Lethargic Betta

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by BlueGrizzle, May 3, 2019.

1. BlueGrizzle New Member Member

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank?
    40L or 10.5 gallons
    How long has the tank been running? Since mid December 2018
    Does it have a filter? Yes, with sponge and a little bit of charcoal
    Does it have a heater? Yes
    What is the water temperature? 79 farenheit
    What is the entire stocking of this tank? 3 white clouds minnows and about 5 tiny baby snails.

Maintenance
    How often do you change the water? Once a week
    How much of the water do you change? 30%
    What do you use to treat your water? Water conditioner
    Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? I vacuum the substrate

*Parameters - Very Important
    Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes.
    What do you use to test the water? I don’t test it
    What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
    No idea.
    Ammonia:
    Nitrite:
    Nitrate:
    pH:

Feeding
    How often do you feed your fish? Once a day
    How much do you feed your fish? Three granules for each fish or 3 blood worms each
    What brand of food do you feed your fish? BT-G1 for the granules.
    Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? The blood worms are frozen.

Illness & Symptoms
    How long have you had this fish?6 weeks
    How long ago did you first notice these symptoms?10 days ago
    In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Lethargy, some fin rot. Generally not looking very active.
    Have you started any treatment for the illness? I started w Bettafix but after reading some bad reviews, I stopped and started using aquarium salts and API stress coat in a hospital tank changing the water daily.
    Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? Not that I noticed.
    How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?
    I can tell there’s some fin rot and he swims less, lies down at the bottom of the tank more often.
    Explain your emergency situation
    my male Betta was purchased and straight away introduced to an established tank with three minnows. He was more lively than now, and has started showing some signs of fin rot and lethargy. I’m treating him for fin rot now but I don’t know how quick he should show signs of recovery. He looks quite miserable in his hospital tank within the big tank (see pics), and the top part of his caudal fin is folded over. He’s been on aquarium sat treatment for 5 days now.
    Please help! I feel like maybe the minnows started bullying him (never noticed that behaviour coming from the minnows but just in case) as he is very gentle and never flares... I want to give them away before I release the betta back into his tank, but wondering if anything else would help.

Attached Files:

2. Fishitryhard Valued Member Member

This may come as a surprise, but a cure for betta lethargy is placing another male betta next to the tank in a clear container. This should start helping lethargy. As for the fin rot, I recommend kanaplex or paraguard.

3. BlueGrizzle New Member Member

Thank you for your help! I’ll try with a mirror first to try and see if I can get him to engage a bit more. Never heard of those two types of medication but I’ll look into them. :)