Let’s Talk Photography!

Pescado_Verde

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
French Mime Horse.

DSC_3416_00001.jpg

I actually was just about to ask the same question. I actually like the granyness of high ISO films.
I took a bunch of shots today using 4000 ISO. They're okay I think. I find that if it's a subject that's far enough away and fine detail isn't terribly important then it can work. Trying to crop those shots down to isolate a face or something, no it won't work. For some I used a friends 180mm lens and was surprised by how well it could do. This is after some cropping also. It's not going to work for portraits obviously, lol.

DSC_3426_00001.jpg

SaltyPhone

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The kids had a marching band comp this weekend. I managed to get quite a few good pics despite the broad changes in lighting due to a storm rolling in then out; in then out again. Here are two pics of the local college Western Carolina's drum line I was experimenting with shutter speed to see if motion blur helped or detracted from the sense of action. both pics are taken with a kit 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 maybe?

Attachments

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The kids had a marching band comp this weekend. I managed to get quite a few good pics despite the broad changes in lighting due to a storm rolling in then out; in then out again. Here are two pics of the local college Western Carolina's drum line I was experimenting with shutter speed to see if motion blur helped or detracted from the sense of action. both pics are taken with a kit 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 maybe?
Nice shots!!

SaltyPhone

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Took the Blue Ridge Parkway home and got these shots with the 50mm f1.8 .
DSC_0706.jpg
DSC_0710.jpg
DSC_0718.jpg
DSC_0725.jpg

Pescado_Verde

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The art festival yesterday was rough. It was an absolutely fabulous day weather-wise but it was also full sun and cloudless skies. I was either shooting from the sun into the shade or from the shade into the sun and it was just brutal. None of the art really spoke to me so no pics there. The stage for music was half in sunlight, half in shadow. Oh well, now I've gone from shooting indoors in poor lighting to outdoors in tough lighting.

Some yahoo playing stick guitar. It's like air guitar, but with a stick.

DSC_4288_00001.jpg

Somebody got their face painted, or something.

DSC_4212_00001.jpg

Here mom, you're going to need some water to wash that corndog down.

DSC_4229_00001.jpg

SaltyPhone

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
798001D0-29EB-4715-B8F9-18AFE090E135.jpeg
Those are some great shots at the art festival. I got so sucked into the child offering her mom some water. Great job with that one. It’s fast becoming a slower time at work for me so hopefully I’ll be able to get out more. Of course this time of year means not much is going on. Catch22 lol so I’ll be stuck still taking pics around the house. Here is one I took with the phone playing around with composition.

Pescado_Verde

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Turn the camera at a slight angle. J/K, I know nothing of composition. I think @Elkwatcher would probably be better with that topic than I would.

Your picture makes me miss the woods of NC. Friend of mine just moved out there from Texas a month or so ago and is enjoying the back roads a bit. He's been to Snow Camp and Mt Ayr among some other places.

SaltyPhone

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
9952B10E-9DA2-4F61-B309-99DF8948B529.jpeg
1F96710B-458F-4AF5-B13E-BFBE6948F31C.jpeg
Like this one? Lol I didn’t like the composition as much. You mean Mayberry? Mount Airy is up near the VA border it’s very beautiful up there.

Elkwatcher

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
@Pescado_Verde I love candid but I always feel so self conscious doing them especially children. What are your thoughts on taking pics of people you don't know. I always ask permission to use and show the image to anyone in it. Some people will decline and I delete the photo in front of them. Many are quite happy and I'm willing to share the image with them as I'm not shooting for business only pleasure. Your exposures are great considering the weather!

Of course there are times when you can't ask permission such as this image I shot out of the back window of our truck while my husband was driving. He actually mean't for me to shoot the photo through the side view mirror. After taken I was rather nervous as the biker's made no attempt to pass us for the whole drive... and I though maybe I shouldn't have. ;)

Bikers.jpg

Pescado_Verde

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
View attachment 626432 View attachment 626431 Like this one? Lol I didn’t like the composition as much. You mean Mayberry? Mount Airy is up near the VA border it’s very beautiful up there.
He said Mt Ayr. but meant Ayr Mount. I've been thru Mt Airy once, pretty little town. Driving thru on our way to visit the then wife's family in Indiana.

I like the new pictures much better. And nice cat!

Pescado_Verde

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
@Pescado_Verde I love candid but I always feel so self conscious doing them especially children. What are your thoughts on taking pics of people you don't know. I always ask permission to use and show the image to anyone in it. Some people will decline and I delete the photo in front of them. Many are quite happy and I'm willing to share the image with them as I'm not shooting for business only pleasure. Your exposures are great considering the weather!

Of course there are times when you can't ask permission such as this image I shot out of the back window of our truck while my husband was driving. He actually mean't for me to shoot the photo through the side view mirror. After taken I was rather nervous as the biker's made no attempt to pass us for the whole drive... and I though maybe I shouldn't have. ;)

View attachment 626438
Lol, weird things happening with the posts/edits looks like. Anyway, to your question about taking candids, I have no qualms at all. People are out in public and have no expectation of privacy there. There's cameras EVERYWHERE now, in every store etc... People engaged in activities are interesting to me whether it's folks riding horses, or playing frisbee, or just walking the dog. All the same in my opinion. The camera is just capturing the things we already see with our eyes anyway.

Pescado_Verde

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Here's a few more from Sunday that weren't terrible with the contrast.

This is part of a sculpture installation at the river. The town was a crossing point on the Chisholm Trail back in the days of cattle drives, they'd actually drive the herds across the suspension bridge once it was built. Anyway, there's an entire small herd of bronze longhorn cattle (15-20) and a couple of drovers. This is just one of the cowboys silhouetted against the sky.

DSC_3737_00001.jpg

One of the hip-hop artists doing his thing.

DSC_3822_00001.jpg

When this guy walked off, the couple were left to bake in the sun.

DSC_3835_00001.jpg

Random food trailer.

DSC_4020_00001.jpg

Kinda looked like Maya Rudolph.

DSC_4296_00001.jpg

Pescado_Verde

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I've been thinking about getting a 70-200mm zoom for a while now but the prices for the newer models are just really out there. I think I may instead get an older 80-200. The newer body D7500 that I bought has an internal focusing motor which means that it will work with the older Nikon lenses, which are considerably cheaper. They still make the 80-200 that they started making back in the 70's or 80's and it's new at Wal-Mart for $1,000. That's a good bit of coin for a lens but the 70-200 VR II runs nearly 3K new. Yeah. No hurry on getting it but I'm going to look at those, ask around etc... Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Elkwatcher

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've been thinking about getting a 70-200mm zoom for a while now but the prices for the newer models are just really out there. I think I may instead get an older 80-200. The newer body D7500 that I bought has an internal focusing motor which means that it will work with the older Nikon lenses, which are considerably cheaper. They still make the 80-200 that they started making back in the 70's or 80's and it's new at Wal-Mart for $1,000. That's a good bit of coin for a lens but the 70-200 VR II runs nearly 3K new. Yeah. No hurry on getting it but I'm going to look at those, ask around etc... Anyone have any thoughts on that?
I'm odd woman out as I don't use the Nikon system, my 70-200mm is first generation, the new ones are far more expensive.. if it weren't for it's weight it would easily stay on my camera for everything! I paid over a $1000 for mine used from a pro photographer so I knew it was looked after, and I've never regretted it.

Pescado_Verde

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Most first party mfgr's lenses seem to be pretty danged good. There's some poorly executed examples out there but they're pretty well documented so can be avoided. This Nikon lens has had 4 iterations over the years and reviews are mixed, just seems to depend on who you're hearing it from. I've read that they may actually discontinue making the lens soon though so I'm kinda thinking I might ought to go ahead and get one now.
Buying used would be great if I could do like you did and buy from someone I trusted but I don't have that option unfortunately. The lens is an old design and time tested but it does weight a good bit more than the newer ones but I'm not taking it backpacking so not too worried about that and I don't know that I would need the VR the newer ones have. I find myself taking pictures in poor lighting but it's moving subjects so kinda pointless to add that expense if it doesn't help me.

Pescado_Verde

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Started looking at the schedule of events coming up here and the WPRA (Women's Pro Rodeo) in a couple of weeks is going to be held, in part, in the actual coliseum where the lighting is much better. I think I've learned a good bit since the last time I shot in there plus I have a couple of faster lenses now so I'm hoping I'll get some decent shots. Unfortunately they're having the team roping in the lousy lighting arena and the barrel racing in the nicer lighting. I wish it were the other way around as I prefer the team roping as a photo op.

SaltyPhone

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
In order to get more practice in composition I’ve been using my pitifully outdated iPhone to snap pics at work. I absolutely hate people that build fences around utility poles :). These colts pretended to help till I found out they were the culprits of the chewed up wire.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom