if he likes peas as a treat once a week since they won't hurt him.