Leopard Goodeid Giving Birth

1. emeraldking

emeraldking Well Known Member Member

This past saturday one of my pregnant leopard goodeids (chapalichthys pardalis) gave birth to 40 fry which is a high number for a goodeid as such. I've already noticed how her belly started to square off. But not all pregnant goodeids will have a squared belly if they are almost due.
    Like most goodeids, the fry are large in comparison to the size of the mother. These real viviparous livebearers have small broods in general. Average between 5-20 fry each batch. They hardly chase their fry because of the size of the offpsring at birth. This female left them all alone.
    DSCF2208.JPG
    DSCF2216.JPG
    DSCF2229.JPG DSCF2232.JPG
    DSCF2233a.jpg DSCF2239.JPG DSCF2258a.jpg DSCF2268.JPG
    This female itself is 6,5cm large and each fry is 1cm.

2. OP
    OP
    emeraldking

Goodeids are born with the socalled trophotaeniae. These are comparable with a umbilical cord unlike ovoviviparous livebearers like e.g. guppies, mollies and so on...
    Newborn goodeid fry will shake the trophotaneniae off or keep them a day. That differs for each individual fry.
    Below one of the newborn fry with the trophotaeniae still stuck to the body.
    DSCF2248.JPG
    There is a lot more to livebearers than most people realize...

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Very cool, and great pictures!

4. JoeCamaro

JoeCamaro Well Known Member Member

Awesome! Thanks for sharing.

5. OP
    OP
    emeraldking

I've posted a video of this birthing moment as well.
    Here's the link: Polkadot Splitfin Giving Birth

The chapalichthys pardalis is als called polkadot goodeid and leopard goodeid.