Let Me Google That For You

Is "Let Me Google That For You' rude to answer simple questions?

• Yes

Votes: 13 29.5%
  • No

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • If its a new member yes, regular member no.

Votes: 20 45.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Are LMGTFY links rude? I think they are quite hilarious and have wanted to post them in some threads but was unsure if that would be considered rude.
Here's an example of what I'm talking about

Original Post:
What are the water parameters for guppies?
Response:
https://lmgtfy.com/?q=guppy+water+parameters&l=1

Personally, I chose response 3. If the member is new to fish keeping, I'm fine answering simple questions, but if the member has been around a while or keeping fish a while, I think they can find answers to simple questions like this by searching. The "are you feeling lucky?" option even went to the fishlore fish profile, which all members more than a month or two old know are there.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
That's pretty hilarious. I don't know if it is rude or not, but I will usually mention to someone if the information they requested is readily available on the fish profile on the main FL page. I mean, it's stickied by the mods that people are supposed to try to search for answers.

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
DUH Is that how you look up info. Wow!

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Meenu said:
That's pretty hilarious. I don't know if it is rude or not, but I will usually mention to someone if the information they requested is readily available on the fish profile on the main FL page. I mean, it's stickied by the mods that people are supposed to try to search for answers.
That is exactly the idea I was thinking! Some of this stuff is just too ease to find.

Jayde

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I am a believer that you can find the answer to almost anything using Google. I think that a lot of times the questions that people ask are not questions perse, but a way to talk to other people about a subject that they know everyone who would answer is already interested in. Think of it as a way to strike up a conversation about a common subject with someone that you have just met.

You might offend, but honestly the person who is asking the question already knows how to find the answer.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I've told people to use the search feature and look through the X number of threads of people who've asked the same question. Of course I used the search feature to determine how many threads had been created on the matter before answering I don't remember if it was considdered rude, but there's a thread stickied about using the search. I'm pretty sure telling someone to google something is considdered to be rude, though.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I answered yes, but was thinking it is more 'patronising' than it is rude, particularly on Fishlore.

Remembering that we have members from all over the world and of all ages and experience with 'the internet for computers'.

Simply finding fishlore and being able to ask a question is a real achievement for some. Google can be daunting, and can throw up results that are plain confusing, contradicting etc.

I do encourage searching the forums prior to asking a question though, let's face it, if someone has figured out how to ask a question, they can figure out the search, but you need to know what to search for, which can be an art in itself.

If I know of a great thread that covers everything, I'll direct the member to that article/thread rather than having to repeat all the info.

e.g. if all you know is 'my fish is swimming funny, doing this and that and has funny white spots', it's going to be hard to really search the forums and find 'Ich'

I can already see me parents being baffled by it all, especially if you're not familiar with fish keeping terms etc.

I'm not great at it, but I try to remember that not everyone knows 'what we know', and try and guide the member without be-littling them or patronising them.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Fish Lore does have a SEARCH feature (as JaySee has mentioned) that searches Fish Lore only and not the entire web. Remember that many of our members come here seeking advice from people with first hand knowledge on the issues that they have.

Anyone can Google. If the best information that we can give is to then what is the purpose of us being here? Every now and then there may be a question that no one has an answer for and at this point I think it would be ok to recommend Google or some other search engine.

As a Moderator, and for me to see a member only suggesting to Google with every response they give, I would think the member giving the Google advice is only wanting to boost their post count. This is not good and is not permitted.

To answer your question, yes. I feel it is rude to suggest they Google it as I don't see this as being very helpful. I would only refer another member to a search engine as a last resort.

Ken

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I picked number 3 as well. If someone asks a question and I don't know, but it is something I'm interested in finding out, I'll say to them "I'm not sure, but give me a minute and I'll try to find out for you"

Then I'll come back (Edit the post if noone's been there since) and say "OK, a quick Google search found me this from this site blah blah blah...", and it is only so they know how I found their info, nothing patronising (Sorry if anyone's ever been offended by it though ).

It would not cross some people's minds to Google it, I know I have been guilty in the past of asking a question, hitting Submit, and then going off to Google as I've not even thought about it first of all. Usually first thing in the morning though and not so much anymore!

yallyall1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
number 3.

The reason being is that not everyone knows the terminology to do with fishkeeping. When I was a beginner (just researching about an aquarium first!) I found google hard to understand, so I looked through the archives of FL a lot... using the custom search.

After having found that this forum was a lot friendlier than others, and people were very experienced, I joined! It was a good decision...

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ah, who are we kidding. We all know that we do the research for them and post links.

mosin360

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I try to post links if I can but if there is just so much info then I would suggest a Google search.

I would think a basic reply of like "Use the search." or "Google it." would be rude.

Mylar

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ryanr said:
but you need to know what to search for, which can be an art in itself.

As a person who has no issues whatsoever using google for answers and research on a daily basis, there were still some things about fishkeeping that I either did not know I needed to know about, or knew what I wanted and had no idea what to call it.

Say the only pumps you have worked with are HVAC and mechanical. You buy a used fish tank with a HOB filter that is making noise and you think you know why, but you are not sure how to safely quiet it. Try looking up information on a noisy pump drive spindle on a fish filter. No fair using the word "Impeller".

Edit: voted no by the way... LMGTFY is too funny to be offensive IMO. Usually when I find the fishkeeping term for something that had been eluding me, I end up shaking my head and chuckling at myself for not thinking of it earlier.

Regal

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If you are actually taking the time to google and post links for someone that seems like doing a nice favor for the person. If you tell the person that they could have used the search feature or googled it for themselves then that is rude. What's the point in having a fish forum if all we do is tell someone to go look for the info themselves. Google is probably what brought them here in the first place. And think about how much conflicting info is out there. Sometimes it's easier to talk to someone about your question.

I look at the thread titles and if it's something I can help with then I do. If it's very basic information they are looking for then I have the choice to help or look at a different thread. Way more irritating that basic questions is thread titles that give me no clue as to what the thread is about. Like "aquarium question" or "fish issues" ... really? duh

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It's not rude, it's pointing out that someone is expecting others to do something s/he could do but chose not to. The occasional thread about something that could easily be googled is ok, but if the same person does it over and over again, I get sick of doing their work for them and I throw up the "Google it" sign or say "A quick googling turned up..." because I want to point out that the info is readily available. When I ask a question, I try to make sure I mention the fact that I've already googled it and need further info or clarification of what I've read. Maybe I'm just come from a different era, where you research for yourself.

I really love the posts where someone needs an immediate answer that is readily available through a google or forum search. Like "OMG fish has ICH, how do I treat it????!!!!" type threads. Instead of taking 30 seconds to do a search, someone waits minutes or hours for an answer from someone on a forum. [facepalm]

I miss the bygone era of "If you want to know, go look it up in the dictionary/encyclopedia yourself" was the expected response to a question like "What is ICH?" Now the expected response is, "Let me look it up for you" and indignation if someone suggests doing it yourself.

-Lisa

Mikey Doodle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I do really like the LMGTFY site, and do use it occasionally in situations such as private chat or as a sarcastic responding to friends, but there's a time and a place I don't think Fish Lore is it.

Although I do ask a lot of questions on this particular forum, I do try and search for a lot of stuff before I post. I was previously a member of another forum, and hardly ever got responses which were actually anything to do with my post. I joined Fish Lore to help me find answers to all those burning questions, but they are not all available without asking :

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Kunsthure said:
I get sick of doing their work for them and I throw up the "Google it" sign or say "A quick googling turned up..." because I want to point out that the info is readily available.
That's exactly what I'm talking about... we get annoyed, but do the research for others anyway.

And I'm not talking about a new member who's totally lost on how to fix a tank. I'm talking about the people who say: "I want otos. How big do they get?"

Edit: Okay, I have to add that for me, general search engine versus looking at fish profiles on the main page is different. The profiles are SO readily available. Heck, when you post in a specific fish's subforum, the profile is linked at the top of the page. I don't expect people to google an answer, necessarily - the info on FL is more reliable, and who wants to trust a general search? But I don't think it's too much to point out to someone where they can find the information within FL.

angelfish220

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I've never seen the LMGTFY site, that is SO FUNNY!!!

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
That sight is pretty funny. But personally I think it would be rude to do that to someone.

If a new member asked a question and got a snarky comeback like that it could put them off for good, and their fish might suffer.

And how often does a regular member ask questions that they don't research before hand, or that mere google would be able to answer?

I think that, like stated above, fishlore is not the place for that kind of answer. But it is funny and PMs with people you know who won't be offended it would be seen for what it is, a jest.

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Person A
ryanr said:
e.g. if all you know is 'my fish is swimming funny, doing this and that and has funny white spots', it's going to be hard to really search the forums and find 'Ich'
Person B
Kunsthure said:
I really love the posts where someone needs an immediate answer that is readily available through a google or forum search. Like "OMG fish has ICH, how do I treat it????!!!!" type threads. Instead of taking 30 seconds to do a search, someone waits minutes or hours for an answer from someone on a forum. [facepalm]

-Lisa
This is an excellent example of what I am talking about. I would NEVER tell person A to google it, since they are obviously new to fish keeping and I agree that if you don't know that Ich is the name of the disease your fish has, it will be difficult to search for answers.
Person B on the other hand has already established that their fish has Ich, and obviously knows the name of the disease. A Google OR FishLore search will help them get help for their fish much faster, they are just being too lazy to look it up themselves. This is the kind of situation I think this is ok in. If you expect other people to get you readily available information so you don't have to do it your self, I think its ok for them to have a little fun in their response. You could of course answer the question, then tag a link to let me google that for you at the end. I see this as no different than the Google sign smiley we have.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads