Leopard Gecko questions

Discussion in 'Reptiles' started by Akari_32, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Akari_32

Akari_32Fishlore LegendMember

I've had Amelia, my Dreamsickle Leo, since March, and she's grown leaps and bounds. She's been living in a 10 gallon (much to my dis-like), but mom is finally starting to see how much she moves around, and how cramped she is looking, not to mention the fact that she's needing bigger hides, and there just isn't any room to do so.

Mom finally decided, on all her own, that she wants to upgrade her to a 20 long! So, I have a couple questions :)

Many people online are saying that their leos had trouble getting food in a 20 long. Since she is fed mainly worms, and I make feeding time interactive and a time to move about and make her hunt (or some times, if I don't have the time or energy to do this, I feed her in a dish), and worms don't move very fast, would that really be an issue? She rarely gets crickets, because mom hates them.

And the second question; Do they like the buddy system, or do they prefer being alone, or is it up to each individual? I wouldn't mind getting another female. They do need to be the same size, though, right? And what if they don't get along? I'd hate to divide the 20 long, or move them both into 10 gallons. Too squishy... I know they'd need 2-3 of everything (dishes, hides, etc).

Last one for now. I got Amelia from a breeder, already sexed, at ReptiCon. Lets say, if I did get a second, and not from a breeder, how the heck do I sex them? I could never figure that out... :p

And just because, heres my little girl :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  2. klogue2

klogue2Valued MemberMember

She's so cute!

Leo's are solitary critters except during breeding, so she'd do better alone. Not to say she wouldn't be ok with another, but she may be more comfortable alone. As long as its not a male :)

I have found my Leo's (which I got old and have since passed) never had a problem hunting crickets in their 20 gallon long aquariums. I also fed mainly mealworms and superworms though and they were easy enough to find, I put them in a bowl for them to eat at night and refilled it the next night.

To sex them, lift their tail gently and look at their vent. Above it (closer to the stomach) there will be some little pores. At 6 months you can usually easily tell if they're dark or light colored; dark means male. If the pores are barely visible and you can't really differentiate the color it's a female :)

3. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

Thanks! She's not quite albino LOL Makes her eyes brown (red and black mixed), and then she has baby blue on top of her eyes. I got her from a breeder that I can't remember the name of for the life of me! Very nice and have great, healthy stock, though. They even let us haggle on the price :p

If I did get another female, how would I go about introducing them? Since she's so large, I'd have to buy another that size from ReptiCon or another show. Probably not a fancy one, though. 85 bucks on Amelia was enough! I chock up her nice growth to her Repashy vitamins :)

Well thats not too hard! lol I think I'll leave the sexing to the pro's though. What size are they usually when they are sexable?

4. Mrs.Price

Mrs.PriceValued MemberMember

Very good advice! Solitary indeed, and no, your little guy will have no problem, not even with crickets in a 20 long... predatory animals love to hunt, and it actually makes them happier and healthier to do so!

5. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

She's not very smart when it comes to hunting crickets LOL Thats why she gets wormies. I drop them to one side of her (so she see's them) and we do that through the whole tank, so she moves gets to around. I let her hunt till she's done, and then she'll go into her cave and digest for a while, then come back out and cruise around. She can't really catch crickets. I don't think she was raised on them before I got her, so she never learned how. I have to grab them with the tweezers, squish them till they stop moving but aren't dead (yummy), grab them by a leg, and drag them around by her. Otherwise they're too fast and she's too dumb. She will sit and stare one down that is an inch away from her, and then slowly stretch her neck out and poke it with her nose, and then watch it run away. She'll lash right out at worms, though. I think she may be a little too inbred :giggle:

Her new thing, because she's gotten so large, is to rearrange the tank LOL Just her moist hide, because it slides easy on the paper towels. I don't leave her dish in there unless I have to feed her from it so that she's got as much room as possible. Her dish is actually a cat food saucer. Say's "Spoiled" on it :p Its about 4 inches across, so you can see how it would take up a lot of room in such a small tank.

6. Mrs.Price

With a little practice and less help, she'll get the hang of it... you underestimate the power of natural instinct ;) I thought my Garter snake was too slow for the crickets I fed him... only took time, and man, it's awesome watching them hunt and it!! She'll get the hang of it if you let her figure it out on her own, they are fast than you think!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  7. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

I only do that when she really gets discouraged. She can catch them sometimes, but she really hates it when they keep getting away :;rofl she tries, but most of the time it just doesn't happen lol

I love watching her hunt the crickets, though. She'll get real close, then sit really still, shake the end of her tail like a rattle snake, and launch like a lightning bolt! XD She doesn't do this with worms. Sometimes, just the the heck of it, and to get some movement out of them, she'll sneak up on them and poke them lol

I got her from TMF Exotics. Found their card in my car lol Anyone ever heard of them?

8. Makena95'GT

Makena95'GTWell Known MemberMember

I have both a male and female in a 20 long. they have sand to dig in and multiple hidey holes. They've been together for 2 years now and have been fine. The male (TC) isn't fantastic at chasing crickets but I'd rather not help him out. Let him learn on his own. He's figured out that the crickets congregate near the water dish. They're both not too social considering they've lived in a elementary school and now a high school since they were babies. TC is more social than the female. She's always been more slender than the male. She goes by the name CT. They actually prefer crickets over everything else ive given them -_-

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357791413.576219.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357791429.543378.jpg

It's also fun to watch them shed. A little disturbing, but awesome as well.

TC is a cutie an he knows it :)

And the only photo I had of CT lol

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  9. Mrs.Price

Those are AWESOME pics, Makena95'GT!!!

10. Makena95'GT

Makena95'GTWell Known MemberMember

11. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

Haha, look at that 'tude! Amelia knows that she can use her cuteness to get what she wants lol She's actually currently staring me down for food XD

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice