let me know what you guy think 10 Gallon Tank

1. Chris123 Well Known Member Member

I have a 10 gallon i would like to divide.

Is this okay for stocking

1 male
    Divided
    1 female

Few questions

Will the filter suck through the divider
    or do you need two?

Thanks
    CB

2. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

3. Chris123 Well Known Member Member

yes they will be able to see each other

will that still be ok

4. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

read the link and PM diggly - she thinks her male and female seeing each other killed the female.

5. Borisbbadd Guest

I would think it would be better if they could not see each other.

6. Chris123 Well Known Member Member

okay

Now how do you get somthing to cover the divider so they cant see each other

7. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

I have a divided 10 with a male & female. They do awesome!

8. Chris123 Well Known Member Member

thanks for the advice

would plants work to help them from not seeing ech other

9. Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

Make sure your dividers are tight since females can be sneakier then the boys about getting through (and are also smaller)

10. uprightandlocked Well Known Member Member

Plants would help but would not elimate the issue of them seeing each other. I have three males in a divided 20g Long. Previously, I had two males in a divided 10g. It also depends on the individual fish. None of my boys have had issues with other males in the same water. They never flare at each other or anything.

As for filtration, the filter will move water through the divider. However, I found that the water surface itself doesn't move much on the other side of the divider and can develop a film over it. Due to this, I have a filter in each section of my divided 20g Long. This helps circulate the surface of the water and also the heated water. I have heaters on the two end compartments and not in the center, so the filtration moving the water ensures it circulates through the divider.

11. Chris123 Well Known Member Member

yeah when i set it up all make sure to put the dividers tight :)

12. Diggly Well Known Member Member

You can add craft mesh from an arts and crafts shop (see shawnies stickied thread on dividing a betta tank) which will block the view a bit more if you are worried.

If the female can see the male, if she is ready to breed she will produce eggs but usually they can release them with little to no problems. Unfortunatly my poor baby couldnt and died within 2 days.

Prevention is always better in these cases and I wish I had known this before hand but now i am using it to make sure no one else loses a finned baby in the same way so some good has come of it :).

13. Chris123 Well Known Member Member

thanks for all the advice guys:)

Hopefully i can get in the right start on this tank:cool:

14. critter_fritter79 Well Known Member Member

I have 4 tanks divided "Shawnie style" for all my boys and girls...I love the way the tanks look and they are all healthy and happy!