Led Strips?

1. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Has anybody every used these?
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1405606482.491573.jpg
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1405606494.134967.jpg
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1405606502.206051.jpg

I would like to make a custom light with these led strips. I've seen people use them and I'm wondering if they work for an aquarium. If so, how will I be able to build it?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

Interesting project! Are you looking to just illuminate a display tank or are you attempting plant growth?

3. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

I would like a little of both. I need to find out how to build it so I can get started.

4. Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

If you want plants either now or in the future, be sure to get the LED's in the 6500k color temp range. Also they make those strips in a waterproof version, so be sure to get those. I imagine you could gut out an old hood, and silicone the strip to the inside of it, looping the strip around the edge and into the central area of the hood. I imagine a google search for "DIY aquarium strip LED" would produce some examples. Keep us updated with some pics when you get it going.

5. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

I doubt the kelvin rating for those is high enough to grow plants. You'd want something between 5k and 8k daylight spectrum in order to accommodate plant growth.

Edit: ninja'd by dolphan...

6. WiFi Well Known Member Member

I'm fairly sure that the Kelvin rating on this strip is only 2700k, It wouldn't be beneficial towards any plants if that is what you were using it for.

7. Teishokue Well Known Member Member

Only works for low light plants.

I use 3528 smd, rgb 300 on the coil. I disliked the waterproof.

50/50 smd, rgb, 300 too dark and does not light well.

I use 9v ac. Very easy to do. Simple glue and attach with 5-6 strips to illuminate. Purchase 1 blue coil so that you can add blue to your spectrum. Unless you want to use colored plastic wrap

8. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Thanks for the info. Is there a website or something to help me set this up? Also is this all I need? ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1405616081.695188.jpg
    Or do I have to buy something else?

9. Teishokue Well Known Member Member

I suggest buying electrical connection clips. U dont need the dimmer/remote but u can if you want to. I just attach mines directly to the ac adapter.

10. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Okay thanks