LED vs Fluorescent Lighting for Photosynthesis

1. HauntedBrock Initiate Member

I have started a 36 gallon planted tank and want to add more but the plants I choose may require mid to high output lighting and I know that can rack up energy costs, especially over the years. I'm fine with spending upfront money on LED but I'm worried about the photosynthesis process with LED.
    1. Will plants still be able to thrive with LED?
    2. Is there a particular color temperature (kelvin) and lumens some of you might suggest for best plant growth in this situation?

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore!

Plants do very well with LED lighting, as long as it's still the correct color temp.

5000 - 10000 K will grow plants, and 6500 K is considered ideal. PAR is the gold standard now (instead of watts or lumens).
    http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/10-lighting/184368-lighting-aquarium-par-instead-watts.html

I have Finnex fixtures on my tank, and I love them. They grow plants so well. The Finnex Stingray should give you low light, the Planted Plus low-medium light, and the Ray2 medium (maybe high) light. I'd stay away from high light if you're not injecting CO2 though.