Lets talk about Movies and Books

Nags1965
See anything good lately? Anything coming out you wanna see?

I rarely ever spend the money to go "out" to see a movie.. I always wait till they hit the DVD rack. The last DVD I rented was "No Country for Old Men" Jury is still out on if I liked it or not. I can say I HATED the ending.

I'm also an avid reader.. My favorite summer time sport is laying by the pool with a good book and a glass of ice tea.

Anyone in the middle of a book they just feel they can't put down?

offminded
I was planning to watch No Country for Old Men tonight...i'll let you know what I thought of it. I just read a book by john stossel called myths, lies, and downright stupidity...very interesting

Nags1965
I am a John Stossel fan. I should check that book out.

Please do let me know what you think ab out No Country for Old Men. I am curious to know if I'm the only one left "wondering" ;D

The book I am reading now is "You Suck" by Christopher Moore. I just finished the vampire twilight series. I seem to be into vampires these days LOL. My family seems to think its my "mid life" crisis

offminded
i'll definitely let you know...vampires...cool...they're fascinating creatures!! another great book that I am reading again is called tales of ordinary madness by charles bukowski...the dude is totally nuts!!

Nags1965
Totally Nuts?? LOL.. I think I can relate to that quite well

offminded
Totally Nuts?? LOL.. I think I can relate to that quite well

relate to what? being totally nuts?

Nags1965
Yes.. totally nuts

offminded
hmmm...I think we're all totally nuts at one point or another...just not so nuts that we're committed in a room with padded walls and a straight jacket...

Nags1965
hmmm...I think we're all totally nuts at one point or another...just not so nuts that we're committed in a room with padded walls and a straight jacket...

LOL one never knows does one

Just kidding.. I'm not padded room ready... yet ;D

offminded
lol...its ok if you need to get it off your chest that you've been in one of those rooms before...we're here for you...

Nags1965
... uhoh my secret is out.. You won't tell anyone.. will ya?

offminded
your secret is safe with me

Shawnie

no straight jacket...just skirts?

Nags1965
no straight jacket...just skirts?

LOL I'm a country girl Id rather be in a straight jacket then a skirt any day..

Shawnie
LOL I'm a country girl Id rather be in a straight jacket then a skirt any day..

hehe me too!! Dave was the one that liked skirts

Nags1965
hehe me too!! Dave was the one that liked skirts

LOL.. that was quite the skirt he had on. I'm just glad it wasn't a windy day LOL..

sirdarksol
Let's see. What have I been reading lately? Pretty deep stuff. Buddhism Plain and Simple, a couple of Zen books by Deshimaru. I need to lighten up, read some more garbage to keep things even in my brain.
As far as watching stuff, I just started watching the Lone Wolf and Cub series. Pretty bloody, but a really good story. I also just watched Mermaid's Scar (anime). Again, pretty bloody, but good story.

offminded
LOL.. that was quite the skirt he had on. I'm just glad it wasn't a windy day LOL..

are you sure you were glad it wasn't a windy day?

I watched no country for old men yesterday and the ending totally STUNK!!! I was so disappointed...not to mention that that guy's character was a total whack job...talk about nuts...although he did speak very intelligently...

Nags1965
are you sure you were glad it wasn't a windy day?

I watched no country for old men yesterday and the ending totally STUNK!!! I was so disappointed...not to mention that that guy's character was a total whack job...talk about nuts...although he did speak very intelligently...

I always take the 5th when asked about wendy days ;D

I agree with the movie thing. the ending was really really disappointing. I am a huge tommy fan.. and I think he did an EXCELLENT job. other then that.. I didnt care for the movie.

offminded
take the 5th...hmmm...ok...i'll let you slide...

I was all excited and stayed up till 1 or 2 to watch it...and went to bed disappointed...

Nags1965
I got nothing

Nags1965

I failed to use quotes.. up there..

meaning.. No meaning..

offminded
hmmm...ok...or are you taking the 5th?

Nags1965
hmmm...ok...or are you taking the 5th?

LOL well I reckon you will just have to wonder bout that

offminded
looks like the 5th to me!

Nags1965
looks like the 5th to me!

:;a

These little emoticons are so cute..

KonaBoy
I'm reading The Dark Tower books by Stephen King, not his typical "horror" novels, but intriguing and somewhat weird I'm also a firm believer that "Juno" is a must see movie

Nags1965
I'm reading The Dark Tower books by Stephen King, not his typical "horror" novels, but intriguing and somewhat weird I'm also a firm believer that "Juno" is a must see movie

Juno is on my "must see" list. I hear its great.

KonaBoy
I didn't think I'd like Juno, but it's probably one of my favourite movies now Also, it has some never-grow-old quotable lines

MissMTS
I am a John Stossel fan. I should check that book out.

Please do let me know what you think ab out No Country for Old Men. I am curious to know if I'm the only one left "wondering" ;D

The book I am reading now is "You Suck" by Christopher Moore. I just finished the vampire twilight series. I seem to be into vampires these days LOL. My family seems to think its my "mid life" crisis

I just bought a book from that series! Is it good?

Nags1965
I just bought a book from that series! Is it good?

The Twilight series is excellent. I couldnt put them down..

capekate
I usually do not watch movies, but I love to read. One of my current favs are any Dean Koontz books I can find. I go to thrift stores to find them and have most likely read about if not more than 25 books of his so far. I really like his writing in his new books rather than the old horror type books of yesterday. He has come a long way in adding a lot of Spirituality to his newer books.
I saw the movie Juno tho, a friend talked me into going with her. It was .... ok. Nothing great IMO. I like more substance in my choice of movies. I'm usually disappointed after going out to a movie, and would rather read 'the book' instead.

Gamer
I read alot, mostly Sci-Fi/Fantasy and Comic books.

I am in the middle of several fantasy series/books like The DragonLance Chronicles, The Drizzt's books, The TrollSlayer series, Gods In Darkness, The Elric books and some great reads by Robert E. Howard who is the man where fantasy is concerned.

Some of my favorites that I can re-read through include 1984, Brave New World, The Stranger, The Hobbit/Lord of The Rings and Animal Farm.

As for movies. I have around 200 DVD's. I collect movies on DVD but I rarely go see one in theatre unless it's one I just can't wait to come out on DVD. Next one I see in theatres will probably be Batman: The Dark Knight.

sirdarksol
Dragonlance. Ugh. Hickman and Weiss are hacks. I absolutely adore Salvatore's writing, though.
If you like the Drizzt series, you should check out the Cleric Quintet. It has the best explanations for several of the common magical items in the D&D universe, as well as the best argument against racial class limitations (sorry, nerding out here).

If you like the Cleric Quintet, I would suggest checking out Steven Brust's Taltos series. I would start with Dragon, or maybe Athyra, if you do get into them. The books aren't necessarily in chronological order, but certain books are definitely further into the timeline than others.

bilber
I'm with nags on no country for old men. watched superbad the other day, stupid films can be funny sometimes and SO not zen or deep, almost alternative therapy sirdarksol

sirdarksol
Trust me, I've watched my share of stupid films and have read my share of junk books (Laurell K Hamilton's Merry Gentry series is a favorite for wasting my time). I just have been reading more thought-provoking stuff over the past couple of months for some reason.

offminded
I am still complaining about no country for old men. my wife made me watch atonement...it too was a bit strange at first, but it was a good chick flick!

Nags1965
Does anyone know if the BEE Movie is any good?

offminded
I liked it...and my students liked it

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
paswed
Replies
Views
r.john0901
Top Bottom