Let’s Talk Photography!

Pescado_Verde

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I spent a few hours over at the horse barns today. They're having barrel races all weekend and thru Monday but today they had what are called "exhibitions". Basically a rider pays $5 to take their horse out and go around the arena. It gives the horse a chance to get acquainted with the arena. Some folks just kinda ride around real slow, might go around a barrel 2 or 3 times and others are going like it's the real thing. Some people will buy 4 or 5 go 'rounds, I guess with horses that are new to the sport they have to acclimate them somehow. So I got a lot of pictures of people going pretty slow and not dressed up in their cowpoke attire. But the new camera tracks and focuses much, much better. Very happy with the purchase.

DSC_0341_00001.jpg

SaltyPhone

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I spent a few hours over at the horse barns today. They're having barrel races all weekend and thru Monday but today they had what are called "exhibitions". Basically a rider pays $5 to take their horse out and go around the arena. It gives the horse a chance to get acquainted with the arena. Some folks just kinda ride around real slow, might go around a barrel 2 or 3 times and others are going like it's the real thing. Some people will buy 4 or 5 go 'rounds, I guess with horses that are new to the sport they have to acclimate them somehow. So I got a lot of pictures of people going pretty slow and not dressed up in their cowpoke attire. But the new camera tracks and focuses much, much better. Very happy with the purchase.

View attachment 584389
You cut the horses head off lol I hope I don’t find it in my bed tomorrow morning! Great pic of the jockey though!

This is Squeaker he is a jerk despite his adorable outward appearance!
DSC_0270.jpg

Pescado_Verde

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You cut the horses head off lol I hope I don’t find it in my bed tomorrow morning! Great pic of the jockey though!
The horses by and large are a bit uninteresting, imo. Most are some shade of brown which blends into the brown dirt used in the arena and nothing about them really "pops". There was a paint horse there yesterday that probably would have made for some good shots but unfortunately I was playing spectator at the time and not photographer.

My photographer friend came into town yesterday to go shoot the Baylor football game and we met at a nearby Barnes & Nobles for a brief visit. He loaned me a lens of his, a very old yet very nice Nikon 180mm f2.8 AF lens. I brought the lens home and eventually stuck it on the camera and took it out in the yard and WOW, it's one very nice piece of glass. I plan to go over to the horse barns again today and give it a go. Nikon may still be making this lens however nothing about it has been updated so it's not compatible with all of their cameras because of its age. One of the reasons I went ahead and bought this new D7500 is because it will work with just about any lens they've made over the last 40 or so years.

If I can get it to work in the relatively low light in the horse show arena then I may just go buy one of my own. I've found them used in very nice condition for less than $500 which compared to some of the others I've looked at in comparable focal lengths would be a great buy. I'm hoping that its f2.8 aperture will be fast enough. Wish me luck!

I'm still culling thru the shots I got on Friday but here's one to tide us over until I get a chance to process the whole lot. I'll probably start a thread in the horse sub-forum at that point and do a full dump.

I liked this one because the rider from the waist up looks as though she could be on a street corner waiting and watching as her bus approaches, so very casual and calm. And then we notice that there's a 1,000 pounds of horse flesh under her navigating around an obstacle course.

DSC_0461_00001.jpg

Magicpenny75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The horses by and large are a bit uninteresting, imo. Most are some shade of brown which blends into the brown dirt used in the arena and nothing about them really "pops". There was a paint horse there yesterday that probably would have made for some good shots but unfortunately I was playing spectator at the time and not photographer.

My photographer friend came into town yesterday to go shoot the Baylor football game and we met at a nearby Barnes & Nobles for a brief visit. He loaned me a lens of his, a very old yet very nice Nikon 180mm f2.8 AF lens. I brought the lens home and eventually stuck it on the camera and took it out in the yard and WOW, it's one very nice piece of glass. I plan to go over to the horse barns again today and give it a go. Nikon may still be making this lens however nothing about it has been updated so it's not compatible with all of their cameras because of its age. One of the reasons I went ahead and bought this new D7500 is because it will work with just about any lens they've made over the last 40 or so years.

If I can get it to work in the relatively low light in the horse show arena then I may just go buy one of my own. I've found them used in very nice condition for less than $500 which compared to some of the others I've looked at in comparable focal lengths would be a great buy. I'm hoping that its f2.8 aperture will be fast enough. Wish me luck!

I'm still culling thru the shots I got on Friday but here's one to tide us over until I get a chance to process the whole lot. I'll probably start a thread in the horse sub-forum at that point and do a full dump.

I liked this one because the rider from the waist up looks as though she could be on a street corner waiting and watching as her bus approaches, so very casual and calm. And then we notice that there's a 1,000 pounds of horse flesh under her navigating around an obstacle course.

View attachment 584630
She's got her eye on the next target, just like she's supposed to Probably how she got that shiny buckle!
Love this shot.

Pescado_Verde

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I've been trying to learn the post processing game and I gotta say, it's a bit of a pain. I bought a copy of Photoshop Elements and installed it and finally got around to opening it to try and use it and find out that the user interface is goofy in that the font for the menus isn't scaleable meaning it's super tiny and impossible to read if you have the resolution on your computer set to anything above 1024x950 or so. Stupidly irritating. Googlez tells me this is a known issue and has been for years and Adobe has no plans to fix it. I guess people are using it on their devices that don't have the high res of a desktop monitor otherwise I don't know who could be or how.

So I've gone back to trying to make the free Nikon software do what I need and I'm making progress. I've spent a good bit of time trying to find info on the web and had some success. A good bit of it is related to other products that Nik has had over the years but some is useful still with this Nikon labelled product.

One of the biggest problems I've found with regards to shooting at the horse barns has been the poor lighting. It seems like you have to choose between either shooting at such a slow shutter speed that you get motion blur or use an ISO that is so high that the image is really dirty. I'm finding that the new camera I bought has much cleaner ISO than the D3500 that I started the hobby with and I can to some extent salvage photos that appear to be drastically underexposed. Here's a shot from earlier today, one is the file as it came out of the camera and the other is after some massaging.

DSC_2055_00001_01.jpg

DSC_2055_00001.jpg

Notice that the facial features aren't sharp. This is because the face is shaded by the hat brim and I don't know if there's any way to recover that level of detail. I'll keep messing with both the camera and the software and maybe I'll get there eventually. I was really hoping that I'd be able to use the PSE for details like the eyes in the photos above. I might still but it's going to be a pain I'm sure.

Cowgirl glam shots, $9.95!

DSC_2687_00001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Pescado_Verde

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
A lot of horse people are dog people too so seeing them at the shows in not uncommon. There are signs on the doors to the arena saying "No Pets" but nobody pays any attention to them.

DSC_2555_00001.jpg

DSC_2546_00001_01.jpg

DSC_2554_00001.jpg

Pescado_Verde

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Today I was using just the 180mm lens that my buddy loaned me. I'm not sure if it is due to camera shake or what but it seems like it focuses pretty well up closer but when objects get further away they start to blur some. Could just be the slow shutter speeds I'm using indoors. I need to look thru all of my shots from today and try to figure it out. This creeper shot was taken from about 15' away. It's not tack sharp but I've been using the lens wide open because I'm shooting indoors and I think if I had been using a smaller aperture it might be sharper.

DSC_2740_00001.jpg

Pescado_Verde

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Some shots from barrel racing last weekend.

DSC_0849_00001.jpg

DSC_0854_00001.jpg

DSC_0924_00001.jpg

DSC_1010_00001.jpg
DSC_1084_00001.jpg

DSC_1128_00001.jpg

DSC_1176_00001.jpg

Few more from the same show.

It's like having a horse running thru your living room.

DSC_1228_00001.jpg

DSC_1528_00001.jpg

DSC_1539_00001.jpg

DSC_1564_00001.jpg
DSC_1699_00001.jpg
DSC_1563_00001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Elkwatcher

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've been trying to learn the post processing game and I gotta say, it's a bit of a pain. I bought a copy of Photoshop Elements and installed it and finally got around to opening it to try and use it and find out that the user interface is goofy in that the font for the menus isn't scaleable meaning it's super tiny and impossible to read if you have the resolution on your computer set to anything above 1024x950 or so. Stupidly irritating. Googlez tells me this is a known issue and has been for years and Adobe has no plans to fix it. I guess people are using it on their devices that don't have the high res of a desktop monitor otherwise I don't know who could be or how.

So I've gone back to trying to make the free Nikon software do what I need and I'm making progress. I've spent a good bit of time trying to find info on the web and had some success. A good bit of it is related to other products that Nik has had over the years but some is useful still with this Nikon labelled product.

One of the biggest problems I've found with regards to shooting at the horse barns has been the poor lighting. It seems like you have to choose between either shooting at such a slow shutter speed that you get motion blur or use an ISO that is so high that the image is really dirty. I'm finding that the new camera I bought has much cleaner ISO than the D3500 that I started the hobby with and I can to some extent salvage photos that appear to be drastically underexposed. Here's a shot from earlier today, one is the file as it came out of the camera and the other is after some massaging.

View attachment 585926

View attachment 585927

Notice that the facial features aren't sharp. This is because the face is shaded by the hat brim and I don't know if there's any way to recover that level of detail. I'll keep messing with both the camera and the software and maybe I'll get there eventually. I was really hoping that I'd be able to use the PSE for details like the eyes in the photos above. I might still but it's going to be a pain I'm sure.
May I ask what ISO you are shooting with? I'm trying to find the sweet spot with mine... Canon states one can use ISO's as high as 1600 and not have any grain... I guess that depends on circumstances. My tank photo's rely on the LED's for light and shooting at 650 ISO is noisy.

Pescado_Verde

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
May I ask what ISO you are shooting with? I'm trying to find the sweet spot with mine... Canon states one can use ISO's as high as 1600 and not have any grain... I guess that depends on circumstances. My tank photo's rely on the LED's for light and shooting at 650 ISO is noisy.
1600 is about where I start to notice grain also. 2000-2500 maybe can get away with if it's a good shot that fills the frame and doesn't need to be cropped. 3200 and up, same, some shots it will work with but most, not really.

Elkwatcher

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Today I was using just the 180mm lens that my buddy loaned me. I'm not sure if it is due to camera shake or what but it seems like it focuses pretty well up closer but when objects get further away they start to blur some. Could just be the slow shutter speeds I'm using indoors. I need to look thru all of my shots from today and try to figure it out. This creeper shot was taken from about 15' away. It's not tack sharp but I've been using the lens wide open because I'm shooting indoors and I think if I had been using a smaller aperture it might be sharper.

View attachment 586340
I like this cameo, the soft focus suits it, and the Border Collie is Wow!

Pescado_Verde

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I like this cameo, the soft focus suits it, and the Border Collie is Wow!
I think that dog is an Australian Shepherd. I posted that picture on FB and a friend said that is what it is, that he used to have some that owned him for years and that he misses those dogs.

Baylor has a volleyball game tonight and another on Saturday afternoon against Tennessee. I may go try the Saturday game, tickets are just $1. There's also a soccer match this evening but with work it just becomes a major hurry to try to get to anything on a work day. If I do the volleyball thing then I may try the white balance trick with a sheet of white paper to try and get the color cast from the lighting fixed. The horse barns have the same issue, I've just been more interested in getting my exposures right in there but I think it's time to start looking at the color too.

Jerome O'Neil

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I actually was just about to ask the same question. I actually like the granyness of high ISO films.

Pescado_Verde

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I've started messing with the post processing software some and decided I'd try to remove the leash and the guys leg and foot from the dog picture. Here's what I ended up with. It's far from perfect but after doing it I can see what would need to b e done to get it much better, I'm just not going to invest the time to do that on this particular picture. But good to know how if I ever should want to do that!

DSC_0924_00001_02 copy.jpg

SaltyPhone

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Tank Tested YouTube channel has some pretty cool content on shooting fish tanks.
I've started messing with the post processing software some and decided I'd try to remove the leash and the guys leg and foot from the dog picture. Here's what I ended up with. It's far from perfect but after doing it I can see what would need to b e done to get it much better, I'm just not going to invest the time to do that on this particular picture. But good to know how if I ever should want to do that!

View attachment 587881
Fun stuff to know for sure but , I don’t think the guy and the leash detracted from the leash at all.
Watching YouTube videos as I obviously do to a detriment sometimes I stumbled across Art of Photography channel. He has a series called photo assignments which is what I’m currently sucked into. I’ll post a few pics from what I’m doing with that once I get them together.

Pescado_Verde

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Went to a reining horse show earlier. After some months of doing this if there's one thing I've learned it's that if horses are involved there's a good chance you're going to see something unplanned. Today's entry? TWO flats at the same time. Horse was doing the part of the routine where they are spinning in a circle, he got his feet tangled, stumbled and well, this is what I got.

DSC_3104_00001.jpg

Top Bottom