Let me introduce myself...

Discussion in 'Welcome to FishLore' started by McFly, Jul 30, 2015.

1. McFly

McFly Valued Member Member

I've been poking around a bit, and found some interesting reading, so I joined.

Real name is Marty, 'McFly' is a long time nickname, so I use it on some forums as well.
    I've been running various aquariums for over 30 years when time and 'life' allows. I've set up
    from 10 gallons to 120 gallons, both fresh and salt water, including a 120 gallon reef set up.

I currently have an aging 55 gallon glass tank I reluctantly bought used, but it's my first tank in several
    years, so the price was right... and the glass is lightly etched (clouded) but I'm still enjoying
    the hobby, as I save for a new acrylic 90 gallon and stand. This tank has been running for about
    2-3 years, and until a month ago was a Malawi Cichlid tank. Love the cichlids... active, colorful
    and not too expensive. Unfortunately, we had a new floor installed, and the tank had to come down,
    the fish went back to the store... sigh.

With the floor in, and the baseboard moldings done (ugh) I put the tank back up, and decided to go
    back to my roots.... freshwater community... it's where we all started (at least 99% of us) and I think
    the set up will be entertaining and eye catching when done.

Running a tad over two weeks, this tank is presenting new challenges. To keep water temps down
    (Live in Florida) I'm running an evaporative cooling set up this time, with good results. Water has
    held at 73* with an average room temp of 78*. Evaporating water means fewer actual water changes
    once the 'real' fish go in. LED lighting helps keep things cooler too.

Soooo... that's me, and where I'm at. :;hi2

2. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Hello and welcome to Fish Lore!!!! :;hi1 Nice to have you here and pleasure to meet you! :D I hope you enjoy our little community of fish keepers here! :) I'm BornThisWayBettas, Lady Gaga and betta super fan, but most just call me BTWB! Again, nice to have you here! :)

3. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Hi and welcome to Fishlore, McFly! Love the name... my husband is a huge BTTF fan! Still loves watching the movies whenever they come on TV. :)

I just started the hobby a couple of months ago and am addicted!!

4. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

Welcome to fishlore! :) I also love your name, I'm an 80's kid.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

5. Rivieraneo

Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to the forum McFly! Hope you share some photos of your tanks with us :)

6. LilChicken

LilChicken Valued Member Member

Welcome McFly, I'm new too :) I also hope to see your tank setup and look forward to any wisdom you have to share

Sent from my SM-G900T using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

7. OP
    OP
    McFly

Thanks for the welcome folks. I will get some pics up soon. I''m curing driftwood at the moment, one of the major parts of the tank. Need to soften the water a wee bit, and driftwood usually helps. Once I get all the brown out of it, it can go in, and the plants can follow.

Here's some 'early shots':  

8. Littlebudda

Littlebudda Well Known Member Member

Welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

9. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Nice lookin' tank! :D

10. OP
    OP
    McFly

Still prepping driftwood for the tank, so it's not 'ready' yet per say. Once I get the brown outta the driftwood, it'll go in, and the plants will follow. (Fake plants for now)

Here's a couple of pics of the build, and the evap cooling set up: 

11. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to the forum fellow Floridian. Hope you enjoy the forum. Alison

12. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice