Lethargic Betta Has Horizontal Stripes?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by GiannaG, Jan 11, 2019.

?

Is there anything that he could have? He might just be adjusting, but the new stripe worries me

Poll closed Jan 18, 2019.
  1. A disease

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. ??? Just adjusting?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. GiannaGNew MemberMember

Tank
    • What is the water volume of the tank?
    • One gallon
    • Does it have a filter?
    • No
    • Does it have a heater?
    • No
    • What is the water temperature?
    • I’m not really sure, but it was 70 when I checked a while ago.
    • What is the entire stocking of this tank? Just one Betta.
    Maintenance
    • How often do you change the water? Every two weeks.
    • How much of the water do you change? 25%
    • What do you use to treat your water? API Splended Water Betta conditioner.
    • Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? The water.

Parameters
    • Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes.
    • What do you use to test the water? Currently, haven’t.
    • What are your parameters? We need the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
    Ammonia:
    Nitrite:
    Nitrate:
    pH:

I.. wish I could test.

Feeding
    • How often do you feed your fish? About twice a day, two soaked pellets, and on weekends a fast.
    • What brand of food do you feed your fish? Biogold Betta pellets.
    • Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? No.

Illness & Symptoms:
    • How long have you had this fish? Less than a week.
    • How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? Almost immediately.
    • In a few words, (more room for details below) what are the symptoms? He is very, very lethargic. He doesn’t move and stays at the bottom of the tank. I noticed he got excited when I put in a moss ball, but I also noticed a horizontal stripe that was not there the day before.
    • Have you started any treatment for the illness? I have no idea what’s wrong.
    • Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? He was also lethargic, though I didn’t buy him.
    • How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Only the stripe. It’s bright red and slightly difficult to get a photo of. it doesn’t look like a normal stress stripe.

Attached Files:

2. Bubbles_and_FinsWell Known MemberMember

Well, there’s a lot going on here that is most definitely the issue of him being lethargic...

Is this just a temporary tank or will he be moving to a larger one that is heated and filtered shortly?

In case this is his permanent home, Bettas need at least 2.5 gallons (although I think anything smaller than 5-10 is simply just too small. In germany 10 gallons is the legal minimum for bettas, to put it into perspective.). They are also tropical fish and need at least 78-80 F. And they need filters, despite being labyrinth fish, because they need to be in a cycled tank. Do you know about the nitrogen cycle?

There’s a lot more that i’d like to tell you (diet, water changes, etc)but let’s just start with this :)

3. GiannaGNew MemberMember

He will be moving to a larger one when I’m able to make that happen. I have yet to get a filter and heater as well. I added live plants and gravel from my healthy betta’s tank, but other than that, I’m not entirely sure. I accurately use the water conditioner at the very least.

4. Bubbles_and_FinsWell Known MemberMember

I'd love to explain the nitrogen cycle to you if you'd like! Then once you understand that, it will be easier to explain other things that will help him feel better and be more active

5. GiannaGNew MemberMember

Sure! I’ve read up on it a lot but it confuses me a bit every time and I’m always terrified to do something wrong and accidentally harm the fish.

6. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

Basically fish produce waiste (ammonia) bacteria breaks ammonia down into nitrite. Other bacteria break down nitrites into nitrates (less harmful) then nitrates are removed by water changes. There are a few ways to get this. A bubbler in 3 inches of gravel will produce a small cycle (might be enough) best way is with a filter.

7. RepolieWell Known MemberMember

Along with what Bubbles_and_Fins said, cold temperatures could be the cause of his lethargic as bettas are tropical fish from warm climates. The cold temperature can also cause more problems, so you should buy a heater first until you can upgrade him to a larger tank. In that small of a tank ammonia can quickly build up and poison him, until you get a larger tank with the proper set up, you should be doing daily 25% water changes until then. You should also invest in a liquid test kit to make sure the parameters are within safe levels. As for the red stripe I think I know what it is from the best of what I can see from the picture, a lateral line.

8. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

9. GiannaGNew MemberMember

I’ve been doing the daily water changes. I’m about to go get a heater for my bettas and things to test the water.