Let's Make A Fishkeeper Problems Meme Thread!

sassymomma

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
AngelTheGypsy said:
Or go looking for pure ammonia...or pool filter sand...or blasting sand... or anything else NOT for fish tanks we use for fish tanks! . If I could just lie... but I'm not good at it.

Or looking for fish tank stuff at the pet store and they don't have a clue either...

I'm getting used to feeling like I have 3 eyes or 2 heads...
I usually give them an explanation of the uses of the items that I want....leave them with eyes glazed over because they aren't allowed to tell me how much I bore them lol

Saves me from feeling ridiculous for buying pool filter sand in December

FlutterFish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
When you go to a hardware store, ask for pure ammonia and the cashier asks "What part of the house do you need to clean?", and you reply, "Oh, it's to cycle my tank", and then the cashier says, "I'm sorry, this isn't for bike use."

2211Nighthawk

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
FlutterFish said:
When you go to a hardware store, ask for pure ammonia and the cashier asks "What part of the house do you need to clean?", and you reply, "Oh, it's to cycle my tank", and then the cashier says, "I'm sorry, this isn't for bike use."
HAHAHA! Kay THAT is funny...

Lchi87

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
AngelTheGypsy said:
Man that stuff is cheap! Which do you order, natural or sandblasted? Have you been disappointed in any of the pieces?
Sandblasted since those I'm sure are tank safe. If you have a question about whether or not something is, you can email customer service and they'll usually be able to tell you.

Edit: best make sure its a hardwood and unglazed as well lol

2211Nighthawk

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
grantm91 said:
Heres one i bet a few of you can relate to View attachment 309489
Yep... my last 45 I coulden't believe how bad of shape it was in. The good news was as long as I kept the algae off the front the scratches weren't as noticeable. Definantly not a long term tank though.... so I got a 60g!

grantm91

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
2211Nighthawk said:
Yep... my last 45 I coulden't believe how bad of shape it was in. The good news was as long as I kept the algae off the front the scratches weren't as noticeable. Definantly not a long term tank though.... so I got a 60g!
Thats just it as soon as the algae gets in there it just looks like a wreck of a tank as its soo hard to get out i know this as the first tank i got has deep scratches and all manner of other problems as i was in experienced and still am a little, that 70 mile drive was another lesson in a 2.0 petrol lol waste of fuel big time.

2211Nighthawk

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
grantm91 said:
Thats just it as soon as the algae gets in there it just looks like a wreck of a tank as its soo hard to get out i know this as the first tank i got has deep scratches and all manner of other problems as i was in experienced and still am a little, that 70 mile drive was another lesson in a 2.0 petrol lol waste of fuel big time.
One way that I found out works really well to get rid of the green alge was i gently scrubbed it with the sand I already had in the tank. I might have scratched it more but it already looked ugly. When I would wipe the inside of the glass down I'd get a bit of the sand on the cloth and scrubbed it off. It was really soft sand and worked great. Don't know what it would do to a new tank though.

grantm91

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
2211Nighthawk said:
One way that I found out works really well to get rid of the green alge was i gently scrubbed it with the sand I already had in the tank. I might have scratched it more but it already looked ugly. When I would wipe the inside of the glass down I'd get a bit of the sand on the cloth and scrubbed it off. It was really soft sand and worked great. Don't know what it would do to a new tank though.
It would ruin any decent glass but is probably ok for one like my corner tank which looks like the guy who had it before me used a brillo pad
6299bbce7f656ea250db43be9b80b2a8.jpg
thats one of the big scratches but a camera can not pick up how bad it is which is why its hard buying 2nd hand.
205a41f18cd52c51e604225d1297f61c.jpg
and this is my best buy ever it my 60 litre which i used to do my reef set up, it was 2nd hand but pristine literally looks like a cube of water like no glass lol all i use to clean the inside of the glass is wool you put in your filter those magnet scraper things need taking off the market they ruin tanks.

sassymomma

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I use filter wool too. I love that I can grab a new piece each time and not have to worry about it harbouring bacteria.

RedLoredAmazon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
When something major brakes in your house and you're like "there goes my fish/tank money!" :banghead::bigtears: Thanks house, I really wanted you to break again.... :grumpy:

Kalyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
When you're housemate walks in to your room, sees you playing guitar for the fishes, and says, "Oh! Come over to my room when you're done serenading your fishes," without blinking an eyelash or cracking a smile. When your crazy-fishkeeper badge is so official, it's accepted without question.

AngelTheGypsy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
When you put your betta in a medicated bath for fin issues, and sit down at the desk for work. 2 hours later the doorbell rings, and you realize the poor fish is still in the bath!!!

sassymomma

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
When you built a divider so that your kid can get some cherry shrimp, and all is cool..... and when you wake up next morning, the Betta is pleased as punch, swimming on the shrimp side of things
f99500107e3dcd04c120204caa9dfe5e.jpg

Good thing I didn't get the shrimp yet lol

RedLoredAmazon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
When you go up into the attic to find the source of the leak and then see a box for a 10 gallon aquarium! Open it and see it is...empty....couldn't find the leak and had to call mom over....I am such an adult.

sassymomma said:
When you built a divider so that your kid can get some cherry shrimp, and all is cool..... and when you wake up next morning, the Betta is pleased as punch, swimming on the shrimp side of things View attachment 310779

Good thing I didn't get the shrimp yet lol
Just had to say....come over to the shimp side! lol

sassymomma

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
When you watch fish videos on how to "dirt" an existing tank and think this looks like a breeze

And now instead of this
4f5af604ed66f1876a23a0c8a2a842e6.jpg

You have this
d2e432dcec059463e25ba45f2312da2b.jpg

And you wonder
What is it with me and messing up my best tanks???

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom