LED v T5 lighting

1. offcentre Initiate Member

I have read that LED is the way to go? Does anyone have any advise on this for my new tank?

Thanks again

Grahame

2. TayJay76 Member Member

What type of tank are we talking. I have read that aswell, LED is still fairly new and has had numerous reports of success. However it mostly depends on what your wanting to keep. Let us know;)

3. offcentre Initiate Member

Hi

I am going to keep African Malawi Cichlids, no plants.

4. CichlidSWAGA Well Known Member Member

what kind of led lights are you looking at? that tank would look sweet with LEDs. It doesn't really matter what kind of light you use if your not going to have plants

5. bowcrazy Well Known Member Member

If you are not going to have live plants, live rock or anything like that in the tank then LEDs are the way to go because they are cheaper to operate. The cause less evaporation because they produce less heat and use less power. I have one on one of my tanks and it has a moon light feature also. This tank is in my bed room and I use the moon light setting at night when I have the grandkids staying over so that it is like a night light for them but isn’t so bright that it keeps us up. It also allows the kids to watch the fish for a while even after lights out. Now if you are ever planning on having anything live in the tank other than fish I would go with the T5 lighting.

6. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore.

In a fish only tank you could use just about any lighting. The only purpose for light in a fish only tank is for the human to see their creation.

LED lights are great, however they are very expensive on a larger tank. Not sure if cost is a concern or not, but thought I'd throw that out.

7. offcentre Initiate Member

Thanks for all the advice, I will go with LED lighting. I ordered on Ebay, which was cheap, so I can change if they don't look right. I got 5m lstrip length of white and 2 x 48cm blue for night.

8. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

:animal0068:I have moved your thread from Freshwater Beginners to Freshwater Tank Equipment/Lighting section of the forum.

Thanks!

Ken

9. escapay Well Known Member Member

Not sure if I would fully agree with this statement. I agree with basically any lighting. However, I do believe fish should have light to represent their natural habitats (I know, many are now farm raised so it won't necessarily be the same habitat) and cause less stress. Too little light over a long period of time isn't beneficial. Same as too much light at a time will cause stress for many fish.

Anyways, good for you in getting the LEDs! Might cost more initially, but LEDs are cost efficient in the long run. Plus they look neat.

10. jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

leds are great. two of my planted tanks have them, and the plants do very well. but if youre not having pants..it doesn't really matter.but they are good for them...if you ever want plants.

-j

11. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

There are many sources of light. A window, room lighting, etc. A tank will experience light and dark without having a source directly over it.