Lethargic/discolored Gbr?

TheGameAce

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Need a bit of help if possible. Over the past few days, my heater in my 55g went dead, so the temperature ended up dropping a bit in the tank. All of my rams started to get a bit more inactive and faded in color, and my male GBR in particular became lethargic and stuck to only one small portion of the tank for most of the day.

I double checked the general temperatures for them, and then I moved them to my 125 gallon where it's a nice warm 80 degrees for them. The female GBR and my pair of Golden Rams perked up rather quickly and are now quite active and fully colored up again, but my male GBR, while moving around more, is still acting rather lethargic, and his colors are off. Almost looks like the same stuff that happened once in a while back when I kept Cichlids, where the Yellow Labs would kind of develop something like 5 o'clock shadow.

The only other thing I noticed is that all the fish in the tank seem to be breathing a bit faster than they had been in the 55, which I attributed to lower oxygen content, so I set up an air pump to help oxygenate the water more, although it doesn't appear to have changed anything.

Anyone able to help me out here?

TheGameAce

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
OneLittleBubble said:
Stress probably
I figured as much, but I have no idea what to do about it right now. Water is perfect, the others are doing great, and I added in some new rocks and ornaments to try and give him some places to try and hide out if needed, but beyond that I've got no idea what to do.

TheGameAce

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
kayla.s said:
Is he eating?
I believe so. I think he was just being a bit slower than the rest during feeding time last night.

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Temperature drops can be very stressful, sometimes deadly, for most fish. Rams are sensitive fish, so the temp drop was probably extra stressful. Heavy breathing, color loss, acting lethargic can either be stress or disease. I would count out disease on account of your circumstances. Give him some time to acclimate, I would assume he’ll get better.

TheGameAce

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
AquaticJ said:
Temperature drops can be very stressful, sometimes deadly, for most fish. Rams are sensitive fish, so the temp drop was probably extra stressful. Heavy breathing, color loss, acting lethargic can either be stress or disease. I would count out disease on account of your circumstances. Give him some time to acclimate, I would assume he’ll get better.
I hope you're right! Never had a problem with them before now, and just seemed odd that he was the only one out of them all that was acting so stressed out. Would the faster breathing be on account of the warmer temperatures, by the way? Just doesn't seem normal, and I could have sworn none of my fish did it previously, so that's making me a bit nervous.

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
My current black Ram breathes fast, and I used to breed them. They can definitely breathe fast and not have anything wrong. It sounds like you have plenty of oxygenation. Wild Mikrogeophagus Ramirezi have been documented being in waters that would reach up to 90 degrees. I keep mine at 84. In fact, I don’t recommend keeping Rams below 80 degrees at all. Some fish just get extra stressed when moving tanks.

TheGameAce

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
AquaticJ said:
My current black Ram breathes fast, and I used to breed them. They can definitely breathe fast and not have anything wrong. It sounds like you have plenty of oxygenation. Wild Mikrogeophagus Ramirezi have been documented being in waters that would reach up to 90 degrees. I keep mine at 84. In fact, I don’t recommend keeping Rams below 80 degrees at all. Some fish just get extra stressed when moving tanks.
Alright, I just figured I'd take caution on the faster breathing since I haven't witnessed it before. Feel like I could use some more oxygenation though... Although I suppose with more plants, that should help increase the levels. Thanks for the help!

kayla.s

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Please keep us updated on his condition, though I get the feeling it will improve remember he's also stressed that he's in a new tank without he's usually territory, but he should settle down soon. As long as they keep eating they'll be okay I find.

TheGameAce

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
kayla.s said:
Please keep us updated on his condition, though I get the feeling it will improve remember he's also stressed that he's in a new tank without he's usually territory, but he should settle down soon. As long as they keep eating they'll be okay I find.
Hmm, so far doesn't seem to be much of a change :/ I've also noticed my Gold Rams are starting to fight here and there with my female GBR, but the only reason I can assume why would be breeding?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom