LED or Plant/Aquarium Lights Question

1. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

. Heavens. I've read everything I can on lights. My mind has a tendency to shut down when they're too many numbers in front of me. However I do have 2 of the the Home Depot plant/aquarium light bulbs 15watts each. But I still cant understand it. I know I have lowlight I just want to know if I get LED would that be any brighter? I have a 40gal 36" long 21" high planted tank.

2. atc84 Well Known Member Member

yeah thats low light. I've gotten one of those bulbs before, i switched it out because it isn't really the best for aquarium plants. Depending on the lumens, which is the actual light output, is what will tell you which setup gives you more light.

3. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

I say CFL bulbs are good for plants. A rating of 5000k to 7000k is great for plants

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

what's a CFL?

5. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Compact Fluorescent Light
    You can find them at Walmart or Home Depot

6. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

7. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

I read Hoppie's thing on Par and that's what got me dizzy. I just want to know if LED is brighter than plant/aquarium lights their Lumens is 470 which means nothing but that's the only information given on the box.

8. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

Are my Plant/Aquarium bulbs CFLs? They say Lumens 470 but that's all they say. They're flourescent bulbs in a shop light.

9. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

These are the CFL bulbs ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1406653613.062208.jpg

10. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Brightness depends entirely on the light... I can't tell you LEDs are brighter than flourescents. Some are, some aren't. If you link us to the actual light you have, we might be able to help.

Basically to grow plants in an aquarium, you want daylight spectrum bulbs (5500 kelvins to 7500 kelvins) of an appropriate size for your tank.

11. ricmcc Well Known Member Member

Canadian Football League, of course, where Warren Moon spent 9 seasons, and is now in both Hall of Fames, which are well lighted, just in order address your question--sorry, will get about to that if I happen to know:)-rick

12. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

I agree with junebug. We can't exactly tell you if LEDs are brighter because specifically some LEDs are brighter and some aren't. A picture of the bulb you have might help us be more specific.

13. sliderdkp Member Member

My Fluval LED lights are much brighter than the lighting that came with my Fluval Edge 5 gal. Sometimes I wonder if the lights hurt my betta's eyes. And I never had a problem with algae until I installed this type LED on the Edge 5. Don't know whether it's due to the LED or not? Am considering putting the LED on the 16 gal bowfront that is other construction. My lighting is on typically9-10 hours/day. Any comments/advice/replies would be appreciated. And I hope I just didn't hi jack a thread. If I did, please let me know, and help me place it in the proper category. Thanks.:;balloons

14. sliderdkp Member Member

[​IMG]

This is what I currently have.
    40 LEDS, 740 LUMENS.
    ULTRA BRIGHT.

15. sliderdkp Member Member

OMG...just switched lights...LED to 16 gal. It looks amazing!