Leopard Gecko Prolapse Help

1. LilBlub

LilBlub Well Known Member Member

As I was about to turn out my gecko’s light, I noticed blood on his rock. I took him out and realized that he was bleeding from his anal region, rather badly. It looks like he has a prolapse. There are no vets open in my area right now. I need help to make sure he’ll be okay until morning when I can take him to a vet. He’s bleeding a lot, at least it looks like that compared to his size.
    FB17699B-553E-4247-B7AF-B20055BB8B17.jpeg
    8DDBFCD1-3764-4073-90DF-DA3FA63479FD.jpeg
    Does anyone know what the first aid for this would be?

2. midna

midna Well Known Member Member

oh man, i am so sorry. :( poor little guy. if you haven't already tried google, this is the first thing that popped up: lizard prolapse. they say to use saline and a water-based lubricant to keep it from drying up.

3. OP
    OP
    LilBlub

Thank you for replying quickly, I’ve never dealt with something like this before! It may not be a rectal prolapse, but rather his hemipenis, Like was discussed on that website. I know he has had one before, with a previous owner. Either way, I’ll lay down some moist paper towels in his tank to keep it from drying. I hope that will keep it moist enough till tomorrow. I’ll look around for a lubricant that will work.

4. midna

i had no idea this was common in lizards. poor bub :( what did the previous owner do to help?

5. OP
    OP
    LilBlub

I only know that she brought him to a vet, and they took care of it. I’m not sure if it happened at night or during the day, so I have no idea if he was able to be seen right away or if he had to wait. But I guess if it’s happened before he already knows what to expect.

6. midna

luckily i don't think it's fatal...? as long as you can get him to a vet soon, they'll be able to stitch him up

7. OP
    OP
    LilBlub

All the vets seem to be closed, since it’s a holiday. I’m soaking him, as I read that it can help. He stopped bleeding last night before I returned him to his tank. But it seems he started again in the night as there’s drops of blood on his favorite rock. I’ll try to keep the prolapse wet so it doesn’t shrivel up until the vet re-opens tomorrow.

8. OP
    OP
    LilBlub

In the event that anyone reading this can identify the difference between a hemipenis prolapse and an anal prolapse, I managed to get a picture (he was not happy):
    884F42D3-E6AC-4C2B-8147-F301202E19FF.jpeg
    Personally, I’m leaning towards hemipenis.

9. wodesorel

wodesorel Valued Member Member

I would be leaning towards hemipene as well. It looks pretty bad, but injuries with reptiles always do. I hope the vet can sort it out quickly when they open. Any way to do an ER vet visit? I know it is not always an option due to finances or location.

Have you tried soaking in sugar water? It causes the tissues to release excess fluid and shrink. It may help for the time being. I second using vasoline afterwards to seal in moisture. The best chance at an easy recovery is to make sure nothing dries out.

10. OP
    OP
    LilBlub

The closest emergency vet is an hour and a half away, and he starts bleeding every time I move him... So I don’t think a car ride that long is the best idea.

I gave him a warm bath this morning to keep it wet, but I haven’t tried sugar water yet. I’ll put some Vasoline on it next time I soak him, to keep in moisture. I was nervous about trying that if it was his rectum.

I’m going to call the vet early tomorrow and get him in as soon as possible.

11. OP
    OP
    LilBlub

I got him in today. They got everything back in its place and put in two stitches to keep it there.

He needed to be kept warm as he was waking up from surgery, so they gave him back to me in a mountain of blankets:
    C0B68982-019E-45BA-BFD5-CA711AA73E25.jpeg

12. emmysjj

emmysjj Well Known Member Member

Glad to see he’s feeling better!

13. Demeter

Demeter Well Known Member Member

I love happy endings! Hope the problem doesn't happen again.

14. OP
    OP
    LilBlub

He’s going in for a recheck on the 6th, so they’ll be able to tell me if it worked!

15. midna

so cute! i'm glad it worked out :) are there any preventative measures to keep it from happening again? maybe a diet change?

16. OP
    OP
    LilBlub

I don’t know if a diet change will help. I’ll have to ask next time I go. For now, the stitches should keep it from coming back out but after they remove them I’ll have to wait and see.

17. wodesorel

wodesorel Valued Member Member

Really happy to hear he is on the way to feeling better! Fingers crossed that this is all he needs.

18. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Oh, that's awful!
    I am very glad to see him healed! That towel looks cute on him :)

19. OP
    OP
    LilBlub

It looks like I spoke too soon. He re-prolapsed within a few hours of bringing him home. I’m back at the vet now, and they think they may just have to remove it. He’s currently in surgery.

20. OP
    OP
    LilBlub

Amazingly, I spoke too soon again! It fell off before they got him to surgery. I guess the dead tissue was pushed out. Hopefully that’ll be the end of it... It’s like a roller coaster with him!