Let’s talk about fish tanks in businesses

Sofiafish17

This is a n my mind because at the time of me writing this I am sitting in a waiting room at a kids swim school waiting for my siblings while they do their lessons. The swim school is called goldfish, and they have a fish tank. Thank goodness the tank doesn’t have goldfish, but it does have fruity pebble gravel, fake plants, and glofish. I’m ignoring the genetic engineering debate about glofish for this thread. It also has 3 serpae tetra, I’m not really sure why they have those and not all glofish but whatever. It looks to be 6 glofish and 3 serpae tetra. Oh yea and the glofish are glo tetras, so like the size of a white skirt tetra. I’m bad at estimating tank size, but I think it’s between 50-60 gallons. The tetras are quite large when compared to their species, not really larger than normal but bigger than what you expect in a tank for kids that is clearly managed by employees doing a completely different job with no (noticeable) experience in fish keeping. This made me quite happy thinking that despite the look the water parameters must be good. Clearly enough water changes are being done to keep nitrate levels low and the fish are growing well. I was happy thinking I had finally seen a fish tank and a business that was properly maintained and healthy. That was until I saw a common Pleco at the back. The poor guy looks either very stunted or still young, and he was probably just gotten because they are labeled as “algae eaters” at Petsmart. It’s sad to me that people will buy “cleaner fish” to clean their own aquarium they don’t care to themselves. *Sigh*
What thoughts do you have about this tank if any? I really would like this to be a place where we discuss the general topic of fish tanks in stores and businesses. How many and what kind have you seen? Are they properly maintained? Let’s talk about this, I think it definitely needs to be talked about.
*Edit* I was wrong, I didn’t look close enough at the other tetras. They are bleeding heart, not serpae. Quite a bit bigger too. :(

BigManAquatics

Often, the tanks at businesses are completely stocked and maintained by a contractor. Don't know if it is the case, here.

Upvote 0

LowConductivity

I’m busy enough with my tanks, not sure I have the time to judge someone else’s. With that said, they have an aquarium, and the fish are alive. +1

Upvote 0

Sofiafish17

I asked, it seems like it’s not. Upon asking they said they just feed them generic pellets once a day and that’s all they do. They told me they just flushed some fish.

Upvote 0

Analisemcg

This is kind of different but I went into a local pet store for the first time the other day. My expectations weren’t great going in because I’ve heard some not great things but it was worse when I got there in the first room there was half filled ten gallon filled with foggy water and female bettas. An Axolotl in a 10 gallon, cichlids in a half filled 10-15 gallon, about 10 dead mystery snails left to rot and rainbow gravel. Then I walked over to an angelfish and gourami tank.. there was algae all over the glass almost an inch long and it was clear water changes hadn’t been done in months. Not to mention two plecos.. at least they were young. But, their goldfish tank was weirdly clean. I’m tempted to see if they will hire me to clean everything for like 10 bucks.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
sailesh10115
Replies
Views
Rose of Sharon
Replies
Views
alexk77
  • Question