Led Strips Inside Tank Hood? 10 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by ETNsilverstar, Dec 27, 2018.

1. ETNsilverstar

ETNsilverstarWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +801
    Experience:
    Just started
    I have the top fin 10g kit and would like to upgrade the lighting. Replacing the hood would likely cause problems, so I'd like to do something that will work inside the current hood. I was thinking LED strips might be a good option, but I don't want to go that route if they just wouldn't work or could potentially be dangerous. Does anyone have experience using LED strips for lighting their tank?

Reasons replacing the hood is problematic:
    • No lid with just lights above it isn't an option because cats (and one likes to drink from anything that's NOT the water bowl before going to the water bowl)
    • A plexiglass lid may not be strong enough and a glass lid could break, because cats (the same cat likes to sit on top of the tank sometimes, and I know the current hood supports her weight)
    I'm up for other suggestions for what might work as well.

2. loyal

loyalValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +48
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    LED strips in the diy way should be fine. alot of people that do things them selfs use em... even on algae scrubbers which needs a light source near the water..

3. Swlws

SwlwsWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +638
    Experience:
    1 year
    I'm also going to try using LED strips for my new tank, I have them already so why not? if it works, awesome, if not I lost nothing and have to get a light...

Oh and I have the same problem, cats everywhere! I once caught my one cat lazing about with one paw dangling 2 inches in my 5g tank, not trying to catch anything mind you! she was napping like that :p:D:p

4. OP
    OP
    ETNsilverstar

Ratings:
    +801
    Experience:
    Just started
    Silly cats! Luckily only one of mine cares about the fish and she's the lightest of the bunch. I've found the lid of the filter knocked off a couple times so she could get a drink. These days she keeps trying to bite the top corners of the tank. *sigh*

You'll have to let me know how the LED strips work for you though! What brand do you have?

5. Swlws

Ratings:
    +638
    Experience:
    1 year
    What considerate kitties you have

I don't know the light brand, it's a generic brand that I had for a Christmas project that never happened... "12V Bright 5M Waterproof SMD 60 Led Per Meter Strip Light 6500k White" that's the only label it has.

6. SegiDream

SegiDreamWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +534
    Experience:
    1 year
    I don't know if it would be an upgrade or not but I found that walmart sells led light strip lights in store as backlights for TV's. In both white and the color changing and remote controlled options from $5-20 price range. Unfortunately I didn't get any to try because hubby was like nooooo and steered me away :(

7. aae0130

aae0130Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +445
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I have an acrylic tank that came with a cheesy light hood that contained 1 flouro tube. The plastic protector lens thingy :D didn’t quite seal it up so good and allowed water to condense inside. The fixture quickly corroded. I got the idea to put new lights in the hood but was worried about the same thing happening. I went to my local Pet-not-so-smart and found a Nat Geo branded submersible led light. It is meant to go inside the tank on the back wall directly in the water. I didn’t want to mount it that way because it would get in the way of my filter so I took out the flouro fixture and glued it inside the hood. The gap in the lens housing was enough to get the wire out. It has a switch on the outside (on the wire chord) so it works like a charm.

89DF847A-767A-4AFA-9616-203D2F7490B7.
    46CB6941-7708-46BB-A536-C00DFD73DEC2.
    EEB146CE-796F-4355-98C5-3C00387503DA.
    77BF868C-4F43-4BDF-9285-AD13F06B32BA.

They ar steep in price but I was lucky enough to have found it on sale and got the 19 inch for $29
    Here is a link to it. I believe the shorter version would work for your tank.

In your case, if you have room on your back rim inside the tank you could just mount it there without any modifications to anything.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  8. OP
    OP
    ETNsilverstar

Ratings:
    +801
    Experience:
    Just started
    That seems like a really good option! I don't really care about the price if it works! lol

9. aae0130

Ratings:
    +445
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I failed to mention something. The way I mounted it on the inside roof of the hood was simply. I put a few drops of crazy glue on the provided suction cups. It has been on for 1-1/2 years without issue.

Btw.....it has a blue moonlight setting......

Hope this helped you. :)

10. LeticiaM

LeticiaMValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +133
    Experience:
    1 year
    I don’t mean to highjack this thread, but i would love a solution like this too!! Is the National Geographic light linked above good for plant growth? I can not find information on the K value.
    Thank you!!

11. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +5,897
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Put black pepper and cayenne pepper on the hood. That is what we do to teach our cats where they should not be.

Go with a glass canopy and a proper LED light. (if you want to grow plants)

12. aae0130

Ratings:
    +445
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I do not know. I have a rockscape for cichlids. No plants.

I can tell you It is not super bright. My tank has a cobalt blue background, ash black gravel, and dark red lava stone so it is a dark tank to begin with.......
    image.

The tank is 20 inches deep and it does penetrate to the bottom. Being only a 19 inch long light fixture it doesn’t illuminate the ends of the 36 inch tank so well. There are probably better choices for a densely planted tank.

13. LeticiaM

LeticiaMValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +133
    Experience:
    1 year
    Thank you both! I only have a lightly-moderately planted 10g, but should probably have a better light than the one that came with the hood. I will look for a glass good and proper light.
    Thank you!

14. OP
    OP
    ETNsilverstar

Ratings:
    +801
    Experience:
    Just started
    Yes, definitely! Thank you!

I'll have to try that on the tank now and see if it works. I was able to deter my oldest cat with menthol previously, but the middle cat will eat it, so it no longer works as a deterrent. Hopefully none of them decide they like pepper!

15. Swlws

Ratings:
    +638
    Experience:
    1 year
    An update of my new lights, I got them this morning (birthday luck :D) and used marine silicone to glue it all down, messily since you can't bend the light strip but the end result still works amazingly I think!

Here's a comparison, first one just with room lights, the second with the new tank lights :p
    Before: 20190106_225058.
    After: 20190107_205329.
    20190107_211029.

16. OP
    OP
    ETNsilverstar

Ratings:
    +801
    Experience:
    Just started
    Looks pretty awesome to me!

17. Betta'sAnonymous

Betta'sAnonymousWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,162
    Experience:
    4 years
    This is like what i want for my betta tanks. Where you get them?

18. Swlws

Ratings:
    +638
    Experience:
    1 year
    No idea where you would get them in USA but if I could get it online in South Africa then you could probably get dozens of varieties there. to the one I ordered, I'd suggest maybe looking on Amazon for it?

19. OP
    OP
    ETNsilverstar

Ratings:
    +801
    Experience:
    Just started
    I searched for the product name from that link on amazon and tons of options popped up. :)

20. Islandvic

IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,609
    Experience:
    1 year
    Have you upgraded the lights on the 10g yet?

I have used the Marineland 17" Hidden LED and it's bright!

Found it on sale back in the fall online at Drs. Foster & Smith website.