Lemon Tetra Breeding 29 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by GuppyGuy007, Jun 14, 2018.

1. GuppyGuy007

GuppyGuy007 Well Known Member Member

So, I am trying g to breed my lemon tetras. So far, I have it divided, and separated the female, and will be adding catappa leaves to lower PH. What is the next step. I have one female on one side, and four males on the other side. Thanks for all tips and advice

2. maggie thecat

maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

Wait. What?

Tetras are egg scatterers. The females and the males need to be in the same space. Also, your ratios are off. One female us going to be harassed by a pack of males.

Do you have egg traps or mops in place?

Most egg laying fish are also cannibals, happily eating their own eggs as soon as they are laid. You want to capture the eggs and move them to their own tank away from the parent fish.

3. OP
    OP
    GuppyGuy007

GuppyGuy007 Well Known Member Member

I read that I should separate them to condition them, and then put them back together after a week or two. What would the correct ratio be? No yet, how wuld I go about building them, or are they something I would buy. This is my first time breeding egg layers...

4. maggie thecat

maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

I only breed tetras inadvertently. Here is an article about doing it on purpose.

An egg mop can be as simple as a net scrubby or strips of filter sponge tied together. Or you can take a lidded pyrex dish, cut the middle out of the lid and replace it with craft netting. Sink onto the bottom and top with some plants, real or fake or a moss ball. I use these sometimes in my community tank as a safe haven for fry.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice