LED light for 5 gallon?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by foxhill2, Jul 15, 2015.

1. foxhill2

foxhill2Valued MemberMember

Hi all. I need a replacement light for my Aqueon Mini Bow 5 gallon. Have had trouble with the hood/bulb fixture for a while.
    It may be the condensation from the tank, I don't really know, but have to keep replacing the bulb every 4 to 5 mos. as it just doesn't last. Those things are expensive too- (the Zoo med Ultra Sun CFL 10 watt @ $8 bucks a bulb!)
    I'm not using the hood now ~just covering the tank with a glass top. So now I need a light!
    Amazon has several clamp on LED's but not sure they will fit as they show them on frameless (thinner) tanks.
    Has anybody come up with a good LED for a mini bow tank or other solution?
    Thanks

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

You can put LED strip lights on top of the glass. Maybe something like these?

3. OP
    OP
    foxhill2

Thanks, TexasDomer! The Petsolutions one looks interesting but my tank is 14" wide so at 12" that one's probably not gonna work. The other one looks like it might work so thanks will definately check it out! I missed that one when I researched (or it isn't available on Amazon).

4. TexasDomer

If your tank is 14", a 12" strip would work, and probably better than the other one, which I think is 18".

5. kidster9700

kidster9700Well Known MemberMember

i don't want to steal the thread, but a quick question, does anyone know if those strip LED lights are ever made as like, heat lamps?

6. TexasDomer

LEDs don't produce much heat at all, so they wouldn't be good for heating an aquarium.

7. kidster9700

kidster9700Well Known MemberMember

(i meant more like for reptiles, but this answers the question)

8. OP
    OP
    foxhill2

You're right....I thought about that later: :happy0034: The Marineland info says it's 11" by 4" by1" high but still think I prefer the other one. Thanks again

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice