LED Question

1. Lupinus Member Member

Hi All :;hi1

Hoping for some input on the last piece of hardware for the 40 breeder.

Right now I'm looking at going with a Marineland LED fixture, just debating between single and double bright. Unless there's a suggestion for a different fixture, which I'm open to in the same or less price range.

I don't plan on live planting, if anything a few low light plants. So, especially with it being a breeder that's only 17 inches deep would the single bright be enough? The double bright is, well, twice as bright at 1200 lumens as opposed to 600 on the single bright. The double bright is obviously a little more expensive and uses a touch more than twice the wattage, though the LED's are rated at a longer life span.

Thoughts or suggestions? Right now I'm leaning towards the single bright unless there's a lot to be gained going with the double.

2. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

3. croaker Member Member

I would get the double bright or some other kind.
    I have the double bright on my 40 breeder and it isn't that bright.
    I think anything less would be not enough light at all.
    Just my thoughts on it because i am not that happy with mine.

4. Lupinus Member Member

So after some more looking around, I got the 36-48 Double Bright Marineland and it arrived today.

I like it! It's a nice clean white light and provides a good level of lighting but isn't extremely bright and doesn't have that "filled with light" effect. It's a bit more natural, with shadows and shimmers and such. Really liking the way it looks.

I will say though that it's 36 inches so matches my tank exactly, if there was much of a gap and needed the legs extended very far it might not be as good. But on this tank it looks really nice.

Now, just need to need to finish the waiting game and add some fish.

5. croaker Member Member

glad you like it
    getting to be a little happier with mine
    you are right fits perfect just wish it was a little more light

6. ZanderFTW Member Member

Its a nice fixture especially with African C. since they eat plants, i tried keeping them with live plants as an experiment didn't work well in the end but at least it will survive for 17, 000 hours

7. mikegip Initiate Member

wait for you pics..
    lol
    where is the beautiful tannnnnnnk!!!!!