Lethargy and swim bladder

Frisbee

So, I have a 30 gal with my two young Orandas. One of them has swim bladder problems. Has for quite some time. She seems okay most of the time, just a little floaty. I don’t over feed, I regularly fast her and sometimes give her spinach and peas. She will stop to rest and float at the surface from time to time for a little bit and has some difficulty swimming down, but other then that is pretty healthy.

A couple weeks ago I started noticing her gulping quite a bit. Fearing gill flukes, I did a preventative round of PraziPro. Nothing else happened.

A couple days ago, I found her laying in the plants hardly moving. She seemed weak and lethargic. I immediately set up the hospital tub. When I scooped her up in my hand to move her to the tub, she didn’t even fuss. She must have been really weak.

I added some almond leaves and a round of antibiotics to the hospital tub since I didn’t know what the ailment was or why she was sick. The next day, she was acting totally normal besides her normal floaty issues. She was eating as well.

I did a big waterchange on the main tank and trimmed the plants. I waited one more day, then moved her back to the main tank. Today she is still her normal self for the most part, except I just found her resting in the plants again. After a couple minutes she went back to scrounging around the tank. A little while later, she was resting in the plants again.

I don’t know what to make of this.

because it was such sporadic sickness, I was thinking maybe it was stress, but the main tank is a very healthy, mature, heavily planted tank. I do a 40-50% waterchange every week with lots of prime. Water always reads 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and low nitrates.

I’m not sure what is wrong with her or how to help her. Most of the time she acts totally normal, but occasionally she will just stop and rest in the plants for a few minutes. She has a good appetite. Is it related to her swim bladder problems?

A strange thing I’ve noticed about her swim bladder issues, is that her symptoms often actually get better after a meal. I’m not sure why that would be, but it’s quite interesting.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Aquaticguy
Replies
Views
ValkyrieLips
Replies
Views
Phets95
Replies
Views