Less Fish = Less Filter?

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by wapooshe, Apr 19, 2017.

1. wapooshe

wapooshe Valued Member Member

This is kind of a follow up question on my old post about my filtration. Currently my HOB filter does 400 gph in a 75 gallon tank. I plan on getting another filter, but lets say I just keep my 400 gph filter. How many fish can i put in my 75 gal with only a 400 gph to keep a healthy environment?

I plan on adding:
    2 Angelfish
    1 Clown Pleco
    5-6 Congo or Rainbow Tetras
    3-4 Boesemani rainbowfish
    2 German blue ram

I assume this amount of fish would be fine if my tank was 600 gph. How many fish would I need to remove for a 400 gph filter?

2. Al913

Al913 Fishlore VIP Member

So the boesmani rainbow is a schooling fish so you should have at least 6.

In order to have the 400 gph I would say take out one of the schooling groups

3. OP
    OP
    wapooshe

Thank you sooooo much. I think I won't even have to change my filter cause i don't mind having the boesmani rainbow atm. I definitely will upgrade on a later day but this seems great atm to start out! Thanks again for the help! :)

4. BuddyD

BuddyD Well Known Member Member

German Blue Rams are nice. I have 2 also. Just one thing, they will try to nip your finger if you put it in the tank.

5. OP
    OP
    wapooshe

thanks ill make sure to watch for that :)

6. BuddyD

BuddyD Well Known Member Member

They can't hurt you. I actually find it funny when one does it. It first happened when my Dojo Loach was laying on the top of the floating plants and I was petting it. Yes, I said petting it.

7. Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

My GBR does this, anytime I'm by the tank she sticks her head out of the water and tries to nip and beg for treats.

8. p

purslanegarden Well Known Member Member

You can add additional filter support using the DIY filter designs. It can save some money here and there, either until you get the ones you like, or until you realize you're doing fine with the DIY filters anyway.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice