LED light ideas, PAR, dry starting?

Dart

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have several questions as I'm working to set up FOUR new planted tanks.
icon_biggrin.gif

1) I currently have a Niccrew ClassicLED Plus on my 65 gallon tall tank. It says it has a PAR of 70 at 12". Are we thinking the PAR at 24" is around 20??

2) For the four newly planted tanks (which includes rescaping the 65, along with a 29, a 20 long, and a 10), I am planning on having these plants:
29--crypt spiralis, crypt wendtiI 'red', bacopa australis, ludwigia ovalis, bacopa caroliniana/monnieri, java fern 'windelov'
20L--anubias barteri, anubias congensis, java fern, dwarf 4 leaf clover, crypt parva and anubias nana
10--hydrocotyle tripartita 'japan', pygmy chain sword, dwarf 4 leaf clover and anubias nana 'petite'
65--crypt balansae, narrow leaf sag, crypt spiralis, crypt wendtiI 'red', bacopa caroliniana/monnieri, madagascar lace, amazon sword, frogbit, java fern, dwarf sag

3)I'll be keeping the Niccrew for probably the 65 (??), but what LED lights are recommended for the other 3 tanks? I plan on lifting the substrate up so not all of the plants will be at the very bottom of the tank. I would like to try to get some sort of carpet going in the 10 but I know that's near impossible without CO2. I am considering dry starting it and going from there...any tips on that?

Thanks!

rskogl2

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I’d think the 29 would require some heavier lighting like a Fluval Plant 3.0. The 20L is shallow so you could probably do a 30” NICREWclassic LED Plus. Are you dosing CO2 like Excel?

OP
Dart

Dart

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
rskogl2 said:
I’d think the 29 would require some heavier lighting like a Fluval Plant 3.0. The 20L is shallow so you could probably do a 30” NICREWclassic LED Plus. Are you dosing CO2 like Excel?
I don't, as I've read a bunch of conflicting things about excel. I do have it on hand tho.

Thank you for the info!

rskogl2

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Dart said:
I don't, as I've read a bunch of conflicting things about excel. I do have it on hand tho.

Thank you for the info!
Just curious which articles, as I would like to read them also, because I dose Excel daily in some low tech tanks with Anubias, Crypts, and Java fern and they seem to do a lot better than when I wasn’t. I was always getting black algae on the java fern but not so far after dosing with Excel.
I know that some plants like Val don’t like Excel but I use Aquarium Co-Op CO2 on the Val tank and it seems to be thriving in low tech conditions.

Also, I used to dose every other day or once a week previously with no real results, but daily dosing in the AM seems to have helped a lot!

OP
Dart

Dart

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
rskogl2 said:
Just curious which articles, as I would like to read them also, because I dose Excel daily in some low tech tanks with Anubias, Crypts, and Java fern and they seem to do a lot better than when I wasn’t. I was always getting black algae on the java fern but not so far after dosing with Excel.
I know that some plants like Val don’t like Excel but I use Aquarium Co-Op CO2 on the Val and it seems to be thriving in low tech conditions.
More on forums, etc.

I have no doubts that excel does help the plants, but I worry more about its effects on the fish, given that it's a chemical and algaecide.

New Threads