Leonid Meteor Shower

Isabella

Don't know how many of you like astronomy, but I am personally FASCINATED by it - I LOVE it For those who like it too, there will be a supposedly "spectacular" meteor shower of Leonids this weekend, very well visible in North-eastern U.S., beginning at 11:45 pm ET on Saturday Nov. 18 I can't wait to see it! It's best to find a place that has a clear and unobstructed horizon line. Have fun all of you who are going to watch!

Here is more information on it:

Peter243243

COOLAWESOMEGREAT

I LOVE Science I want to be a scientist when I grow up that includes planets.

And WHY can't Pluto be a planet any more why a dwarf planet why?

Stradius011

Peter243243 said:
COOLAWESOMEGREAT

I LOVE Science I want to be a scientist when I grow up that includes planets.

And WHY can't Pluto be a planet any more why a dwarf planet why?
Scientists discovered that there were many planets as small as pluto and categorized them "dwarf planets." They thought that it would be tiring to name all of them.

wittle dude

Will you be able to see it in south Eastern u.s.??? I love astronomy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Isabella

wittle dude said:
Will you be able to see it in south Eastern u.s.??? I love astronomy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I haven't read the articles in the two links (that I provided in this thread) to the end. If ithey don't mention south-eastern U.S., then I don't know. Maybe you could see it close to your northern horizon line? You could at least try, I suppose. Find a dark place with no buildings or trees obstructing your northern horizon line, and start watching at 11:45 pm ET tonight. I myself am going to start watching at about 11:30 pm. BUT ... the sky is quite cloudy over NY right now, and if it doesn't clear up until the evening, I may see NOTHING ...  ... I really hope I can see something! I hate it when the sky is cloudy at night!

Isabella

Did anybody see anything? As I expected, I couldn't see a thing because my sky was cloudy I hate when that happens! It's been the 2nd or 3rd time I couldn't see a meteor shower because of a cloudy sky ... :'(

Dino

I saw 3 in the 5 minutes or so that I watched.
I was quite a bit south of the best viewing area, however.

Dino

Peter243243

Nothing and I missed some of Church due to sleepiness.

All for nothing.
But the conversation was nice.

Isabella

Dino said:
I saw 3 in the 5 minutes or so that I watched.
You're so lucky Dino!

Dino

Even on nonshower nights, you can usually see a meteor about every 15 minutes.
The best way to do this is lay on your back and look up.
I know that sounds obvious, but you wil miss some if you sit up and are constantly scanning by moving your body.

Dino

Isabella

Dino said:
Even on nonshower nights, you can usually see a meteor about every 15 minutes.
I know that Dino, but it's rare to have a very clear sky over New York, and even if the sky is clear here, the city lights obscure the view anyway. So it's highly unlikely that you'll see a "falling star" in the suburbs of NYC, and MUCH LESS in NYC itself.

When I go on vacations away from the city and its suburbs, I do often look at the sky to see meteorites, and I have seen many this way But there is a large difference between meteorites like Leonids and regular meteorites. Leonids are much more powerful, as I have seen literally HUGE fluorescent green streaks of light from the Leonids a few years ago OVER NY SKY! So they must be pretty powerful if one can see them over NY sky, believe me. I can't even imagine what they looked like over a secluded and dark area - must have been a spectacular view

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom