Let’s Talk Photography!

toeknee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
We got our first snow last week. Here's a few pics from around here when it was coming down pretty hard. Taken with Nikon D7200, 70-200mm lens. Each pic is at least 3 pics stitched together. The only way I could get the file size small enough to upload here was to first upload to facebook then save pic from there to my computer so these copies lost a good deal of quality and sharpness compared to the original save files.

Elkwatcher

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In order to get more practice in composition I’ve been using my pitifully outdated iPhone to snap pics at work. I absolutely hate people that build fences around utility poles :). These colts pretended to help till I found out they were the culprits of the chewed up wire. View attachment 627773View attachment 627774
@SaltyPhone I love a good horseface! I try to use the rule of thirds and never put anything in the middle, it works for me. Also different POV's can make for interesting compositon, shooting under, over, getting down on the floor level with your subject... I think I'll give that one up soon!

@toeknee Wonderful photo's especially the panoramic, did you piece it together? The bottom photo has a historic feel, is it an old area or are developers building like this now!

SaltyPhone

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
We got our first snow last week. Here's a few pics from around here when it was coming down pretty hard. Taken with Nikon D7200, 70-200mm lens. Each pic is at least 3 pics stitched together. The only way I could get the file size small enough to upload here was to first upload to facebook then save pic from there to my computer so these copies lost a good deal of quality and sharpness compared to the original save files. View attachment 627791View attachment 627792View attachment 627793
@toeknee Im a sucker for historical architecture and adore the street shot! @Elkwatcher I’ve been doing some experiments with point of view and variations of static subjects. As soon as I can shoot and edit those I’ll certainly share. Till then here is Leo the uncooperative betta.
Edit: gotta throw a pleco shot in too!

Elkwatcher

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

toeknee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Woke up to clear sky's this morning after several days of snow. Decided to go for a stroll with the camera. (Nikon D7200) First pic is with the 18-55mm kit lens. Second 3 are with the 70-200mm. I've been trying to work on my telephoto lens photography, trying to find smaller scenes within the big scenes.
DSC_0177.jpg
DSC_0203.jpg
DSC_0221-2-2.jpg
DSC_0235.jpg

Pescado_Verde

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I like the 2nd one with the tree in the foreground. I'd probably do some cropping but that's just me. Very nice! :)

Pescado_Verde

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Women's Pro Rodeo National Finals are in town. I spent an hour or so this evening shooting with my 85mm f1.8 and a friends old Nikon 180mm f2.8. I really like the 180mm lens but being that it's a fixed lens it takes learning some trigger discipline. Too easy to take shots that don't fill the frame but with horses going a bazillion miles an hour it's tricky. Plus it's indoors and so the high ISO comes into play and seems to be much more noticeable the further away the subject is. Pretty sure the ISO on this shot was 5000. So these are pretty tight shots taken as the rider was approaching me. Also pretty hard to get a really tack sharp focus on something like that. I've still got a LOT of shots to look thru and I think towards the end I had some better stuff. At least I'm hoping I got better as it went. :)

Anyway, here's a cowgirl trying to earn some money the hard way!

If I end up with a bunch of keepers I'll start a thread and link to it here.

DSC_5856_00001.jpg

Elkwatcher

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Can you set the focus points to cover a broader range or use tracking in the menu? That's not bad at all for a higher ISO! The tack is gorgeous.

Pescado_Verde

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Can you set the focus points to cover a broader range or use tracking in the menu? That's not bad at all for a higher ISO! The tack is gorgeous.
I'll look into using more focus points. I was shooting with what Nikon calls their "Group AF". I've got a book on just the Nikon AF systems, it's about 350 pages in length, lol. If there's an answer I'm pretty sure it's in there I'll just need to do some reading. Ugh. :(

But I do think, just going on memory here, that group focus points will tend to "grab" the closest point of the subject and lock onto that. So likely the horses nose will be tack sharp (no pun intended) and the rider slightly out of focus. But I'll check that out. Very possible too that it's just the age of the lens, it's a screw drive and doesn't have internal focusing motors. It relies on the camera.

Oh, and "Team Calgary", the Canadian team, won their competition!

Elkwatcher

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'll look into using more focus points. I was shooting with what Nikon calls their "Group AF". I've got a book on just the Nikon AF systems, it's about 350 pages in length, lol. If there's an answer I'm pretty sure it's in there I'll just need to do some reading. Ugh. :(

But I do think, just going on memory here, that group focus points will tend to "grab" the closest point of the subject and lock onto that. So likely the horses nose will be tack sharp (no pun intended) and the rider slightly out of focus. But I'll check that out. Very possible too that it's just the age of the lens, it's a screw drive and doesn't have internal focusing motors. It relies on the camera.

Oh, and "Team Calgary", the Canadian team, won their competition!
Way to go Canucks! :p:p:p

Pescado_Verde

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
One more pic. The rest are pretty derivative. I don't know if I'll ever be able to get the type of shots that I want in this arena with the gear I have. I see professional photographers at these events but don't really know what gear they're using or what their finished products actually look like. I'm finding it hard to believe that they're getting considerably better shots. I mean, I'm using an f1.8 lens for some of this stuff and still struggle to find a sweet spot that will freeze the action and also capture enough light for a good exposure without using high ISO. I did meet one guy some months back and he's scheduled to be here in town for a couple of shows in late November/early December. You can bet I'll be picking his brain. One thing I have not tried is using a strobe/flash. Just seems like it might be frowned upon by the horse people.

DSC_6165_00001.jpg

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom