Lemon Or Rummynose Tetras?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by leeexie-flowy, Apr 17, 2017.

1. l

leeexie-flowy Valued Member Member

I'm making projects for my 26 gallon tank and i'm indecisive about wich school the tank will have, since it will have an amazonian theme, i chose tetras as the mid-dwellers, but doing further research, i found out that a lot of tetra species are fin nippers

I plan to have an Apistogramma as the centerpiece fish, so i'm left with lemon or ember tetras,I like lemons more, but what i'm really in love with are Rummynose tetras,I'd like to hear from people with experience in this fish to tell me if they'd be suitable for this tank.

I also plan to keep 10+ in a school,16 if possible, but it will most likely be 12
    Thanks in advance :^)

2. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

How long is your tank?

3. D

Discusluv Well Known Member Member

I am especially fond of rummy-nose tetras... they are very hardy. I have had a school of a dozen for three years without any health problems.

4. OP
    OP
    l

It's 70 centimeters or 27,5 inches

5. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

I'd choose rummynose tetras.

6. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

I think you could do rummys in this tank; I'd do 12 max. You could also do a bottom dweller if you like, such as cories or khuli loaches, or even a small pleco (BN, clown, or rubberlip) but you don't have to

7. OP
    OP
    l

Thank you! I'm planning on having a bottom dweller and was quite upset 'cause i thought i couldn't have a pleco in this tank (i have no idea why but i really love them).Now i'm a lot more excited to setup this tank hope that my apisto doesn't get nipped on and all goes well.

8. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Rummy nose tetras all the way they are simply BEATIFUL.
    A giant school of dwarf corydoras may look interesting in your tank, I have always wanted to do that but my pocket does not allow me to do so lol.

9. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

I'm more of a lemon guy myself, but hey, your tank your call. If you want a good plec for a bit of algae control I really suggest the rubbernose/rubberlip. Mine did a great job in my 20 for a while.

10. aquatickeeper

Dwarf cories need cooler water than rummynose tetras, so that won't work. C. aeneus or sterbais would work with rummynose

11. BeanFish

I thought all 3 species of rummynoses could do well at 25 Celsius. But I also know they are kept with Discus at high temperatures so I dont know. Sterbais are hardy and have a wider range of temperature so while maybe the Rummys can live with dwarf corydoras Sterbais would be a way better option.

12. c

chickenghost Valued Member Member

Rummynose are substantially prettier than lemons in my opinion. I do agree that they prefer warm water (which means I cant have them wop wop)

13. aquatickeeper

Yeah, rummynose can live at 25C. 25C is what I consider warm.

14. BeanFish

And dwarf corydoras can also live at 25 Celsius... but the temperature would always have to be kept near that so maybe not the most flexible option so some will preffer a more flexible cory like what you mentioned, Sterbai.

15. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Aeneus cories would also work.

16. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

What Apistogramma are you thinking of? That will play a roll in deciding the tetra if you are trying to showcase that fish.

17. O

OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

Lemons are my favorite fish in the tank. They school very tight and are extremely active. I worry they are going to jump out of the tank when the food hits the surface. Look even nicer as they age.

18. aquatickeeper

So make sure you have a lid

19. O

OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

Good advice lol. They are in a quarantine tank now without a lid and making me nervous. :)

20. aquatickeeper

Tetras are known jumpers, so be careful

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice