Led Lights

Keith83

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So I have a Fluvial brand "Sky" LED light for my 55 gallon tank. It's seems very bright on some settings but its rated at less than 40 watts. I've read that you need 2 watts per gallon to grow plants. Does that rule apply to LED? I've planted some crypts, a couple of Amazon swords, several Java ferns and some anubias plants. I've seen some growth. I've been following the flourish fert schedule(trace, comprehensive, iron, potassium) for a week and have had root tabs down for 3 weeks. Some melting but new growth too. Am I okay? Thanks

CraniumRex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
You’re right - that 2 watts per gallon does not apply to LED lighting. That measure applied to older fluorescent light I believe.

Harder to measure efficacy of LED as I have seen 10 watt as equivalent to 60 watt incandescent - but wattage itself is not a measure of light intensity but of power consumed.

I’m not familiar with your light but I think you should be fine if I guess from the wattage. Maybe! Does the box indicate anything like colour temp or PAR? 6500k is a good temp. You do have low light plants which is great.

If you have seen growth then you are fine. Your ferts look good though there are better all in one fertilizers you can use. But it does depend on how much growth you want, how much fish waste you have to feed them without ferts, and how long you leave the lights on every day. If you see growth without algae then you are doing great.

If you see algae on your slow growing anubias try floating plants to shade them.

Hope that helps!

Keith83

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
CraniumRex said:
You’re right - that 2 watts per gallon does not apply to LED lighting. That measure applied to older fluorescent light I believe.

Harder to measure efficacy of LED as I have seen 10 watt as equivalent to 60 watt incandescent - but wattage itself is not a measure of light intensity but of power consumed.

I’m not familiar with your light but I think you should be fine if I guess from the wattage. Maybe! Does the box indicate anything like colour temp or PAR? 6500k is a good temp. You do have low light plants which is great.

If you have seen growth then you are fine. Your ferts look good though there are better all in one fertilizers you can use. But it does depend on how much growth you want, how much fish waste you have to feed them without ferts, and how long you leave the lights on every day. If you see growth without algae then you are doing great.

If you see algae on your slow growing anubias try floating plants to shade them.

Hope that helps!
I don't have the box any more but have the manual. I'm not home right now but I will check out the colour and temp if it has it. No algie yet(tank is only a month old) but I do have some frog bit coming from my local fish store. Thinking about trying out Thrive when I run out of the flourish bottles. I have heard that it causes algie and white water reading the reviews on Amazon. But yeah you helped out a lot!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom