Let’s Talk Photography!

lisa99

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I’d like to be within 3 inches or so of my subject and have the photo clear.

fish 321

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
lisa99 said:
I’d like to be within 3 inches or so of my subject and have the photo clear.
Hmm... taking pictures of fish is hard especially with a phone as you can't change the shutter speed. Macro shots in my experience need the subject still so it might be challenging to get a clear shot. Mabey someone else will have some ideas

Pescado_Verde

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My experience was that the limitations of the phone's camera frustrated me to the point that I ended up buying a DSLR. Good shots can be had with a phone but I wanted a dedicated camera where I have more control.

Pescado_Verde

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So I was at a horse show this weekend and snapped this photo of a rider who had lost their horse. Not sure how that happened, I missed that part, but this image reminded me immediately of an Andrew Wyeth painting.

DSC_0931_00001.jpg
Christinasworld.jpg

fish 321

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Here are some more the bottom one is a baby seal.
PSX_20190908_193839.jpg
PSX_20190907_211534.jpg

Magicpenny75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
lisa99 said:
The issue I have with my iPhone is when I try to zoom in really close the camera won’t focus. Suggestions?
On the iphone you have a setting that looks like a little flower...that's your macro setting. You can get really close with that, but it's hard with moving targets like fish. In my shrimp photo, above, I took a full frame at high resolution and then just cropped the picture. With the digital zoom on an iphone (at least the older ones that didn't have an optical zoom at all) you'll almost always get a better shot that way. It also gives you better control of your composition than trying to hold the phone ultra still and keep it right where you want it.

Pescado_Verde

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
A neighbor and I went to the zoo today and she let me use her as a model. I can't decide if I like the composition of this or not. Seems a bit too evenly divided between the left and right sides of the image but what do I know?

DSC_1799_00001.jpg

Elkwatcher

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Pescado_Verde said:
A neighbor and I went to the zoo today and she let me use her as a model. I can't decide if I like the composition of this or not. Seems a bit too evenly divided between the left and right sides of the image but what do I know?

I'm not sure what you mean by too evenly divided Pescado_Verde? There is more negative space on the right than the left, and I think you followed your rule of thirds. Your model is lovely and photogenic! I would be concerned about the blown highlights on her shoulder and in the background as they could draw the eye away. Is it ok to post an edit? You don't have to agree.:)

Pescado_Verde

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Absolutely okay!

Elkwatcher

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Pescado_Verde said:
Absolutely okay!
I very much like the out of focus people in the back ground because they tell a story and give the image life. I tried to tone down the highlights and that only resulted in the background becoming pixelated in the bright places. The blownout areas could be cloned but there isn't a lot of available cloning material to make it look natural. I am always blowing highlights and trying to take more care using the histograms and getting it right in camera. It's still a fantastic compostion! You should try shooting the model again in a different scenario. ;)

Pescado_Verde

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It was a bright, bright day here yesterday. I took a couple of other shots of my model with mixed results. It was just a tough day with the lighting. Even just finding a place in good shade was tough. Being winter many of the trees have dropped their leaves so sunlight was falling everywhere.

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hello all, just a rookie here. Read through the thread, some nice photos. Thought it might need some fish photos. Here are a couple I got last night. Nikon D60 with a AF-S 35mm f/1.8G with flash. Everything on auto, converted to jpg using the Paint program.
I told you I am a rookie.

Blue Diamond Discus
Blue Diamond Discus Pair.jpg

Ram Hybrid
Ram Hybrid.jpg

fish 321

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Canada
PSX_20191215_065454.jpg

Elkwatcher

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Pescado_Verde said:
It was a bright, bright day here yesterday. I took a couple of other shots of my model with mixed results. It was just a tough day with the lighting. Even just finding a place in good shade was tough. Being winter many of the trees have dropped their leaves so sunlight was falling everywhere.
Outside of photography you have got to love that sunshine though... haven't seen any for a week!

Pescado_Verde

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Elkwatcher said:
Outside of photography you have got to love that sunshine though... haven't seen any for a week!
You know it! Foggy here all morning but should burn off soon and then highs pushing up near 80 this afternoon. Then back to freezing in the mornings for most of this week.

ETA: Yesterday was sort of a weird scene at the zoo. They had Santa make an appearance in the afternoon and I think there must have been some sort of photography club there too. I saw at least a half dozen guys toting Canon gear around, most with huge lenses like you might use for birding. I think maybe I've seen one other person there for photography in all the times I've been. Hope they got some good pictures.

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I see there has been another forum change.

Photography is my life's passion with nature and macro being my main interest .

Got my first camera at 8 years old. I will be 63 next month.

I can't seem to post full photos without the thumbnail.

No fish photos here. I have posted many, many fish shots here over the years...It is a fish forum after all :)

Attachments

Elkwatcher

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thunder_o_b said:
I see there has been another forum change.

Photography is my life's passion with nature and macro being my main interest .

Got my first camera at 8 years old. I will be 63 next month.

I can't seem to post full photos without the thumbnail.

No fish photos here. I have posted many, many fish shots here over the years...It is a fish forum after all :)
Beautiful! Thunder_o_b You have a wonderful macro set up that I would sell all my fish for! :D I have experienced the thumbnail issue as well Mike.

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Elkwatcher said:
Beautiful! Thunder_o_b You have a wonderful macro set up that I would sell all my fish for! :D I have experienced the thumbnail issue as well Mike.
Thank you Elkwatcher :)

Pescado_Verde

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Broke down and bought myself a used Lowepro sling bag and a used Manfrotto monopod this past week. Yay Christmas! Still looking at lens options in the f2.8 70-200mm zoom lens market. Leaning heavily towards the old Nikon 80-200 which can be bought new still for around $1,200.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom