Let Him Swim! My Roman themed tank...

Golden Fish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Here are some pics of my 29 gal. Sorry there are a bunch i am a proud pappa! ;D
The Albino Rainbow shark and the Cat have taken up residence in the Colosseum. The Albino guards it fiercely against the Tiger Barbs. Strangely he gets along great with the catfish (after a brief mis-understanding the catfish let him know how that he WAS in fact going to share the Colosseum).
Some good close ups of the Barbs. Sorry for the "flash" glare.
Enjoy!!!

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Cool pics! Thanks for sharing. We love pictures around here
Carol

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Love your pictures and your fish What camera are you using? I love those cameras that can take professional close-up pictures (especially Nikon).

kerryve

Valued Member
Reaction score
wow, that really is a very nice theme for a fish tank! and youve done it very well! Your fish are so pretty! you have every right to be proud!

Golden Fish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the nice comments everyone.

Isabella said:
Love your pictures and your fish What camera are you using? I love those cameras that can take professional close-up pictures (especially Nikon).
Isabella
Thanks, The camera is a Cannon 20d. I think I had a 55mm lens on it. It is AWESOME!!! The lenes are kind of pricey though. Highly recommended if you are looking for a near perfect camera without taking out a 2nd mortgage (save that for the fish Hehe)!

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I love your tank setup! my sister has a japenese set up. i think yours is cooler though. i love yuor fish too!! they are so cute! Thnx much for sharing, Miley

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
very nice pictures. Nice looking tank too. Natalie

LilaBean

Valued Member
Reaction score
those pics are beautiful!!! Thanks! what an inspiration!! LILA

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Extreemly beautiful pictures. If you want to know how to shrink them a bit though there is a program available to do that that Mike has recommended. It works very well and gives a picture that can be viewed without having to move it from side to side. It is listed in the followin thread...

Hope this helps..I love tanks with an ancient theme. I have one with a Taj Mahal now and it is a favorite of mine. I got a castle for Christmas but it ended up being too large for my tank. I would have returned it but it was broken when I received it and even when I repaired it with aquarium sealant I would never have had room. Maybe someday when I have more room....(dream dream dream :....AWWW)

Thanks so much for sharing the pictures, they are really beautiful.

Rose

Golden Fish

Valued Member
Reaction score
chickadee said:
Extreemly beautiful pictures. If you want to know how to shrink them a bit though there is a program available to do that that Mike has recommended. It works very well and gives a picture that can be viewed without having to move it from side to side. It is listed in the followin thread...

Hope this helps..I love tanks with an ancient theme. I have one with a Taj Mahal now and it is a favorite of mine. I got a castle for Christmas but it ended up being too large for my tank. I would have returned it but it was broken when I received it and even when I repaired it with aquarium sealant I would never have had room. Maybe someday when I have more room....(dream dream dream :....AWWW)

Thanks so much for sharing the pictures, they are really beautiful.

Rose
Thanks chickadee,
I did reduce them (they were 8 mega Pixels!) I did NOT however pay attention to how much they needed to be reduced or how they looked once i posted them. Next pics i post will fit proper. Taj Mahal huh? I never would have thought of that one, i don't have the biggest imagination. All this stuff in my tank is at petsmart. You read about ATMs theme park idea? No thats pretty cool! Thank you agian for compliments.

Golden Fish

Valued Member
Reaction score
LilNeonLover said:
I love your tank setup! my sister has a japenese set up. i think yours is cooler though. i love yuor fish too!! they are so cute! Thnx much for sharing, Miley
nmwierman1977 said:
very nice pictures. Nice looking tank too. Natalie
LilaBean said:
those pics are beautiful!!! Thanks! what an inspiration!! LILA
Thank you everybody! I am glad you like them.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Nice pictures, love the tiger barbs, do you have a full tank shot?

atm

Golden Fish

Valued Member
Reaction score
atmmachine816 said:
Nice pictures, love the tiger barbs, do you have a full tank shot?

atm
Thanks!
Here is a overview of the Tank (29 gal) a month after i got it. My brother gave it to me in pretty bad shape. He had 1 Silver Dollar. 1 Serpae Tetra. 1 Gold Barb. 1 Albino rainbow.
It has those three plus 5 tiger barbs and a Synodontis Ocellifer. I know the problems with having only one of the first three. I am planning to get a large (50 or larger the more i can aford) to put the Silver dollar in with a few more to make a school and the Serpae Tetra with an additinal 5-7 of them also, plus the rainbow shark as he will get to big for 29 gallons.
The gold Barb will stay with the Tiger Barbs and I will add 4 more of them to make a school.
Here is a pic of the Silver Dollar. I have heard they like to eat lettuce. Do you have to boil it first? is there any other good veggies to feed him?

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That almost looks like a pacu. You can try boiling it but try just feeding it to them not boiled first, I don't know if they eat it but it doesn't hurt to try.

atm

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Silver dollars will probably enjoy just about any type of veggie you try in the tank. I'll be a slice of zucchini would be a big hit in your tank. You could also always float some anacharis in your tank for him to nip at. I've never owned one, but I have read they have a voracious appetite for anything green!

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I GOTTA GET MYSELF A NICE NIKON OR CANNON CAMERA !!! I'd love to take closeup pictures of my fishies A good camera makes such a huge difference when taking pictures of aquatic life, especially the small fishes.

Golden Fish said:
Isabella
Thanks, The camera is a Cannon 20d. I think I had a 55mm lens on it. It is AWESOME!!! The lenes are kind of pricey though. Highly recommended if you are looking for a near perfect camera without taking out a 2nd mortgage (save that for the fish Hehe)!
I'm sure your camera is great ... but the thing is I absolutely have no idea how to use those professional cameras, nor what "d" or "mm" dimensions mean in the usage of such cameras. Could you briefly explain to me the major differences between a regular digital camera and the professional one like Cannon or Nikon? Thanks a bunch (And what determines which professional camera is better than another professional camera? I'm aware of price differences but not of the technical aspects of the camera design and quality.)

Golden Fish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Isabella,
Easy enough... .
The D in 20d means its Digital. MM is millimeter. Like to measure film or in this case the lens. 55mm is very basically the zoom level. The bigger the number the further you can see. The lens size can be very small to huge (like the Hubble telescope!). Most common on cameras is 10mm to 1200mm. (some of my "close up" pics where taken with me 12 feet away sitting in the couch!) The differences between the lower end and higher end depend on the functions and settings. While most Digital cameras in the $200-$700 range have settings for all the important stuff, the big guys $700 and up have a broader range of settings. (meaning you can do a lot more with them and still have great looking pics.) The bigger ones also allow for interchangeable lenses. Sony and Canon both make a camera that falls under $1000 and allows the use of differrent size lens. There are probably more but those are the 2 i know about. The Canon is called the Rebel and it will take all the lenses mine does for almost half the price. Why do you need different lenses? Well you have seen cameras that are 5 times zoom and 8 times digital zoom? That means the lens will physically zoom 5 times and then the remaining 3 is digitally enhanced, most of the time the image quality is poor once you go into digital zoom. Some cameras only have digital zoom. If have have a 50mm lens and a 400mm lens the quality is the same on both because they were designed for that range.
The difference in mine and the Rebel is picture size and speed. Also things like if they are weather proof and how fast the can shoot, how fast they zoom, you can add external flash bulbs to the bigger ones and range of settings. You can take great pictures with any of them just your limited on what you can take pictures of. Like if you wanted to shoot wildlife or sports you would really need a fast camera. where as if you wanted one to take great quality portraits or family events or just around the house you really would not need a super fast camera.

The cameras are alot like the fish equipment. You just have to read alot to understand what questions you have. I will say this, I doubt very much that you would be disappointed with the Rebel or the 20D. By the way neither the Rebel or mine the 20d are classified as "professional" cameras by Canon.

try looking up digital photography also. You can also learn about the different settings and what they do there. That is where I learned alot about how they work and what they do and what i wanted. You can also search for Canon 20d or Rebel to find out whats special about them.
Some other important stuff is: ISO speed. Shutter Speed, Apeture Speed. These are some basics.
Hope I did not confuse you more. If you have any more questions just ask!

kerryve

Valued Member
Reaction score
Mose canon cameras are very good - Ive got a finePix S20pro by fujifilm. its very good too it cos about R7000 here about $1000 there. its a 6mega pixel and a 12 megapixel on raw. that means one picture fills a whole memory card quite unpractical really unless you're doing macrophotography - Isabella thats when you take very close photography, like closer that one centimeter and expand it. thats when you're pixels really count like when they take it and then blow it up to bill board size!

Golden Fish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Kerryve
You can't get a bigger memory card? I have a 4gb and it will hold approx 700 pics shot on Raw 8 megapixel.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Golden Fish ... THANK YOU for all of the info! I will try to find the time to read about the cameras, and learn about them as much as I can, as I don't want to be buying something I have no idea about. And these cameras are not cheap either, lol. I don't want to be lied to by some tricky seller who only wants the money! (They always do that.)

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom