LED lighting?

James95

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi everyone!

I have a question regarding LED lighting. I've grown plants before under typical low light fluorescent/low tech conditions. I'm interested in adding a few banana plants and maybe a handful of java moss to my 5.5 gallon tank. I'm currently using the Marineland LED hood that came with the Aquarium kit (it has three small LEDs on a strip). I am wondering if I need to upgrade to a more substantial Fluorescent hood. Thoughts? Advice? I have very little experience with the newer LED lighting!

Thank you in Advance

Dolfan

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
For java moss your LED's should be fine. I'm not sure about the banana plant but I assume it's a low light plant, in which case it would also do ok. Those included LED's aren't the greatest but they will support most low light plants, you just wont see real fast growth or anything.

James95

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thank you Dolfan! I'm leaning towards replacing them with a Fluorescent. I actually don't really like the way they look anyway :/

Goundar01

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If you want your 5.5 gallon tank to hold a wider variety of plants. Such as medium lighted plants too. Check the fluval aqualife and plant led light. The marineland led lights aren't the greatest.

Dolfan

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
James95 said:
Thank you Dolfan! I'm leaning towards replacing them with a Fluorescent. I actually don't really like the way they look anyway :/
Not sure I would go to fluorescent. That's like going backwards in technology. If you get a new light get a better LED such as a Finnex Planted Plus, or something along those lines.

James95

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Dolfan said:
Not sure I would go to fluorescent. That's like going backwards in technology. If you get a new light get a better LED such as a Finnex Planted Plus, or something along those lines.
Thanks! I'll have to look into those. Back when I first started keeping fish, Metal Halides were all the rage for planted tanks. VHO Fluorescents were just starting to become popular. I probably just dated myself, Haha

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom