Lemon Or Rummynose Tetras?

leeexie-flowy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm making projects for my 26 gallon tank and i'm indecisive about which school the tank will have, since it will have an amazonian theme, i chose tetras as the mid-dwellers, but doing further research, i found out that a lot of tetra species are fin nippers

I plan to have an Apistogramma as the centerpiece fish, so i'm left with lemon or ember tetras,I like lemons more, but what i'm really in love with are Rummynose tetras,I'd like to hear from people with experience in this fish to tell me if they'd be suitable for this tank.

I also plan to keep 10+ in a school,16 if possible, but it will most likely be 12
Thanks in advance :^)

AngelTheGypsy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
How long is your tank?

Discusluv

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am especially fond of rummy-nose tetras... they are very hardy. I have had a school of a dozen for three years without any health problems.

leeexie-flowy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
AngelTheGypsy said:
How long is your tank?
It's 70 centimeters or 27,5 inches

aquatickeeper

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'd choose rummynose tetras.

AngelTheGypsy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think you could do rummys in this tank; I'd do 12 max. You could also do a bottom dweller if you like, such as cories or khuli loaches, or even a small pleco (BN, clown, or rubberlip) but you don't have to

leeexie-flowy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
AngelTheGypsy said:
I think you could do rummys in this tank; I'd do 12 max. You could also do a bottom dweller if you like, such as cories or khuli loaches, or even a small pleco (BN, clown, or rubberlip) but you don't have to
Thank you! I'm planning on having a bottom dweller and was quite upset 'cause i thought i couldn't have a pleco in this tank (i have no idea why but i really love them).Now i'm a lot more excited to setup this tank hope that my apisto doesn't get nipped on and all goes well.

BeanFish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Rummy nose tetras all the way they are simply BEATIFUL.
A giant school of dwarf corydoras may look interesting in your tank, I have always wanted to do that but my pocket does not allow me to do so lol.

MattS99

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
leeexie-flowy said:
Thank you! I'm planning on having a bottom dweller and was quite upset 'cause i thought i couldn't have a pleco in this tank (i have no idea why but i really love them).Now i'm a lot more excited to setup this tank hope that my apisto doesn't get nipped on and all goes well.
I'm more of a lemon guy myself, but hey, your tank your call. If you want a good plec for a bit of algae control I really suggest the rubbernose/rubberlip. Mine did a great job in my 20 for a while.

aquatickeeper

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
BeanFish said:
Rummy nose tetras all the way they are simply BEATIFUL.
A giant school of dwarf corydoras may look interesting in your tank, I have always wanted to do that but my pocket does not allow me to do so lol.
Dwarf cories need cooler water than rummynose tetras, so that won't work. C. aeneus or sterbais would work with rummynose

BeanFish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
aquatickeeper said:
Dwarf cories need cooler water than rummynose tetras, so that won't work. C. aeneus or sterbais would work with rummynose
I thought all 3 species of rummynoses could do well at 25 Celsius. But I also know they are kept with Discus at high temperatures so I don't know. Sterbais are hardy and have a wider range of temperature so while maybe the Rummys can live with dwarf corydoras Sterbais would be a way better option.

chickenghost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Rummynose are substantially prettier than lemons in my opinion. I do agree that they prefer warm water (which means I can't have them wop wop)

aquatickeeper

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
BeanFish said:
I thought all 3 species of rummynoses could do well at 25 Celsius. But I also know they are kept with Discus at high temperatures so I don't know. Sterbais are hardy and have a wider range of temperature so while maybe the Rummys can live with dwarf corydoras Sterbais would be a way better option.
Yeah, rummynose can live at 25C. 25C is what I consider warm.

BeanFish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
And dwarf corydoras can also live at 25 Celsius... but the temperature would always have to be kept near that so maybe not the most flexible option so some will preffer a more flexible cory like what you mentioned, Sterbai.

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Aeneus cories would also work.

KimberlyG

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What Apistogramma are you thinking of? That will play a roll in deciding the tetra if you are trying to showcase that fish.

OnTheFly

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Lemons are my favorite fish in the tank. They school very tight and are extremely active. I worry they are going to jump out of the tank when the food hits the surface. Look even nicer as they age.

aquatickeeper

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
OnTheFly said:
Lemons are my favorite fish in the tank. They school very tight and are extremely active. I worry they are going to jump out of the tank when the food hits the surface. Look even nicer as they age.
So make sure you have a lid

OnTheFly

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good advice lol. They are in a quarantine tank now without a lid and making me nervous.

aquatickeeper

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
OnTheFly said:
Good advice lol. They are in a quarantine tank now without a lid and making me nervous.
Tetras are known jumpers, so be careful

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads