20 Gallon Tank Leopard danio lost tail fin

Wench2pirates

I have a leopard danio that mostly lost it’s tail fin somehow. This happened about a month ago. It still has a little bit of fin sticking out. I did 2 rounds of pimafix/melafix with a water change in between, but to no avail. I did 1 dose of API fin & body cure (which killed a zebra danio within hours, and made my 9 Amano shrimp really sick). I did a 50% WC the next day, which helped save the other fish and shrimp. But, the leopard danio’s tail is still mostly gone. I’m not sure if he’s just stressed (because all my other danios that he schooled with, except 1, have died), or if there is something (fungal or bacterial) wrong with him.

Tank info:
20 gal long, established for 2.5 years, with live plants (plants are mostly gone because of previously owned silver dollar fish who ate them all), & several pieces of driftwood
PH: 7.6-8 (cannot get any lower even with driftwood, using catalpa leaves, ph down, etc)
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 20
Currently stocked with: 2 leopard danios (all other danios that I had died), 4 panda garras, & 9 Amano shrimp
Everyone is doing well except for the 1 danio. I don’t really want to get anymore fish, as I’d like to focus on the shrimp. I want to give the last 2 danios to a fish store, but I don’t want to turn in a sick fish. Please help! 1st pic is the fish, 2nd pic is the tank

Attachments

• 8076F894-9578-41F9-B13F-A1D1360E5CBF.jpeg
    8076F894-9578-41F9-B13F-A1D1360E5CBF.jpeg
    137.3 KB · Views: 18
  • BA264EC1-FBA1-41F1-8101-318B052EBBCD.jpeg
    BA264EC1-FBA1-41F1-8101-318B052EBBCD.jpeg
    224.1 KB · Views: 18

Lmg01

You should probably quarantine it if you can instead of treating the entire tank. It’s tail isn’t going to just suddenly grow back. I do recommend treating it though to avoid infection. Also, just a suggestion, but you should probably get some more plants.

Upvote 0

Wench2pirates

You should probably quarantine it if you can instead of treating the entire tank. It’s tail isn’t going to just suddenly grow back. I do recommend treating it though to avoid infection. Also, just a suggestion, but you should probably get some more plants.
I have a 1 gal I can quarantine him in, I’ll do that tomorrow. What should I treat him with? Side story: I had a glofish tiger barb when I first established/cycled my tank (in feb. 2019) that got weird white cottony growth (throughout his body) that I thought might be fungus. I talked to a LFS guy and he said it was stressed from not being properly schooled. I got more barbs and he got better
without any medications (all have since died, as they were older, and 2 jumped out of the tank). That’s why I’m not sure if the danio is suffering from stress or something else (bacterial or fungal). That’s why I haven’t quarantined him yet.
Also, what plants do you suggest? The plants I have are basically a mystery to me (I got a pack of bulbs at petsmart) , I think they’re some sort of water lily plants.

Upvote 0

Lmg01

I have a 1 gal I can quarantine him in, I’ll do that tomorrow. What should I treat him with? Side story: I had a glofish tiger barb when I first established/cycled my tank (in feb. 2019) that got weird white cottony growth (throughout his body) that I thought might be fungus. I talked to a LFS guy and he said it was stressed from not being properly schooled. I got more barbs and he got better
without any medications (all have since died, as they were older, and 2 jumped out of the tank). That’s why I’m not sure if the danio is suffering from stress or something else (bacterial or fungal). That’s why I haven’t quarantined him yet.
Also, what plants do you suggest? The plants I have are basically a mystery to me (I got a pack of bulbs at petsmart) , I think they’re some sort of water lily plants.

Java moss and Java ferns are great plants. You can use aquarium salt to treat at first. 1 gal is a bit small, but it’s better than nothing. If aquarium salt helps, just keep using that. Stress coat is great too. If those two don’t work or if the fish gets worse, you can try Melafix. Sorry I’ve responded so late

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
saqib
Replies
Views
hawaiifresh
  • Question
30 Gallon Tank [over]stocking plan?
Replies
Views